How Rourke's death in Atlantis is similair to a skin condition

snortomaniac

Earning My Ears
So I kind of had to get this out of my head because whenever I rewatch Atlantis I just can't stop thinking about this.

When Rourke dies in this scene
it's pretty scary not just because he turns into a crystal monster but also because the way he looks actually reminds me of a horrifying and rare genetic skin condition known as harlequin type ichtyosis.

I am not going to go into a lot of detail about this because you might feel curious enough to search it up which you should never ever do because I ended up having nasty nightmares because of it.

Really one of the only differences between this scene and real life is that his skin turned blue but in real life it's more greyish/white but everything else is there.

It could just be a coincidence from my side but it could also very well be intentional from the animators and producers.

Some might say it's strange to compare it to this but once you have seen it it's not very strange to see the similarities to it
Also this is my first thread on this forum so Hi forum members.

So I kind of had to get this out of my head because whenever I rewatch Atlantis I just can't stop thinking about this.

When Rourke dies in this scene
it's pretty scary not just because he turns into a crystal monster but also because the way he looks actually reminds me of a horrifying and rare genetic skin condition known as harlequin type ichtyosis.

I am not going to go into a lot of detail about this because you might feel curious enough to search it up which you should never ever do because I ended up having nasty nightmares because of it.

Really one of the only differences between this scene and real life is that his skin turned blue but in real life it's more greyish/white but everything else is there.

It could just be a coincidence from my side but it could also very well be intentional from the animators and producers.

Some might say it's strange to compare it to this but once you have seen it it's not very strange to see the similarities to it
Also this is my first thread on this forum so Hi forum members.

Hi and :welcome: to the DIS! You'll find a lot of us here appreciate the very underraed Atlantis: The Lost Empire - it's one of my favorite Disney movies. I'll take your advice though and not look up this condition you are talking about. I don't know that it was intentional in the animation, however it's certainly possible that they researched ways a human might be affected by radiation or other conditions and done something similar to pictures they found. I'd rather not not be able to unsee it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!