How long does a temporary crown last?

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
I broke a tooth (well the oral surgeon broke it when he took my wisdom teeth out several years ago). The repair finally failed, and I was in pain a few months ago. So I started the process to get it fixed way before the pandemic hit the US. The whole process took a few months. Five appointments - consult with dentist and referral to endodontist, endodontist consult, root canal appointment, back to dentist for tooth prep and temporary crown. The final appointment is on Thursday for the permanent crown. I don’t want to go now!

How long will my temporary crown last if I baby it and don’t chew on that side? I’m thinking it would be better to wait until August? I live in Virginia if that makes any difference. All dentist offices are ordered closed except for emergencies, which the dentist said a crown is. I don’t know what to do.

I had a temporary put in part spring and had it for almost three weeks before being replaced. DD had her temporary for five weeks. She had to postpone her permanent being placed due to an orchestra trip for school, the the dentist was sick. At week 4 a piece broke off.

Honestly, I’d go and get the procedure done. Some dentist offices are only doing emergency procedures and not everyday cleanings. If you go there and only there you’ll probably be fine. Just toss the clothes you wear into the laundry once at home. Then shower.

There's no way of predicting how long the temporary adhesive will keep hold, I would think until August is highly unlikely. I understand your wariness, but honestly I would probably go ahead in your situation. I'm wondering how easy it's going to be for the dental profession to reopen for business after this considering most of them have stripped out the bulk of their protective gear to donate it for medical front liners.

I wouldn't trust it for too long. It can pop off pretty easily. Also, they aren't nearly as strong as an actual crown. I once had one crack right open, and then crack the stub of a tooth below it, while I was eating a candy bar. Get an actual crown as soon as you can.

I broke a tooth (well the oral surgeon broke it when he took my wisdom teeth out several years ago). The repair finally failed, and I was in pain a few months ago. So I started the process to get it fixed way before the pandemic hit the US. The whole process took a few months. Five appointments - consult with dentist and referral to endodontist, endodontist consult, root canal appointment, back to dentist for tooth prep and temporary crown. The final appointment is on Thursday for the permanent crown. I don’t want to go now!

How long will my temporary crown last if I baby it and don’t chew on that side? I’m thinking it would be better to wait until August? I live in Virginia if that makes any difference. All dentist offices are ordered closed except for emergencies, which the dentist said a crown is. I don’t know what to do.

You've gone this far in the process so go ahead and be finished with it. Your mouth will thank you:).

If staff are wearing masks (and naturally, gloves), it should be ok. If not, ask them to. I would probably call to discuss your concerns with the dentist him or herself.

If staff are wearing masks (and naturally, gloves), it should be ok. If not, ask them to. I would probably call to discuss your concerns with the dentist him or herself.
The problem specifically with dentists offices is the use of high speed drills which can aerosolize the virus under certain conditions, and the virus can live up to 3 hours like that and be transmissible simply by breathing the air.

Dental professionals at increased risk of exposure to novel coronavirus

Full disclosure: my husband is a dentist. While not a "I must see the dentist today" type emergency, a temporary crown isn't made to withstand long term, ongoing use. If it breaks or gets lost you end up with a "must be seen asap" emergency. Your dentist manages communicable diseases daily (AIDS, HIV, hepatitis, colds, flu, etc) and as long as he/she and staff are wearing gloves/masks/eye protection and cleaning all surfaces with the appropriate methods your chance of exposure is less than going to the grocery store.

I know that DH no longer allows anyone other that the patient admittance into his office, no one is allowed to wait in the waiting room, when you arrive, you are instructed to call and a staff member will come out and get you when they are ready for you. They take the patient's temperature prior to entering the building as well as staff members temps at the beginning and middle of the day. There are also a few extra questions being asked of patients (have you traveled out of the country, to New York, New Jersey, etc, does anyone you are in contact with have the virus or has anyone been tested for the virus, etc).

Better to get the new crown in now and not wait, IMO

I had just gotten my first root canal on March 6, so I have a temp filling right now. My dentist closed up shop two days before my appointment for the crown fitting, and they're ordered closed until at least May 1. I've been told that temp fillings last 6-8 weeks, and I'm pretty nervous. I saw that there is a product you can purchase to mix your own temp adhesive in the event you lose a filling, it's typically available at any pharmacy, but OF COURSE it's sold out everywhere.

The problem specifically with dentists offices is the use of high speed drills which can aerosolize the virus under certain conditions, and the virus can live up to 3 hours like that and be transmissible simply by breathing the air.

Dental professionals at increased risk of exposure to novel coronavirus

During this time, any dentist doing fillings, or really any work, without a dental dam is a fool. Many of the procedures mentioned in this article aren't being done on an emergency type basis (no scaling of teeth-that would fall under a cleaning and no one is doing routine cleanings now if they have a lick of sense).

During this time, any dentist doing fillings, or really any work, without a dental dam is a fool. Many of the procedures mentioned in this article aren't being done on an emergency type basis (no scaling of teeth-that would fall under a cleaning and no one is doing routine cleanings now if they have a lick of sense).
I totally agree. Problem is, we really can't trust anyone to do the right thing anymore. People are defying government directives simply because they don't agree with them. And this includes doctors, nurses - people who should know better.

Perhaps bridges fare better than crowns, but I had a temporary bridge last several months in the early ‘90s while I was away at college. Could easily have been 3 months from summer to Thanksgiving break. They put another temporary on until Christmas since permanent wasn’t ready. I also kept a temporary bridge during chemo. It was time to replace original bridge (20 years—I seem to be lucky with mine). This was October 10ish. 2011 until last week of January or early February. Whenever everybody felt safe for me to go back with prophylactic antibiotics.

DD had a temp crown put in in mid August. She needed to see the Endodontist before a permanent crown could be put on. This came up unexpectedly and she left for school 7 hours away right after the temp crown was put in. She had to wait till January before the Endodontist could see her because she was not coming home (only a few days for Thanksgiving and they were not open then). The temp crown lasted until Thanksgiving. Weirdly enough she was on her way home from school for Thanksgiving break and it fell out. The dentist was able to see her and put in a 2nd temporary crown. This crown only lasted a few weeks and she just went without until the Endo appt in early January. So the first crown lasted 3 months and the second one 3 weeks.

ETA Putting a permanent crown on is easy and quick. I would think you will be ok to get it done. They just pull the temp off and put the new one in. Shouldn't take very long at all.

there might be different types of temporary crowns. the ones that I have had in the past were supposed to last about a week. the time it takes for the mold to go out to a separate office to make the crown. I've never had any luck with these. they always seemed to come loose in a day or so.

a few years ago the dentist I go to got in-house capacity to produce the crown, so it is all done in the same day. two sessions a few hours apart.

got an email from the dentist and they have gone to a "parking lot" waiting room if you prefer. call them on your cell phone when you get there and they will call you when it is time to come in.

I had just gotten my first root canal on March 6, so I have a temp filling right now. My dentist closed up shop two days before my appointment for the crown fitting, and they're ordered closed until at least May 1. I've been told that temp fillings last 6-8 weeks, and I'm pretty nervous. I saw that there is a product you can purchase to mix your own temp adhesive in the event you lose a filling, it's typically available at any pharmacy, but OF COURSE it's sold out everywhere.
Not to worry you, but my temporary filling after the root canal started coming out after a week and a half. I called my dentist and he moved my temporary crown appointment up 3 days.

Based on all the feedback, I am going to keep my permanent crown appointment for Thursday.

I had a temporary crown for I think two weeks? And it showed no sign of degrading. So, I dunno, a few weeks?

Ask your dentist???

Last edited:
Not to worry you, but my temporary filling after the root canal started coming out after a week and a half. I called my dentist and he moved my temporary crown appointment up 3 days.

Based on all the feedback, I am going to keep my permanent crown appointment for Thursday.

Not an option for me, unfortunately. Dentists are provincially regulated (I'm Canadian) and they were given the order to treat emergencies only - so bleeding, infection etc... They could lose their license if they don't comply.

OP here. The dentist’s office just left a message cancelling my appointment. Hmmm. I called them back and left a message. We’ll see what they say. I may have to wait until the temporary crown either falls off or breaks before I am seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!