How many DVC'ers stay at other resorts besides DVC??

We seriously are short on points, hoping something is announced soon re CR so we can round out our DVC. Always seem to be looking for a place to stay for a few days after 5 or 6 @ DVC. Only problem is that @ times (late June for ex. they don't always offer AP discount) and AAA has beat it a couple times when i price it out.
Our kids luv the AS Mu & Mo & CR MK view.:cloud9: I'd like to be able to stay @ all the onsite resorts; think they all have their own special charm.

Offsite, Loews is fantastic (along w/FOTL perc)-there is an expansion planned - rumours of new hotel. Sheraton Vistana was great last year via a TS promo (no presentation:thumbsup2 ).

Yeah--- we do!! In fact we're staying at Pop for a week in August (we've used all of our points taking my parents for 10 days in January and staying in a 2br--- which I don't regret a bit, because we made some great memories on that trip--- right before my mom started chemo for breast cancer, we only have 150 pts, so we knew we were going to be in point debt for a while with that trip---- I don't mind though). DVC was so terrific for that trip, getting to all stay together in a villa so much better than 2 hotel rooms. But, I don't need to do that all of the time. Stayed at ASMo last August too for Free Dining. I actually really want to stay at all the resorts---so I really don't want all of our trips to be DVC. Best of both worlds if you ask me!!!! We were going to double our DVC points once I'm out of nursing school, but I'm not really sure we want to. We've been discussing this. We have enough that we can take some DVC trips when we want, but not feel bad to stay at non-DVC resorts when taking last minute trips etc. I like the values, the moderates, deluxes--- all fun if you ask me (just different)!! I do love that DVC AP discount!!!! We always have APs now--- so easier to take more trips!!! Plus it's nice if we can get an AP rate (though doesn't look like it for August--- AAA rate will have to do)!! We were able to pay for almost our entire stay on Disney Visa Rewards though, so that's pretty cool.

I don't mind taking non-DVC trips, but we're not split-trip people. I wouldn't stay non-dvc before a DVC trip (my husband can't handle moving during a vacation--- he gets frustrated too easily, and crabby)--- so we need to pick one place and settle down--- dvc resort or non-dvc.

We always do! Can't stand using high points for Fri & Sat nights. So, we arrive Sunday's, check into the DVC resort of choice for the visit, and check out on Thursday AM, hop over to whichever resort we booked. We love CSR, it's so beautiful!!

I also stay at other resorts to save on weekend points. I will always stay at the "other" resort first though so I end my vacation with a DVC resort. For ex: we may stay at a value resort on Fri and Sat night, move to our DVC resort and use points for one week, Sun - Sun and stay on at the resort until Wed or Thurs using the week day points.

We generally book DVC for 12 nights (Sun - Fri)... and will get WDW hotel room for the 1st night (Sat)... bringing our total to 13 nights. This minimizes the number of expensive weekend nights that we need to book through DVC.

Traveling from the PNW, we cant arrive until late in the day. We do not even unpack... we just spend a night and open only our "change bag"... then we can have our luggage delivered to our condo the next day.

This year worked out a bit different. I used II to exchange into DVC for our first week. It saved me over 300 DVC points, and plus I did not have to pay for the hotel room. The cost was nil because I used a condo that was much less expensive than DVC for the trade. The downside was that we had to change rooms after the first week here at BWV.

/Jim

Just curious as to how many will stay at Disney resorts other than DVC maybe to stretch points, maybe to get in an extra trip to the world when points run out. We are lucky in that we we can stat at Shades of Green and will probably stay there in Jan. if we go then again. I just don't see us going once a year anymore. LOL
While we need our BWV stay each January ... we don't mind staying at an off-site timeshare for our "fun" visits. In order of preference: Summer Bay Resorts, Vistana, Wyndham Palms (now Mystic Palms?), Westgate Towers, and Orange Lake Country Club.

We 'pad' with the value resorts all the time.

We're seriously thinking of trying camping at FW a night or two...

Anything to make the vacation longer and avoid the dreaded point slam on fri/sat nights.

We're spending 3 nights at the Dolphin this July, before we check in at BCV.

We also like the Marriott Vacation Club resorts in Orlando - especially Cypress Harbour and Horizons. Nice especially if you want to do non Disney stuff - Universal or Seaworld. There are more Orlando resorts I plan on trying soon (Orlando has some really beautiful vacation club resorts).

Sometimes we stay at a moderate if we have a late flight. I always try to never check into DVC late if I can help it (last choice of rooms - ugh). Our daughter occasionally stays a night at Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista before checking into DVC.

The beds at the values are too small for us to stay in (they say they are full sized, but I doubt it). The beds seem more like 3/4's instead of full size. The values are themed cute, though. But I want a comfortable, decent sized mattress more than cute.

DF and I will use some of our points at DL in Dec. but that will be the first time we have used them outside of DVC resorts. If we dont have the points avail, then we usually book at CSR or POFQ for cash rather than stay off site. We have a rule, once we set foot on property, we dont leave for any reason until it is time to go home. Dorky, maybe. Expensive, definitely, but thats our rule:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter