How far in advance do you start packing?

We leave in less than 2 weeks and I started prepping for packing 2 days ago. 1 month pre trip I went through my disney bag to take stock of what I had: old MBs, unused ponchoa, glows ticks, kids coloring packs, unused autograph books. I went through it all again this weekend and made a list of what I needed to buy, then I went through and picked outfits for myself and my daughters for the trip.

I normally wouldn't actually pack until a few nights before the trip, but since we are flying this time I am packing the suitcase this weekend, we leave the next friday.

I am traveling with my stroller twins so I am attempting to check 1 bag and 1 bag only for us, so I need to make sure it fits and is under the weight limit!

3-5 days. The suitcase that's being packed has to set in a corner of the living room so I start packing the first one 4-5 days out. Pack extra shoes for each of us and most of our clothing. Then at 2 days out the first suit case is finished and I can start on the second and if needed third to make sure we have all those extras I don't want to forget. Then the night before I pack the toiletries bag.

I start my packing list, which identifies outfits and such, about 1-2 weeks before departure. I start pulling stuff and laying it in my prep area a week before, largely because I am packing for 3 of us (DH is in charge of packing his own stuff). I usually start putting stuff in suitcases either 1 week out or a few days before, so I can estimate space needs. Night before, everything is in except what is used in the morning. Then grab stuff in morning and seal bags.

I pull the suitcases out 2 weeks before and start gathering things and putting them aside. By about 1 week out, I have all the laundry done that I need and have the clothes set aside. I actually pack everything in about 2 days out to make sure everything fits and my weight limits are in check for the plane.

Usually just the day before. I'm a solo traveler so don't need tons. Maybe I'm just a typical male.

Shoes, things I don't use at home & general "stuff," about a week before, but I don't pack any clothes until the night before. I just put everything together & leave it on the hangers until then. I know I'm going to have to iron anyway, but I'd rather deal with as few wrinkles as possible.

My daughter decided she wanted to pack yesterday, and we discovered that she's outgrown a good bit of summer things, bathing suits and shoes! So now we are prepared and won't be running around last minute buying the things she needs. Hopefully the weather forecast looks good and we won't have to repack for cooler weather o_O

When I was younger I would sometimes start packing as much as a month out I was so excited. Then I started to plan outfits and write out what I would bring and pack it a few weeks ahead.... now I'm throwing things together right before it's time to leave for the airport!

We don't do clothes packing until the night before. But since we drive we do stock up on a lot of stuff so as we buy things we have a "Disney" corner in our guest room, this happens several months before we go!

I'm packing for my family of 4 (incl. my DH), so I usually start piling toiletries and stuff in the spare bedroom about a month before. About 2-3 months prior, I'll start to make a list of things we need to buy(sandals, swimsuits for kids, etc.).

We're 2 weeks out and were just talking last night about getting a suitcase out to start packing things here and there.

One thing we did differently this time - we typed up a packing list at about 6 weeks out. This has given us a chance to run out and pick up odds and ends we need & don't have without it being a last minute rush. I'm glad we did - our oldest no longer has any shorts that fit, and while Target is selling swimsuits, the haven't yet stocked shorts (what?!). Nothing an online order can't solve, but way easier with a month + to go!

As the child of two parents who ALWAYS wait until the night before to pack, I usually start about 1-2 weeks in advance getting things together. I keep my suitcase in the corner of my bedroom and toss things into it as I come across them, and the suitcase is usually packed two days before we leave. The night before all I have to do is pack my carry-on bag!

I am such an overplanner so I usually think about what to pack about two or three weeks before and start pulling stuff out of my closet the week before. Nothing actually gets packed until the night before, though.

I usually start packing a month or two before our trip. I'm always afraid I'll forget something if I wait until the last minute.

We start packing as soon as we return! We have stuff that is only used in Florida so it lives in the suitcase in the spare room. We always take new t-shirts, tops etc so when they are bought they are packed away. I keep a notepad with a note of everybody's clothes on it. Our cases are fully packed and good to go except toilet bags and perhaps footwear at least a month before we go.

We have 3 weeks to go and I'm already getting antsy to start packing! Just curious when everyone else starts packing so I know if I'm totally crazy or not :)

I can't start that early or I forget what I packed and have to re-do it. I pack everything I can the weekend before we leave (we usually leave on a Friday or Saturday) and then make a list of everything I could not pack so I can pack it the night before or morning of leaving and not forget anything.

I'm a super planner. I got back in December...and I have already started stashing some things in the suitcase. Yep, I have OCD. :)

I go down about once a month so I really do not unpack I do put my cloths away ( and wash them) and food that is left over but the things I only use a disney stays in my disney bag, about 2 or 3 days before I leave again I will see what I have and what I need to buy then the day before I leave I will do laundry and pack my close I would wait till the day of if I could but I leave at 2 or 3 AM to drive down. if I forget some thing there are plenty of stores near by that I could get the oh I forgot item so I do not street to much just as long as I have my medical equipment and medicine that I can not get at the local pharmacy I am fine.

I make a list months in advance and then tweak it as we get closer. I keep a box in my spare room closet where I'll throw things I pick up for Disney whenever I buy them or see them. I'll get out the suitcases and lay them on the bed in the spare room about 3 weeks before, and start putting things I won't need before we leave in there and really narrow down my list, so I can start buying things we need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter