How much social distancing do you do?

Personally don’t think you can respect others if you’re ignoring public health recommendations. Visiting family, shaking hands, etc and then going into essential public spaces that elderly and immunocompromised people (or anyone else, frankly) need to go to without knowing if you’re an asymptomatic carrier seems pretty blatantly disrespectful to me.

True! Hopefully this person is at least sanitizing and hand washing regularly enough that the chances of them passing it on is lessened. They should at least wear a sign that says "I haven't been taking this as seriously as you" so you know not to get too close.

True! Hopefully this person is at least sanitizing and hand washing regularly enough that the chances of them passing it on is lessened. They should at least wear a sign that says "I haven't been taking this as seriously as you" so you know not to get too close.

I really did laugh out loud when I read your post but sooooooo true. We need shirts, buttons, posters, or whatever on this!!!

Our household consists of myself, DH, DS and DD. We have completed two full weeks of social distancing. My DH started week three of teleworking today. My DD, a junior, is continuing school from home. Virginia has already closed schools through the school year so this is her new normal.
In the last two weeks, we have only left the house to walk, grocery shop and to pick up takeout. Well, except we have found this an excellent time to let our daughter practice driving. We live in a VERY HIGH traffic area and the roads are great now.

Then there is my DS, who is an essential employee. He works 5 days per week at a grocery store. So while three of us have distanced ourselves really well, chances remain that our DS will bring it home to us anyway.

I really did laugh out loud when I read your post but sooooooo true. We need shirts, buttons, posters, or whatever on this!!!

Hey, if ya'll want me to wear a button, no problem. I just realize how ineffectual this is. Unless you are going out there in full hazmat suits, you are just as likely to pick up the virus from the receipt a glove wearing cashier gives you (because those gloves also touched the cash that someone gave them 30 minutes ago, their face, things on the conveyor line touched by EVERYONE that has checked out that day, and then some, etc), as you are from me standing 3 feet away, instead of the magical 6. But sneeze shields will save us all.

Hey, if ya'll want me to wear a button, no problem. I just realize how ineffectual this is. Unless you are going out there in full hazmat suits, you are just as likely to pick up the virus from the receipt a glove wearing cashier gives you (because those gloves also touched the cash that someone gave them 30 minutes ago, their face, things on the conveyor line touched by EVERYONE that has checked out that day, and then some, etc), as you are from me standing 3 feet away, instead of the magical 6. But sneeze shields will save us all.
I don’t think you realize, actually. The point is that you limit outside contacts by *not* going out as frequently as you are so that the cashier has less of a chance of getting the virus from people who are bouncing around town.

If everyone who checks out that day only went to *essential places for essential purposes following social heath guidelines*, then the chance of that cashier coming into contact with the virus dramatically reduces.

Still working. At home I'm alone. Weekends I end up at the ex's with the kids.

The ex works at Lowes and is working all weekend (busiest they've ever been and customers she says are the nastiest they've ever been.) They are 19 and 16 so they're fine by themselves, but it seems something happens every weekend and I'm out there.

It's the ex's house, but my kids are there so when they text me saying lightning struck somewhere close, flashed right outside their bedroom and now the power isn't working in just the bedroom and sparks were coming from the wall outlet, well, I'm going to go out and fix it.

So, seems every weekend I am out at the ex's house with the kids, but during the week it's just work and home. Need to do a grocery run and drop stuff off at mom's, but working night turn so no time until Friday.

I'm still going out on limited but not strictly bare-minimum errands. For example, grocery shopping gets done every other Friday as usual but I might stop at a drive through or grab take-out on my way home as well. DD18 is driving on those errands, because she's a new driver and needs the practice since she goes months without access to a car when at school, but stays in the car and plays on her phone while I do the actual shopping. The other kids (11 & 22) basically aren't leaving the house at all other than to play in the yard or walk the dog, and we're all still hiking at some lightly trafficked (even now) trails near home to get some exercise and keep from going stir crazy on nice days.

We're also still seeing one family friend, because we're her backup child care plan. She's an essential worker so staying home isn't an option, and her husband is semi-essential and working limited hours. When their hours overlap, her DD comes here rather than going to her parents, who are older and have health issues that make them higher risk even within their age group.

We're not getting together with my mother or MIL at all, which has been hard on them since they haven't seen DD18 since July other than a short visit at Christmas. But they're both old enough to be higher risk and between DD18 traveling cross-country from a place with a high number of cases, via three different airports, almost 2 weeks ago and DH being exposed to a confirmed case at work last week, it just isn't a risk we're willing to take. Fortunately, they both learned to Skype to keep in touch with DD while she was at school, so they're still seeing as much of her as they would have if the school year had proceeded as expected.

We normally travel full time (run a traveling ministry, live in our self-converted school bus). We happened to be at our DD's house when this hit, so we are staying in our bus parked in her driveway, which makes us a six person household (me, DH, DD, DSiL, DGD3 and DGD1).

DSiL is a law enforcement officer, and he's the only one going out regularly, to work and he also occasionally goes to the grocery. The rest of us are staying home except for running to WalMart for pickup orders. We take walks through the neighborhood, always staying at least 6 feet away from anyone we meet - usually we cross the street just to be extra careful.

We're not distancing from each other, though. We watch the grandbabies while DD works from home and the 3yo bounces from the house to our bus a lot. We are not refraining from hugs or kisses.

I agree with you to some extent about being able to pick up the virus on any surface. But it does matter to not have so many people out and in contact with each other. That is just basic science. What I do hope is that people are still taking steps they need to, like washing your hands after you go to the store, and not think that they are "safe" because the store is sanitizing the carts. I also wish that people would stop relying so much on the sanitizers and wash their hand more.

What I do hope is that people are still taking steps they need to, like washing your hands after you go to the store,

Agreed, and not just for this coronavirus version, but whenever any bug is about, or if you are someone more susceptible in general or know those that are.

The bottom line is that for "flattening the curve" to work, you need people like me. According to MIT, "flattening the curve assumes that you actually don’t go too far and that much of the population actually becomes infected and then immune. " https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/. You also need to increase medical capacity, as no matter how flat it gets, there will be a strain on resources.

The strain has a far reaching effect beyond those with COVID19, and lengthing the strain can cause more deaths. How many people are skipping routine physicals and cancer screenings that might have detected something early while it is curable? As I mentioned, I work in construction, which is "essential", but one of our jobs had to stop. It was in a hospital, and it was deemed "dangerous" to have our workers there (despite zero known cases in the hospital). So new diagnostic equipment won't be available this summer that may have saved a life.

Agreed, and not just for this coronavirus version, but whenever any bug is about, or if you are someone more susceptible in general or know those that are.

The bottom line is that for "flattening the curve" to work, you need people like me. According to MIT, "flattening the curve assumes that you actually don’t go too far and that much of the population actually becomes infected and then immune. " https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/. You also need to increase medical capacity, as no matter how flat it gets, there will be a strain on resources.

The strain has a far reaching effect beyond those with COVID19, and lengthing the strain can cause more deaths. How many people are skipping routine physicals and cancer screenings that might have detected something early while it is curable? As I mentioned, I work in construction, which is "essential", but one of our jobs had to stop. It was in a hospital, and it was deemed "dangerous" to have our workers there (despite zero known cases in the hospital). So new diagnostic equipment won't be available this summer that may have saved a life.
You do have a point in a certain way.

They just canceled a major fundraising event for Children's Mercy (pediatric cancer as the main point) that was due to occur in early June. The news story did say with the cancelation means a reduction in funding for the nonprofit hospital. You can still donate to them yourself but there's no doubt the event, filled with several local big name celebrities as well as other celebrities with their appearances at the MLB game playing a game before the MLB game starts and other things boosted the donation by a large amount. Since 2010 they've raised more than 10million for the hospital.

I'm sure many fundraisers have been canceled and will be in the future. That's not to advocate for removal of social distancing efforts but the length of time we may be in this can lead to more. I hadn't even thought about the fundraising events and their effects yet.

I go on the app at 7 am and all of the slots for the day or days that are released are already "sold out" so I'm positive they have shut down pick up for our local stores. It is frustrating. I hate the grocery store as it is and then to go when it's crowded and crazy is horrifying for me. LOL

Luckily they have special hours for healthcare workers so I'm going to use that this week. It's in the evening so I'm hoping everything isn't sold out.
Don’t assume, it’s almost impossible to get a slot here, even 8 days out, and they have pickups all day long, just too many ordering.

Don’t assume, it’s almost impossible to get a slot here, even 8 days out, and they have pickups all day long, just too many ordering.

My friends husband works in corporate for the grocery store chain I use (and corporate has been activated to the stores) and he said they don't the manpower in some stores to cover the online pick up orders. When I go to do my groceries the pick up area is dead. I'm going to ask when I stop in Wednesday.

I’m a Professional firefighter and medic. So it’s work as usual. Shopping at Walmart etc. Honestly, other than not being able to shop at non essential stores. I haven’t changed much of my social life. Kids still have friends over. Etc. Going to gun range.
We are careful to a point. Lots of hand washing etc. But at the same time... life goes on. I’m just not too worried about this. At some point business will have to get back going. Keeping everything closed and all isn’t sustainable. Darn. Just miss going to the movies. Lol. So the walking paths are getting used a lot where we live. Nothing else to do but walk or ride the paths. Etc
Oh. And a lot more single malt scotch consumption. This for sure. Watching Netflix.

Last edited:
4 of us here consisting of DH, 2 DDs ages 15 and 12, and myself. DH works in an essential job and has enough seniority that as long as resturants in our area remain open for drivethru, inside pick up, curbside, and delivery orders will continue to work though he knows he may get bumped from filling their ice cream orders to the main part of the freezer once all the day shift that is going to be moving to nights run out of vacation weeks (those started this week and a number of them have 4-5 weeks of vacation).
Since he already has to go out he is doing our shopping which consists of a larger trip on the weeks we get his paychecks and then just grabbing things that we run out of like milk on the inbetween weeks though he will look for items that we have not been able to find like powdered milk and yeast. He is actually going into the store and will call me with questions like I am in the cereal aisle and I see a, b, and c which do you want me to get (he knows better than to call about high sugar cereals even for 12 year old though we allow a box every 3-4 months as a treat under normal circumstances-we got a box of captain crunch using a coupon I had for it on the 10th and it was gone in less than 2 days so she is not getting another one until at least the middle of May.
15 year old was last in a store on the 14th when I had her run in and grab some resealable bags and some containers while I waited in the car due to my sneezing from allergies-even though I am cautious about sneezing into my elbow people are bad enough with their you've got a cold or the flu your lying about it being allergies this time of year (sorry folks I am not just allergic to rageweed, barley, or corn pollen but the chemicals in the laundry and cleaning aisles which I avoid but just going in the aisle on either side or if they have items on the end and I don't catch it soon enough to go to the opposite side as far away as I can sends me into a reaction that lasts a while) add in covid-19 and I was not dealing with it. 15 year old did go into a few other businesses between that day and the 18th when we finished up with 4-H fruit sale deliveries.
12 year old was last around anyone outside our house on the 17th when she went to what turned out to be her last speech and occupational therapy session for a while. They stopped all group interactions between the kids so it was just seeing her therapists who met her at the door walked her back to one of their offices for a joint session and then walked her back to the door where DH stood back a ways to then walk her to the car. The earliest she will go back is the 14th of April and that is if stay at home orders are lifted on the 10th here (which considering that social distancing guidelines have been extended to the end of April federally I doubt that will happen).
Myself the last I was in a store was on the 10th when the girls and I stopped on our way home from a 4-H meeting to be the last customers in Michaels and then went over to the grocery store to pick up a few things and so I could take pictures of the prices of items needed to make a terryaki stir fry after an altercation over 15 year old's demonstration at the club meeting when she mentioned that she choose her topic because she wanted to show that making one was easy and not complicated like some believe. Person who said that changed tune right there to didn't say it was complicated said it was expensive and didn't have the money but now everyone knows that person is poor (what this person had actually said when the kids were all discussing on two different occasions what theme to have for a meal was chinese food is too complicated to make so it would have to be ordered and who is going to pay for it you to the ones who bring it up there is a difference. Of course this was at the end of the meeting and the leader decided we were not going to stay and work things out it was time to clean up and go because I woud have pointed out that a former friend of mine for reasons I was not going to get into that their only income for food was snap benefits regularly made simple dishes like stir fry for meals and besides this person could sign up to bring rice which is not that expensive (and at the time could be easily found). We wanted to get the prices so that 15 year old could give a cost break down when she gave her demonstration at the county level which was scheduled for early April and will be rescheduled for a later date once it is known if and when things can be rescheduled as well as a comparision of this is what this dish would cost on average at a resturant in our area. (we learned while 15 year old was doing her demonstration for the club there are a number of periods where there is dead air and they get knocked down points for that so this will be a good filler to have as the sauce simmers a little bit to talk about and still be on topic).
DH did stop by and see his parents on the 21st when he was out doing shopping and he could not reach them by phone (ever since they switched to a phone, internet, and cable bundle after their 10 dollar month metered internet plan got dropped because that company went out of business their are times their phone is screwy and they won't leave the cell phone on just in case as that is only used when going out of the house (you no longer have a limited minute plan turn it on in the morning when you get up and turn it off at night when you go to bed please) and he wanted to see if they needed anything). He also stopped in at my parents that day to give them something we had for them and pick up some coupons.
Until this stay at home order is at least lifted any interaction will be his parents will be use the back deck and then call them when he is back in the car ready to drive away so they can wave and say thanks for dropping that by for us. My parents will be leave items just inside the door on the backside of the double car wide double car deep garage in the part known as my dad's wood work shop and then call them when we get home as it is less than 500 yards from our house to their house.
Other than that it is phone call and social media interaction with others though we are looking at planning a time when we go and take a drive to include possibly an area where normally there are not a lot of people to get out and walk a bit. If when we drive back to the parking area which is not seen from the main road and it looks like it is too crowded we will just leave and not stay.

I’m a Professional firefighter and medic. So it’s work as usual. Shopping at Walmart etc. Honestly, other than not being able to shop at non essential stores. I haven’t changed much of my social life. Kids still have friends over. Etc. Going to gun range.
We are careful to a point. Lots of hand washing etc. But at the same time... life goes on. I’m just not too worried about this. At some point business will have to get back going. Keeping everything closed and all isn’t sustainable. Darn. Just miss going to the movies. Lol. So the walking paths are getting used a lot where we live. Nothing else to do but walk or ride the paths. Etc
Oh. And a lot more single malt scotch consumption. This for sure. Watching Netflix.
The point of social distancing is to slow the spread so that more lives can be saved. We are in the middle of the worst hot spot, the thought of kids having friends over is crazy to me. My small town had over 100 infected yesterday, and it’s almost impossible to get tested, so the number of infected it much higher. Death toll was 5 yesterday, I know of 2 men my age (early 50’s) on respirators (at hospitals a half hour away, all vents taken at the local ones). NYC has large refrigerator trucks hauling away bodies. Please take this seriously, since we were hit first, no one realized how bad it is, and now we are paying. We are expected to peak in a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter