How much spending money?

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
So me and DH is in the process of becoming minimalists, and we don't want to buy anything unnecessary on our trip. This is quite opposite to what we've used to do, which is to pretty much just buy anything we wanted when we were on holiday. We're going for 3 weeks in September and we're on the QSDP, so we won't need much for food. It'll probably be a couple of breakfasts at Perkins and meals for a day in Universal and a meal when we go to Florida Mall (I'm not even sure we're going to Florida Mall as we don't want to buy much). That being said, if we really see something we love, we won't deprive ourselves, we'll just be a bit more selective. So can anyone suggest how much we should save for spending money? We've spent so much in the past, I don't even have a clue how much less we would need :confused3

You could just literally take the money for the food in Universal. You’ve got 2 meals a day and 2 snacks, which can be reasonably sized items if you choose well. Whether you really want to go as low as say $200 is up to you. Really nobody can tell you how much to take beyond that as that is what you’ve said you need.

Yes 200 should be plenty for just in case.

How about a credit card that doesn't charge for overseas transactions? That way you've got it if you see something you like and if you don't then you don't have to change dollars back.

Can always take your bank card to withdraw money if you find it scary going with not much. Don't forget to tell them you'll be abroad though.

Are you hiring a car for the duration? If not you need to budget in the cost of getting to and from the Universal parks and any tips. There are public transport options over there but you have to be savvy. Are you planning on a supermarket run before your vacation starts proper? That too can save you a few dollars.

Yes 200 should be plenty for just in case.

How about a credit card that doesn't charge for overseas transactions? That way you've got it if you see something you like and if you don't then you don't have to change dollars back.

Can always take your bank card to withdraw money if you find it scary going with not much. Don't forget to tell them you'll be abroad though.

Yes I do have a credit card I'll bring, just want to make sure I have saved up enough to pay it off straight away if I do use it :)

What about drinks or a few cocktails etc

We don't drink and we'll either get free water in the parks or use snack credits for anything else. Plus we'll get a free refillable mug to use in the hotel.

Are you hiring a car for the duration? If not you need to budget in the cost of getting to and from the Universal parks and any tips. There are public transport options over there but you have to be savvy. Are you planning on a supermarket run before your vacation starts proper? That too can save you a few dollars.

We'll use uber to travel outside the Disney Parks. I think using public transportation will take a long time, so we won't skimp in that area :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!