How full is the ship on Nassau port day?

cpfolk

Mouseketeer
I just booked a last minute 3 night Dream Cruise for November. This is a new ship for us and will be only DH and me. I’m not sure whether to book a beach port adventure or hang by the pool. Crowd level on the ship will probably be the deciding factor. Seems I’m reading that many people decide to stay onboard and with less than 70 days out all port adventure less one are still available. For those with recent experience, does it feel like a sea day when in Nassau judging by the number of people on deck?

Critty

Two months out, that is pre-planning in our book. We have booked week of!:rotfl2:

Have done the 4 night and 3 night a couple of times and it seems to vary from sailing to sailing on this itinerary. The trend seems to be the crowds are a little lighter until about lunchtime. If you don’t book something I would probably play on the ship for a while, grab a late lunch then head off the ship for a few minutes in the afternoon to stretch the legs.

There is a difference between a sea day and nassau, however it's not a huge one. the pools are still busy (not sure about adult pool) but not as nuts as a sea day. I agree with someone above that it seems less crowded before noon, then more so after lunch.

Not much of a difference. The mornings aren't that bad but during the afternoon, it felt like a sea day.

I think many of us first time cruisers.. decided the port adventures where either 1. too expensive Altantis is insanely priced. 2. or too long ( not wanting to committ to a whole day on a short sailing.

So we got off the boat at 10-11 am.. walked about to say we were there and then got back on the boat around 1pm.

adding to the afternoon crowds

Thanks. Think I will look into a beach day somewhere. I appreciate the feedback!

IMO almost as busy as a sea day. Nassau just isn't that great of a port anymore, again IMO. I also don't think it is particularly kid friendly which results in a lot of families staying on board. The last time we were there the only thing that looked remotely interesting was Atlantis. DH about had a stroke when I told him I wanted to spend several hundred dollars more to go to another resort when we could just stay on the ship with all of its amenities we had already paid for.

I was wondering, what can you do in Nassau if you do not book an excursion? I've never been on a cruise, so totally clueless!!

I think many of us first time cruisers.. decided the port adventures where either 1. too expensive Altantis is insanely priced. 2. or too long ( not wanting to committ to a whole day on a short sailing.

So we got off the boat at 10-11 am.. walked about to say we were there and then got back on the boat around 1pm.

adding to the afternoon crowds

I was wondering, what can you do in Nassau if you do not book an excursion? I've never been on a cruise, so totally clueless!!

I was wondering the same thing! I have cruised before, but not extensively. Other than shopping and eating, there wasn’t much to do. I don’t think I would get off the ship unless I had a plan.

That said, we each have our own ideas of what makes a cruise enjoyable.

We just left the Dream. On Nassau day the pools and other areas were fairly crowded since the shops were closed and loads of folks decided to not get off the ship in Nassau. We did get off for a few minutes since it was our first time there but found the port so unpleasant that we quickly turned around and went back on the ship.

I was wondering the same thing! I have cruised before, but not extensively. Other than shopping and eating, there wasn’t much to do. I don’t think I would get off the ship unless I had a plan.

That said, we each have our own ideas of what makes a cruise enjoyable.

If you google any location you will find to do and see. Just depends if that is your interest. Nassau there are some touristy things to do in port. Pirate museum, queen‘s staircase. Or just walking Around to see something new and different that doesn’t compare to being at home. Now if these walks and sites are nice or of interest or good that is individual. For us personally I wanted to get the kids off the boat to say we’ve been to the Bahamas officially. And for us to see something different. We walked to Junkanoo beach was “OK”, I wouldn’t want to spend the whole day there. Water was clear and sand nice. Surroundings kinda a dump. Construction next door on. Beach. I believe we spent one hour and then headed back to the boat. My other goal was to buy a magnet which we did. I only just wanted to stress out there are many other things to do besides cruise line sponsored excursions

Curious, what was so unpleasant?

We just left the Dream. On Nassau day the pools and other areas were fairly crowded since the shops were closed and loads of folks decided to not get off the ship in Nassau. We did get off for a few minutes since it was our first time there but found the port so unpleasant that we quickly turned around and went back on the ship.

Nassau has pushy vendors. The port area is also very run down (there's a sign saying they are under refurbishments but... I mean... They are apparently always under refurbishments!) and not very clean. I've never ever seen carriage horses so skinny in my life. Bad drivers. Armed guards in the secured zone. Bars on every windows and doors and people in the shops were NOT friendly.

They have fun excursions... But the port itself is not inviting.

I've been there twice and the day I get off the ship, I will only do excursions.

Nassau has pushy vendors. The port area is also very run down (there's a sign saying they are under refurbishments but... I mean... They are apparently always under refurbishments!) and not very clean. I've never ever seen carriage horses so skinny in my life. Bad drivers. Armed guards in the secured zone. Bars on every windows and doors and people in the shops were NOT friendly.

They have fun excursions... But the port itself is not inviting.

I've been there twice and the day I get off the ship, I will only do excursions.

I have to agree with mevelandry on this. I've been to Nassau at least a half dozen cruises and got off the ship for 2, maybe 3 of those. Walking through a gauntlet of people yelling for your attention and purchase of their wares/services is not fun IMO. Once you get past that chaos, you can walk around town and check out some shops. Nassau is one of a few ports where I would be extra careful touring on your own. Like many impoverished areas, crime is a frequent reality. I know of folks that have really enjoyed their excursions from Nassau either booked through DCL or reputable local companies. Guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to get off the ship to visit a place you've never been, but be aware and use sensible precautions if you are touring on your own.

And as an aside, it seems so many of the youtube videos I have seen of folks being left behind by their cruise ship seem to happen in Nassau. :confused3 :laughing: So folks, if you are not doing a DCL excursion, make SURE to be back well before all aboard time! And have fun whatever you decide to do in Nassau! :goodvibes

I'm not a big fan of the Nassau port, but if you've never been it can be fun to wander around a bit. One time I went we took a taxi to Atlantis, cost $4 for two of us and we walked around the beach and hotel. To go into the Aquarium or pool area of Atlantis is way over priced in my opinion.

I went to Nassau in December on the Dream and the ship was semi-full. The morning was considerably less crowded and it increased as the day went on. On the ship you can swim, go on the water slides, eat in the main dining room (one will be open) or the buffet. They will have movies running in the theater. We stayed on the ship, swam and went on the aqauaduck with no wait and just relaxed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts