How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 8/9

juuuliebeth

Mouseketeer
Hello, and welcome to my first trip report! Or a Pre-Trip Report, I guess. I'm headed out on my first big solo trip to Walt Disney World and I'm terribly excited about it. While friends and family are excited for me and I can talk to them about some of this, I’m always afraid of annoying them with it. So here I am. Hopefully y’all can join me in my glee!

I’m fairly new to the DisBoards, but I’m so glad I have joined this community. It’s been a lot of fun. I’m a lurker and people watcher by nature, so participating is a bit intimidating for me. Any helpful tips or suggestions for the trip report are welcome!

Me and Mickey 2 - Cropped.jpg

My name is Julie and I’m a Disney nerd. Aren't we all? I'm from Virginia originally, but living in New York City. I have a full-time "grown up" job, as I like to call it, but I am also a Disney Cast Member on the side. If you find yourself at a Disney Theatrical show in the near future, you might see me in the lobby.

I'll take the time to make a little disclaimer that while I am a Disney employee, my thoughts and feelings in no way represent any part of the Disney company. I work for Disney because I love it. I don't love Disney because I work there. :)

FAVORITES:
Favorite Movie: Lady and the Tramp
Favorite Character: Mickey Mouse and Mary Poppins
Favorite Princess: Belle
Favorite Song: Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Attraction: Splash Mountain
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Restaurant: Homecomin' and 'Ohana
Favorite Disney Theatrical Production: Mary Poppins

Enough about me. How about some trip details? I'll be staying at Disney's Contemporary Resort in a Tower Room with a Bay Lake view. Trip dates are August 16-25. As I said, I'm traveling solo, but I have a couple friends in the Orlando area who I'm hoping to join up with here and there.

ITINERARY:
Thursday, August 16th - Travel and Magic Kingdom
Friday, August 17th - Magic Kingdom
Saturday, August 18th - Epcot
Sunday, August 19th - Hollywood Studios
Monday, August 20th - Disney Springs and Pool Time
Tuesday, August 21st - Universal Studios
Wednesday, August 22nd - Animal Kingdom
Thursday, August 23rd - “Hit-The-Highlights” Day
Friday, August 24th - Magic Kingdom
Saturday, August 25th - Magic Kingdom and Travel

SUMMARY:
All in all, I’ll be in Disney World for TEN DAYS! My longest trip ever. Plus staying at the Contemporary. It’s almost too much. It’s getting to the point where I’m not finding anything about it that I wish I could change. We’ll have to see how FastPass reservations go next week, but otherwise it’s pretty perfect. Hopefully it continues that way!

Coming up will be information about travel, resort reservations, dining, and how I tour. Probably some other things that I think about as well. A lot of the planning has been done, but I still have some things to do. Hope you enjoy reading.

Next Post: Travel and Resort
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-2.3687163/#post-59331911"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/2[/URL]

Last edited:
If you're still with me after all that, here's some information on my travel plans and how I decided on the resort.

TRAVEL:
I’m flying to Orlando from NYC. My airport of choice is Kennedy. And I prefer JetBlue over other airlines. I’ve had very little trouble with them in the past. I signed up for TrueBlue rewards without really thinking about it a couple years ago. Turns out, I had enough points for one leg of my trip. I got the other leg for just around $150. My dates had been showing up at $400 round trip up until this point, so I felt like I scored a huge deal. Especially because I wanted certain times. I’m usually flexible, but I’m in the middle of planning my dream vacation. I was really hoping for the right times, and luckily it worked out. Look at me go!

giphy.gif

My flight to Orlando leaves around 9:30am on Thursday, August 16th. Not so early I have to wake up before the sun, but not so late that I have to wait around to leave. Perfect. That should have me in Orlando around 12:30pm. I’ll take Disney’s Magical Express and I’m hoping to be to the resort around 2pm or so. I always feel that my vacation starts with DME, so I’m oddly excited about this part. As excited as I’ll be to get there, I really enjoy the bus ride and video.

I fly back to NYC on Saturday, August 25th around 7pm. I hate waking up at Disney just to get to the airport. I can never sleep when it’s scheduled like that. I like having a morning in Magic Kingdom to end things and leave a little later. I should be back in NYC around 10pm, which isn’t ideal. It can take time to get home from the airport. But I do have Sunday to recover before work on Monday.

RESORT:
I had originally planned on staying at Pop Century. I thought the newly renovated rooms would work well for a solo traveler - leaving the Murphy Bed as a table for extra room. As a Cast Member, I had a 50% discount, and it came in under $1000 for the whole trip.

In checking the CM discounts later, I came across a 50% offer for the Tower Rooms at the Contemporary. WHAAAAT?!?!? I never see those.

giphy.gif

I’ll see Garden Wing sometimes, and Club Level is usually available too. (Club Level is still too expensive for me, even with a big discount.) I couldn’t believe I found it. So I jumped. I’m go glad I did, as the offer was gone the next week.

I have always wanted to stay at a Tower Room in the Contemporary, and this opportunity might not come around again. It’s a bit much to spend on just myself, but I’m saving really well and had the whole vacation saved already if I stayed at Pop. At the time, I still had four months to save. It was perfect. And it added to making this as close to a dream vacation as I’m likely to get without winning the lottery.

giphy.gif

Next Post: FastPasses
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-2.3687163/#post-59347619"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/2[/URL]

Last edited:
Joining in! I will be there around the same time as you and am looking forward to ALL the fun! What an awesome deal you scored! The perfect, magical way to start off your vacation planning! :)

Joining in! I will be there around the same time as you and am looking forward to ALL the fun! What an awesome deal you scored! The perfect, magical way to start off your vacation planning! :)
Following along! Fellow lover of Belle, I Love Lucy, and gifs here. :wave: We get there Aug. 19!!!

Thanks for following! Can't wait to read about your adventures as well!

Howdy from a fellow Virginian! Sounds like a super fun trip--solo is great 'cause you get to do whatever you want, on your schedule! Staying at the Contemporary...so fancy! :) We're going in September, and I have to say, this part is EXACTLY how I feel:
I fly back to NYC on Saturday, August 25th around 7pm. I hate waking up at Disney just to get to the airport. I can never sleep when it’s scheduled like that. I like having a morning in Magic Kingdom to end things and leave a little later. I should be back in NYC around 10pm, which isn’t ideal. It can take time to get home from the airport. But I do have Sunday to recover before work on Monday.

We're doing the same thing--late flight on Saturday, and then Sunday to recover before back to work. :)

Can't wait to read more :)

I was going to wait and post an update until I got to schedule my FastPasses on Sunday. But I thought I'd post my plans here in case anyone had some feedback. I'm so excited to get these finalized. Hopefully the website and/or app cooperate. I do feel a bit relaxed as my Animal Kingdom day is the 7th day of my trip.

Thursday 8/16 - Travel and Magic Kingdom (late afternoon arrival)
6-7pm - Pirates of the Caribbean
7-8pm - Big Thunder Mountain
8-9pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Friday 8/17 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Peter Pan)
10-11am - Big Thunder Mountain
11am-12pm - Splash Mountain
12pm-1pm - Jungle Cruise (lunch at Skipper Canteen after)

Saturday 8/18 - Epcot (Rope Drop Soarin')
10-11am - Spaceship Earth
11am-12pm - Mission Space
12pm-1pm - Frozen Ever After

Sunday 8/19 - Hollywood Studios (Rope Drop ToT and RnR)
Anytime - Slinky Coaster
10-11am - Rock n Roller Coaster
11am-12pm - Tower of Terror

Monday 8/20 - No Parks
Tuesday 8/21 - Universal Studios

Wednesday 8/22 - Animal Kingdom (Rope Drop FoP so I can ride twice)
Anytime - Flight of Passage
10am-11am - Kilimanjaro Safari
11-12pm - Dinosaur

Thursday 8/23 - All Four Parks in One Day (Rope Drop at Epcot)
Hoping to get Frozen and Soarin' done in the morning, plus whatever else I can fit in.
1230-130am - Rock n Roller Coaster
130-230 - Tower of Terror
230-330 - Toy Story Mania

Then head to Animal Kingdom for dining reservation and whatever FP+ is available or lines are relatively short. End at Magic Kingdom for Happily Ever After. This might be nuts, especially near the end of a trip. But I've always wanted to do it. I've done three parks in one day before, but never all four. Wish me luck!

Friday 8/24 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Peter Pan)
10am-11am - Mine Train
11am-12pm - Big Thunder Mountain
12pm-1pm - Splash Mountain

Saturday 8/25 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Adventureland)
Unable to schedule until after I use my first day's FastPasses, as I'm using a Main Gate and can only schedule seven days. Hoping for Peter Pan, Splash, and Big Thunder.

Next Post: Final FastPass Selections
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-15.3687163/#post-59362355"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/15[/URL]

Last edited:

Ooh, all 4 parks in a day--how fun! Tiring, but fun. :) And ending at MK for Happily Ever After sounds perfect. Your plans look great!

Your FP plans sound great!

Hoping to get Frozen and Soarin' done in the morning, plus whatever else I can fit in.
1230-130am - Rock n Roller Coaster
130-230 - Tower of Terror
230-330 - Toy Story Mania

Then head to Animal Kingdom for dining reservation and whatever FP+ is available or lines are relatively short. End at Magic Kingdom for Happily Ever After. This might be nuts, especially near the end of a trip. But I've always wanted to do it. I've done three parks in one day before, but never all four. Wish me luck!
I am doing the exact same thing the day before! I did 4parks/1 day last summer too and it is so much fun! You will love it!

While friends and family are excited for me and I can talk to them about some of this, I’m always afraid of annoying them with it.

I have the same problem. My friends and family enjoy my enthusiasm but at the same time I know I can eventually get on their nerves when I am excited over an upcoming trip.DIS has been awesome!

I prefer JetBlue over other airlines.

Me too! I would use them more if they had direct flights from Philly.

Wow, you guys. FastPass Selections really could not have gone better. I had my computer, iPad, and phone all ready to go. While my computer took a minute to get it together and refresh, I got my Slinky Dog FP+ on my iPad. Then my computer came alive and worked well for the rest. No crashing or other issues.

I much prefer the computer as it's easier to see all of your options. I've learned the first three they give you aren't necessarily the earliest. There are other options there if you expand it. Anyway. Let's just say it's been a good morning. :) See the times I got below in red and my comments as well. I left my original time preferences so I can see how the plan worked out.

I'll warn in advance that this got a little long.

Thursday 8/16 - Travel and Magic Kingdom (late afternoon arrival)
6-7pm - Pirates of the Caribbean 5:45pm-6:45pm
7-8pm - Big Thunder Mountain 7:05pm-8:05pm
8-9pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 8:15pm-9:15pm
Happily Ever After is a must at 9:15pm, but I really want to ride 7DMT in the dark. Hoping it's semi-dark on Big Thunder as well. Definitely no dessert party, as I'd been mulling that over. So glad I didn't pull the trigger as these worked out perfectly.

Friday 8/17 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Peter Pan)
10-11am - Big Thunder Mountain 9:50am-10:50am
11am-12pm - Splash Mountain 10:55am-11:55am
12pm-1pm - Jungle Cruise 12:05pm-1:05pm
Lunch at Skipper Canteen at 12:50pm. Call me a nerd, but I really wanted to do Jungle Cruise right before or soon before to keep in with the theme. While I enjoy Jungle Cruise, it's not something I have to do more than once per trip. I had a certain time I wanted it, and it worked out!

Saturday 8/18 - Epcot (Rope Drop Soarin')
10-11am - Spaceship Earth 9:50am-10:50am
11am-12pm - Mission Space 11:00am-12:00pm
12pm-1pm - Frozen Ever After 12:05pm-1:05pm
Again, I really wanted to get Frozen for around noon so that it coincides with starting the World Showcase and I wouldn't have to backtrack. Also leaves the afternoon open for either a break or heading back to Future World to hit things I may have missed in the morning.

Sunday 8/19 - Hollywood Studios (Rope Drop ToT and RnR)
Anytime - Slinky Coaster 3:00pm-4:00pm
10-11am - Rock n Roller Coaster 10:30am-11:30am
11am-12pm - Tower of Terror 11:40am-12:40pm
If I could change anything, it would be the time of my Slinky Dog Dash FP+. It's a little late for my tastes, and I was really hoping for a break in the afternoon. Especially with such an early EMH. I'll probably head out of the park soon after and come back for nighttime entertainment. I was thinking a break from 1:00-5:00, but not it might be more like 3:00-7:00 or even 8:00. Fireworks are at 10:00, so it might not be that bad.

Monday 8/20 - No Parks

I wasn't planning on FastPasses for this day, as it's my Disney Springs day and I'm headed to MK for Happily Ever After in the evening. I also thought I couldn't schedule more than seven days because of my Main Gate. Because I'm using different comp tickets for Hollywood Studios on two days (Main Gate is blocked out July/August every day.) I had two more days to make FP plans for than I thought. So I actually got to schedule for my last morning! That was a nice surprise this morning.

Anyway, all that to say that I thought I'd see if there was a Flight of Passage available that evening. There sure was. So I have it from 6:45pm-7:45pm. I should have enough time after to get to Magic Kingdom. Preparing to have to take an Uber or Minnie Van if necessary, but it can be done!

Tuesday 8/21 - Universal Studios
I actually added an 8:30pm FP for Soarin' this evening. I have a Beaches and Cream ADR at 7:00pm. In case I get out early enough, I might hop over for a quick ride. Why not, right? Have Main Gate, will go to a park just for one ride.

Wednesday 8/22 - Animal Kingdom (Rope Drop FoP so I can ride twice)
10am-11am - Kilimanjaro Safari 10:15am-11:15am
Anytime - Flight of Passage 11:20am-12:20pm
11-12pm - Dinosaur 12:20pm-1:20pm
Happily surprised with how early my Flight of Passage FP is. Since I have another ride on it on Monday night, I'm still not sure if I'll rope drop it as well. Could I actually get three rides on it this trip? But it might be a nice time to explore the rest of Animal Kingdom. I'm letting myself wait on deciding this until the day before. I'll still rope drop, just not sure where I'm headed.

230-330 - Toy Story Mania 12:40pm-1:40pm
130-230 - Tower of Terror 1:50pm-2:50pm
1230-130am - Rock n Roller Coaster 2:55pm-3:55pm
I rearranged these a bit to get them in as close together as possible. This one was a bit tricky, actually. I have found that I always want another ride on RnR and ToT near the end of the trip, as they are two of probably my top five rides. I'll be in Epcot before and head to an ADR in Animal Kingdom after at 5:00pm. I feel like 2:55 is pushing it a bit, but it's not like RnR is terribly long. I should be fine.

Friday 8/24 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Peter Pan)
10am-11am - Mine Train 10:00am-11:00am
11am-12pm - Big Thunder Mountain 11:05am-12:05am
12pm-1pm - Splash Mountain 12:15pm-1:15pm
I don't have an ADR to plan around this afternoon, because I have an evening reservation after MK closes at 6pm for MNSSHP. These times couldn't really have been any better.

Saturday 8/25 - Magic Kingdom (Rope Drop Adventureland/Frontierland)
As I mentioned above, I was actually able to schedule these. And instead of Splash, I went with 7DMT. I wouldn't have been able to get that a week out, but I was definitely able to get it this morning. I'm actually rather relieved. Since I'm leaving this day and also have a lunch ADR, it was important to have the times as early as possible. So it worked out.

9:20am-10:20am - Big Thunder Mountain
10:20am-11:20am - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
11:20am-12:20pm - Peter Pan's Flight

So, all in all, I'm thrilled with what I got. I'd take an earlier Slinky Dog Dash if I could get it, but I do also have a lunch ADR, so it will probably end up being a good time. So far, I've been able to continue making this a pretty perfect trip.

Coming up will be more in depth plans about each day. I've had ideas, but these FP times will help in mapping things out more. I like having my mornings planned out with afternoons free for breaks or more attractions. Seems to me that plan is still going to work out.

Next Post: Day 1 Plans
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-15.3687163/#post-59389671"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/15[/URL]

Last edited:
Yay you! I'm doing my first solo ten day trip in October, so I'm looking forward to following along on yours first! I may have to take a part time job at a Disney Store to enjoy some of those perks!

Yay! I'm so happy it all went well for you--I keep hearing all sorts of complaints about MDE being glitchy and messing up people when they're trying to get their fastpasses, so glad you didn't run into that.

12pm-1pm - Jungle Cruise 12:05pm-1:05pm
Lunch at Skipper Canteen at 12:50pm. Call me a nerd, but I really wanted to do Jungle Cruise right before or soon before to keep in with the theme. While I enjoy Jungle Cruise, it's not something I have to do more than once per trip. I had a certain time I wanted it, and it worked out!
Ok, that's a great idea. I don't know why I haven't thought of that! May have to rearrange my tentative fastpass plans to try and do this!

So, all in all, I'm thrilled with what I got. I'd take an earlier Slinky Dog Dash if I could get it, but I do also have a lunch ADR, so it will probably end up being a good time. So far, I've been able to continue making this a pretty perfect trip.
I've been stalking the Toy Story land thread, and people have been talking about how they've been able to get pretty good times for SDD as they keep checking, so might be worth checking back in every so often to see if an earlier time opens up? But even if not, like you said, it'll probably end up being a good time anyways. :)

I may have to take a part time job at a Disney Store to enjoy some of those perks

I have a full time job and my Disney job is part time a couple days a week. While I love it and and the people there, the perks are definitely a big part of why I stay. All around, the best part time job a gal could ask for.

I've been stalking the Toy Story land thread, and people have been talking about how they've been able to get pretty good times for SDD as they keep checking, so might be worth checking back in every so often to see if an earlier time opens up? But even if not, like you said, it'll probably end up being a good time anyways.

I have checked a couple times, but I can only change it if it's before 9:30am or after 2:00pm due to the other FP+ I have and my Brown Derby ADR. The more I think about it, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't change. I should be fine either way.

Love your ideas and trip planning! I’m able to book fast passes for our group of 3 adults this Friday, the 22nd. We arrive Aug 21 - 27th! I noticed that your Hollywood studios day is planned for the fourth day into your trip, ours is scheduled for our third day so on Aug 23. How much option did you have with your Slinky Dog FP? I’m hoping there is still availability for Aug 23rd!

Happily Ever After is a must at 9:15pm, but I really want to ride 7DMT
YES!! I still haven't done this, and I am hoping to knock it off at MNSHP this year.

So many FPs!! Wow! Solo trips rock because you can be as ambitious or lazy as you want, and make easier changes on a whim :)

Love your ideas and trip planning! I’m able to book fast passes for our group of 3 adults this Friday, the 22nd. We arrive Aug 21 - 27th! I noticed that your Hollywood studios day is planned for the fourth day into your trip, ours is scheduled for our third day so on Aug 23. How much option did you have with your Slinky Dog FP? I’m hoping there is still availability for Aug 23rd!

I got the absolute earliest I could. I’d imagine you’ll have some availability but it will be in the evening. When I check now to see if I can get mine a little earlier, I’m only seeing 6:30pm and after. It’s slowly getting later each time I look.

Here are my tentative plans, day by day, for my entire trip. I was going to do separate posts on ADRs and then touring plans, but I just combined it all into one and am going to do it chronologically.

DAY 1 - TRAVEL AND MAGIC KINGDOM

So my departing flight time was recently changed from 9:36am to 9:54am. Not a huge deal. Gives me more time in the morning to get there. So I am now scheduled to land in Orlando around 12:50pm. I am currently planning to get my own bag from baggage claim instead of letting MDE do it. I’ve always had good experiences with DME, to be honest, but my plan is to unpack and settle in as soon as I’m able to get in my room. I’d rather handle my own bag than have to unpack late at night when I’m ready to go to bed.

giphy.gif

If everything goes well, I should be at the Contemporary before 3pm. So we’ll see if the room is ready. If not, no worries. I’ll need something to eat, and I’ll definitely want to take time to explore the shops and grounds at the resort. I am actually really excited for Contempo Cafe so I can try that Peanut Butter Pie. Yum! I love all things peanut butter. Whenever I’m able to get into my room, I’ll unpack, enjoy the view, and then head to the Magic Kingdom!

I currently have FastPasses for Splash at 5:30, Thunder Mountain at 6:45 and Mine Train at 7:45. Splash and Big Thunder are my favorites. Then Mine Train is really cool at night, so I wanted to take advantage of that. I also want to stop for one of the Tangled lantern photos. I’m only planning on riding what I have FastPasses for, I don’t mind the wait. This is going to be a chill evening.

The primary goal, though, is to see Happily Ever After. I saw it for the first time in October and LOVED it. I only got to see it once, so I have it scheduled for three nights this trip. Just in case. It’s scheduled for 9:15pm and MK closes at 10pm. I’m hoping for a ride on either Splash or Big Thunder before I leave. Maybe even Astro Orbiter. I really want to take advantage of Magic Kingdom at night, since the rest of my time there is during the day on party days.

Next Post: Day 2 Plans
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-15.3687163/#post-59389690"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/15[/URL]

Last edited:
DAY 2 - MAGIC KINGDOM

Rope Drop is my best friend. I love Rope Drop. The excitement in the air really adds to the day for me. I’m not the throwing elbows type, though. I don’t run ahead of the crowd. I will say that I am a professional NYC Pedestrian, though, so walking through crowds is my specialty. :)

giphy.gif

Being able to walk from the Contemporary and have a shorter security line is so exciting as well! It’s going to make some of these mornings and nights so much easier!

My plan is to hit Peter Pan at rope drop, followed by Pooh and then the Barnstormer. I’ve never ridden the Barnstormer, so it’s a priority for me this morning. Then I’ll stop at the Cheshire Cafe for a cat tail as my breakfast. Been wanting to try one of these for a while. After that is Haunted Mansion and Small World. I have FastPasses for Thunder Mountain at 10am, Splash Mountain at 11am, and Jungle Cruise at 12pm. Then I have lunch at Skipper Canteen at 12:50pm, and am planning for Jungle Cruise right before. I think it will help set the mood. Then I’ll do whatever I can in the afternoon.

The park closes for me at 6pm because of MNSSHP. At some point I’ll head over to the Polynesian and try to get in at Trader Sam’s. I’m totally cool browsing the shops and hanging out until I can get in. Maybe even just the Tiki Terrace outside. I was thinking Tambu Lounge for some bread pudding, but it seems it’s going to be under renovation while I’m there.

I might head to House of Blues after Trader Sam’s to try their bread pudding. I’ve heard good things. Bread pudding it a personal favorite of mine. I always try it when offered at a restaurant. Plus, some shopping at Disney Springs early in the trip could be productive. I’m hoping I’m not out too late and can get to bed at a decent hour. We’ll see how that turns out.

Next Post: Day 3 Plans
[URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-perfect-can-i-make-this-trip-an-august-2018-adventure-updated-7-15.3687163/page-2#post-59424460"]How Perfect Can I Make This Trip? - An August 2018 Adventure - UPDATED 7/15[/URL]

Last edited:
Your plans sound good so far! Trader Sams should be super fun, and you should *definitely* make time for the lantern photo--it's a great picture. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter