How strict on ages for Oceaner Lab?????

kcatoir

DIS Veteran
Hi All,
Anyone know how strict DCL is with the minimum age for Oceaner Lab????
We have 2DD's one is 9 and the other will be 8 on 12/2; but our cruise is 9/18....
Younger DD is tall for her age at 56" so there would be no fear of her being thrown in with kids much bigger than her.
She is used to doing the same sort of activities as her older sister since they are only 18 mo apart.
I am afraid the 5-7 age group will be to "baby-ish" for her.
I know she will want to be in with her sister.
I do know they will let them in if its within 2months of their b-day, will they care if its 3months?????

Thanks for your help

You will have to ask the CMs when you go sign them up. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I would prepare them to be split up in the clubs.:(

The way I understand it unless they are within a month of their birthday they will not be allowed to step up. They have bene pretty strict about this from the reports I've heard. Your older DD can step down though if they really don't want to be split up.

Anne

Last cruise they did let my younger daughter move up "on a trial basis" that lasted the whole cruise. They are not allowed to move back and forth from one group to the other. We went Oct. 19 and she turned 5 Dec. 30, and was in Kindergarten (they start earlier here in Canada). I was really surprised as she did still have a sister in the 3-4 group and the first time we went she was 2, almost 3 (same timing), fully trained and her older sister was in club and they would NOT let her in. I guess it depends on how many kids are registered, etc. Worth a try. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Just a thought, and it may not work for you.

But I think that the kids do better in making friends if they are in different groups. If they are in together they tend to stay together and not try and make new friends.

Like I said it may not be the case for you.

Aimee

I'm just curious....do they know their ages from when you book your cruise and go by that (meaning - are they going to cross reference the EXACT birthday from the info you provide the TA, and then check it again on board)? How does that work? Say the TA had the birthday as 10/1 instead of 12/1 will that "typo" prevent the child from boarding? Not that I really want to try and I'm not looking to be "scolded" here - just wondering?

Sandymc, they definitely will have the child's exact birthdate as these MUST match the birth certificates required to board. :)

I have a ? too! On Barb and Tony's site they have a list of teen activities...some with the age groups of 13-14 and 15-17...well here's my problem...I'm 14, sailing on Sept. 20, 2003...but I turn 15 on October 6...so it is within a month of my birthday! Would I be allowed to participate in the 'older' teen activities?

Well then this is conflicting. Last Time we cruised was August 2001. I was 11 to be 12, now 13 to be 14 on 9/4. I liked being in the 10-12 category it was fine. My brother was 8 (turning 9 on 10/4), and he was offered to move up but chose to be with kids his age and liked the 8-9 group. Your older daughter is fine. Now the younger one (first of all I'm mad that she is 6 years younger yet only 4 inches shorter than me). Second of all I don't want to be offensive but I have no clue why she wouldn't want to be seperated. I personally don't like to do anything in groups with my bother. But if she wants to be with her sister that is fine. I think your younger daughter might be happier in the 5-7 club being she is older than most of the rest of the kids and may have a better chance to win games in that group (whoops putting my preferences in there). The only problem is your younger daughter may not want to be in the Club. I'd lobby for her to be bumped up but 3 months is a long way away from the cruise. If she is in 5-7 and they really want to be together see if the Older one can be lowered. I'm not sure if that would work but try it. If you only read one sentence in this post this should be it prepare for them to probably be split up

Thanks everyone for your input.
I think we will play it by ear, being its only a 3 day cruise it shouldn't be that hard to work out.
cb batch thanks for your response, its nice to hear it from the younger standpoint.

They might not let your younger daughter move up, but if you reallly want the girls to be together, your older daughter can move down (even though she will be 2 yrs. older than the other kids).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter