How has your cable cutting experience been?

We might be some of the last people on the planet to have a land line and cable and will be cutting the cord in 30 days. We at the same time will be changing our internet from cable to fiber optics (now offered in our area with what I would consider decent pricing). (Our primary email addresses are related to our cable company -- My bad to set those up vs using email address that were not provider dependent 15 years ago, but my ignorance then.), and we are updating lots of accounts, etc. with our new email addresses (not tied to a service provider) that I just setup before switching over. At the same time, we are updating lots of accounts with our cell phone numbers instead of our land line number too or taking out landline to just have our cell phone numbers as contact numbers. This part is painful for sure, but doable.

We'll be doing the AT&T fiber optics up to 300 Mbps plan for internet (tier above the basic option) and the second level of AT&T TV called Choice (streaming on fiber optics not cable or DISH). Fiber Optics is relatively new in our area. This is the first streaming service that I found that includes in their 90 channels (second of five tiers that they offer) all 14 channels that we watch and want to have access too, and unlike Charter we don't have to pay an extra $15 a month for Hallmark and a cooking channel DH who is retired likes and $10 extra a month for a sports upgrade, just to get the Tennis channel (the only sport we follow and my husbands very favorite channel - the one he watches the most) on top of Expanded Basic. Those are included in the 90 channel Choice tier. Also, for DH there is one box and when you turn it on it will be a lot like cable, going right to TV without and an extra step. And every channel he is interested is right there (no need to go to the Apple TV and do other streaming, etc.). It has a channel guide and a DVR type option too (makes the streaming experience very much like the cable experience which my retired husband will appreciate -- happy husband, happy life lol). Reviews say that this is an expensive option for streaming, but a fabulous channel lineup and the most like the cable experience. Reviews of the fiber optics 300 Mbps plan are fantastic. A big complaint about what we are going with on the TV side is the two year contact as well as it being more expensive than other streaming options, so I am not at all suggesting that this is a good option for everyone for sure. It's a big savings over cable for us, though, and the first combination of things that I've found that I thought would satisfy DH. Our wonderful young 20s son who is living with us to save money right now will have access to everything too thru his Apple TV (with charter - no box for his TV -- he doesn't have DVR access, etc.) He has some of his own streaming services that we have access to too that he enjoys and uses, but that we rarely use -- Amazon, Netflix, Disney Plus).

I am now working at home full time with the company I work for (They are releasing 1/3 of our office space, and I just went back to work for a quick visit to clean out my office last week - first time back since March 12th), and although my cable internet has been fairly stable, it is sometimes (video especially) a little shaky in Zoom meetings and in Microsoft Teams calls. Also DS who lives with us has been unhappy with download speeds of movies, videos, etc. (sometimes it works fast and other times it's really slow for him). He works different hours than I do too and has noticed degradation since I have been working full time from home.

I looked into cutting the cord about two years ago, but at that time even though our cable bill would have gone in 1/2, we would have only been able to get seven of the 14 channels we watch. Our per channel cost of what we watch would actually have been the same. With DH recently retired and not being on that tight a budget, this for us was not the time to get rid of half of the channels that DH likes to watch either. Also thru cable internet, streaming was sometimes pretty iffy for us with lags and issues sometimes downloading things (from what I read the fiber optics and higher tier we are getting should take care of that issue).

I will report back after we make the switch. I am excited. I have had Charter cable for 31 years and am so ready to cut the cord.

Last edited:
@kathy884 enjoy your new fiber and cord cutting. Assuming you are getting symmetrical service, should be same 300 up and down. Once everything is up and working you should notice a big change in your zoom quality as the cable upload speeds are awful and more so when a lot of cable customers are online doing the same thing.

We are in the process. A couple of weeks ago we got an antenna for local channels. That works - most of the time. Occasionally there are reception issues though they can usually be solved by repositioning the antenna. It's kind of a pain, though, because I'd like to just be able to mount it on the wall and be done with it. I'll have to give Locast a try. I'd be happy to pay $5/month for the ad-free version if it works well for us and is more dependable than the antenna.

We also signed up for Sling. That's been great. Really no complaints at all. Excellent channel line up. Good app. And crystal clear picture. That's $30/month.

I promised my daughter I wouldn't cancel cable until after the Supernatural finale airs next month just in case we have any trouble getting CW on the antenna that night. But once that has occurred, I plan to call Comcast and make the change.

For those who have Comcast, how much are you paying for internet only service?

We are in the process. A couple of weeks ago we got an antenna for local channels. That works - most of the time. Occasionally there are reception issues though they can usually be solved by repositioning the antenna. It's kind of a pain, though, because I'd like to just be able to mount it on the wall and be done with it. I'll have to give Locast a try. I'd be happy to pay $5/month for the ad-free version if it works well for us and is more dependable than the antenna.

We also signed up for Sling. That's been great. Really no complaints at all. Excellent channel line up. Good app. And crystal clear picture. That's $30/month.

I promised my daughter I wouldn't cancel cable until after the Supernatural finale airs next month just in case we have any trouble getting CW on the antenna that night. But once that has occurred, I plan to call Comcast and make the change.

For those who have Comcast, how much are you paying for internet only service?
$80-$100. (2 different homes)

Saving $35 a month on average here. Switch from Direct TV who could care less about customer service anymore and landed on YouTube TV. The only expense I had upfront was getting the Roku's on the TVs. I originally had firesticks but I am now swearing off Amazon and Google for streaming devices as they both tend to limit what apps you can run. Been just over a year now and can't imagine ever going back to cable or satellite. My word of caution is really look deep into the programming you want. YTTV is missing History channel which was a hard one to swallow but no streaming service is perfect.

My word of caution is really look deep into the programming you want.
That's really good advice. We found that the only channel we cared about that we were losing was Freeform. No matter which way you go, you're likely to lose something. Just make sure it isn't a channel you really like and watch regularly.

That's really good advice. We found that the only channel we cared about that we were losing was Freeform. No matter which way you go, you're likely to lose something. Just make sure it isn't a channel you really like and watch regularly.

Freeform has its own app. You might have to share it from a phone to the tv and I don't know how soon they show new shows on it. A lot of stations have them.

Freeform has its own app. You might have to share it from a phone to the tv and I don't know how soon they show new shows on it. A lot of stations have them.
Many networks have their own app but many also require you to sign in through your TV provider so once we drop Comcast we will lose that access. Though a friend already told me she’d share her sign in with me so we won’t actually lose access.

I don't know any Gen Z/milennial (my demographic) that has cable unless they live with their parents or it's included with rent. I get the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle for $13/month and I feel like it's plenty reasonable. That is Hulu with ads but I don't mind the ads because they're still less than cable TV ads, lol! I also have Amazon Prime and use Prime Video occasionally. I don't use Netflix because it hasn't really been worth the price for me personally. Any other entertainment I get free from YouTube. Or if you have a Roku TV, there's a lot of free content on those too! (adult swim app has free 24 hour streams and certain episodes available, for example) Cut the cable, you won't regret it.

I will say I am not one that cares to keep up with new TV shows and episodes, but even if you did PPV for new episodes you'd save more than having cable, I bet.

I'm pretty content with just hulu, Disney+, Netflix and YouTube. Only thing I really miss is Spongebob. But I don't really see the point in me paying for cable if I'm just going to really watch one show. I'm sure eventually all these newer seasons will come out on DVD. If you don't really watch a lot of the channels then it might be best to cut and save money.

I'm in the process of getting rid of satellite right now. I resisted for a long time because: 1) most streaming services don't have all the Discovery channels (which are pretty much all I watch); and 2) I needed to replace my 20-year old TVs and I thought that would be far more expensive than it really was. I've signed up for Philo at $20 per month and my DirecTV service - costing $132.10 per month - ends Tuesday. My internet charge ($69.99 per month) will not change. I'm not thrilled by the menu style of changing channels, but I'll learn to love it to save over $1,300 per year.

We’ve been since cable for a few years. I tried live tv but every time we subscribed theyd raise prices and now we just do Hulu, Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. We like it, we don’t use prime much and since I don’t find good deals we’ll be canceling when time comes.
I paid for three years on Disney plus which was heck cheap...and I don’t see us canceling the other two subscription. I am looking into getting a tv subscription because I do love those cheesy hallmark Christmas movies. Lol. It does beat paying an expensive cable bill.

we aren’t big sorts fan so no loss there.

We’ve been since cable for a few years. I tried live tv but every time we subscribed theyd raise prices and now we just do Hulu, Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. We like it, we don’t use prime much and since I don’t find good deals we’ll be canceling when time comes.

I am looking into getting a tv subscription because I do love those cheesy hallmark Christmas movies. Lol. It does beat paying an expensive cable bill.
With cable, we always joke that we're paying $200/month for 200 channels and there's nothing good on.

Now we joke that Sling has most of the same channels and there's still nothing good on, but at least it's only costing us $30.

We use the Disney+ bundle w/Hulu and Espn+, Frndly TV, Prime and Netflix. I sometimes sub in another channel from time to time just to watch something specific and then drop it when we're finished. We had YTTV for awhile, but after their price increases decided the little bit we were watching on there wasn't worth it. We pay about $100 less per month now than we did when we had DirecTV. Our internet price remained the same because we were never bundled with cable. Actually, it went down a little because I called a couple of months ago looking for promotions, and got better speed for lower price. For $1200 bucks a year less, I can get over whatever oddities and hiccups streaming offers when it comes to the interface.

FYI Hulu airs Freefrom shows. $5.99/month for the ad supported version. If you wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday you might even be able to get it for $1.99/month for the first year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter