How muh do you tip at the commissary?

If you go food shopping in NJ - you pretty much bag your own stuff. But living in SC they always have someone to bag, and if I could I probably would tip, but they are not allowed tips, plus they are getting paid by the store.

The baggers in the commissary do not get paid, just with tips.

The surcharge doesn't bother me, it is probably about what I would pay in taxes shopping in a food store.

I hate that the nearest commissary is 2 hours away!

Walmart is so dirty, messy, and I feel like I'm going to get mugged going in there. Half the shelves are empty, and not one person in there has ever had training in Customer Service.

I so agree with this! This is how my Walmart is, plus they are always stocking the shelves in the middle of the day.

I live in New Orleans and our baggers do not take the groceries to your vehicle unless you ask them too. So I usually tip $1-$2 depending on how much we buy. To be truthful they really dont do too much. Our commissary is DECA and I went to the website to figure out the surcharge and here is what I found.

"Surcharge is applied to the total value of each commissary purchase because the Congress has mandated collection of surcharge (currently 5 percent) to pay for commissary construction, equipment and maintenance.

All surcharge dollars collected are returned to commissary patrons in the form of continually improved commissary facilities." Go figure I had no idea.:confused3

I usually tip 2-3 but I also help load the bags into the car.

Be thankful you have a DECA commissary. AAFES ran ours until March of this year and let me tell you the change was instantaneous and noticeable. Not only that, but if they don't have a product you want, if you bring them a UPC and product information they will order it for you.

AAFES had the same surcharge as DECA does, but they were much higher than walmart on most things. I save probably at least 15% with the things I buy on base vs walmart or target, but I also pay attention to what prices things are and get the stuff that is cheaper at one place and so on. (Target is in walking distance of our house so that makes it easy, and Walmart is only 1.5 miles away)

For us..milk, bread, meat are ALWAYS much cheaper on base. other things vary depending on what is on sale/special. We stock up a bit when they have case lot sales. With 3 kids and one on the way we go through alot of food :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter