How transgender friendly is Disney world?

benabena712

Earning My Ears
I’ve been going to Disney for over 22 years but this is the first time I’ll be going with my fiancé who is trans. I’m a bit ashamed to say I really don’t know what/if any inclusion Disney offers. The main things I’m wondering are if there are many unisex bathrooms, if Disney has a way to have a chosen name or preferred name be used instead of their legal name which would be on the ticket, how good the staff is regarding proper pronouns? Etc…. This is my first post so I’m hoping this is the right place to ask. Please be kind. Thanks in advance!

In my experience most bathrooms have a family style bathroom that is unisex. However, in restaurants this isn't always an option. As far as the cast members using proper pronouns I don't think that would be an issue. I'm a cisgender male, and am struggling to think of a time when they called me by my name. The only thing I can think of is if you have restaurant reservations and they call out your name, but it is usually just the last name. If you don't want to take that risk then I would recommend putting reservations in your name to avoid any issues. I know Disney cast members undergo a lot of sensitivity training, so I don't think having a different legal name on your ID vs ticket is a big deal, especially if you explain the situation. Above all, HAVE FUN!

My brother is trans and has visited WDW post-transition for the last several years. He does often choose to use the companion bathrooms as they're for single occupancy, but does use the men's bathrooms on occasion. He does have long hair which he mostly wears in two braids, so if anything leads to him being misgendered at times, it would be that (I just can't remember if that experience was at WDW or not; it didn't have anything to do with going into a bathroom or the like, but I can't recall if someone referenced us both as females in greeting).

My brother also has his MDE account set up as his nickname, so that's what he gets referenced as throughout our trip whenever interacting with CMs who also are looking at our MDE profiles (setting up DAS for a family member is the main thing).

I’ve been going to Disney for over 22 years but this is the first time I’ll be going with my fiancé who is trans. I’m a bit ashamed to say I really don’t know what/if any inclusion Disney offers. The main things I’m wondering are if there are many unisex bathrooms, if Disney has a way to have a chosen name or preferred name be used instead of their legal name which would be on the ticket, how good the staff is regarding proper pronouns? Etc…. This is my first post so I’m hoping this is the right place to ask. Please be kind. Thanks in advance!
My older brother is transgender (ftm).There are family bathrooms that are single occupancy at Disney but my brother has never had a problem/issue using the male bathrooms.His My Disney Experience app is set up with his choosen name.He has never been misgendered while in the parks,he often brings his boyfriend with us to the parks and he has never gotten any rude comments from cast members about their relationship.

I straight up emailed customer service a few months ago and asked them point blank. After a little phone tag, I spoke with a nice lady who said I'm welcome to use the restroom of my gender, or the family/companion single restrooms, if I'm uncomfortable, that cast members should treat me with respect and with correct pronouns and such and I was welcome to dress as I wished within the usual limits of their normal dress code, and if I have problems with any other guests, I should tell a cast member. I'm going in February and I'm still on the fence about it. I haven't been out out in public before but I keep telling myself I'm going to try it at least one day of the trip.

It’s enough stress trying to plan and organize a Disney trip. I hope all that posted have a Great time. Be You and Just Have Fun, it’s gonna be Awesome!!

No guarantees that everything will be the way you want or hope because we are dealing with humans who have good days and bad days, but I have found WDW to be fairly inclusive and quite safe for the LGBTQA+ community. My DD loves WDW and her transgender friend had very positive post-trip comments at WDW. The friend spoke with generalities but certainly wasn't a negative experience.

I'm of the opinion that each person makes his/her/their trip and vacation a good one or bad one based upon their own ability to relax and enjoy it. If you are wrapped up in particulars or details (and it doesn't have to be LGBTQA+ issues and it could be anything from motion sickness issues to Florida heat and humidity to crowd sizes) that are of concern, then you are far more likely to not enjoy the trip than enjoy the trip. Don't bog your mind down on the negatives, keep a positive attitude and a sense of adventure and I think your friend will do himself/herself/themselves really well.

I think the only people who might misgender you are small children. When mine were 3 and 4, I took them to a dinner with a friend who is mtf. She is very tall and is fairly heavily built. I had talked to the kids prior to going out so they wouldn't be surprised, but both kids kept asking questions as preschoolers often do. I was mortified, but my friend was ok.

No direct experience but I will say that CMs pretty much avoid saying or doing anything that could be offensive at all and that includes greeting you, someone posted a while ago about cms calling everyone "friends" and while I have always heard this I noticed a few days ago that I heard that greeting used pretty much every single time a greeting was given.

If you don't look for a problem I'm willing to bet you won't stumble across one.

My oldest is trans and my youngest is non-binary. We were at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the summer and they were absolutely awful when it came to gender. A positive mindset only goes so so far, and if people around you are dealing out passive aggressive shade left and right it's obviously going to impact a trip.

I've never observed an issue at the Orlando parks, and neither of them has made note of being uncomfortable expressing themselves at either Disney or Universal. If anything I'd say they make a good effort to be as welcoming as could be expected given that we're talking tens of thousands of cast/team members mostly coming from central Florida.

My oldest is trans and my youngest is non-binary. We were at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the summer and they were absolutely awful when it came to gender. A positive mindset only goes so so far, and if people around you are dealing out passive aggressive shade left and right it's obviously going to impact a trip.

I've never observed an issue at the Orlando parks, and neither of them has made note of being uncomfortable expressing themselves at either Disney or Universal. If anything I'd say they make a good effort to be as welcoming as could be expected given that we're talking tens of thousands of cast/team members mostly coming from central Florida.
A good response and, although I'm not trans and can't share expereinces, I think Disney is pretty responsible.

(On a side not, sorry to hear of your family's Busch Gardens experience. My family went to BG's Williamsburg water park some years back and the class of guests (unsupervised children, crass language, aggressive teens, etc) was much lower than Disney's Blizzard Beach. Again, a Disney plus.)

A good response and, although I'm not trans and can't share expereinces, I think Disney is pretty responsible.

(On a side not, sorry to hear of your family's Busch Gardens experience. My family went to BG's Williamsburg water park some years back and the class of guests (unsupervised children, crass language, aggressive teens, etc) was much lower than Disney's Blizzard Beach. Again, a Disney plus.)
So for a good while we all enjoyed BGW a lot, had annual passes even. The park does have great food, great shows, several unique attractions, and a beautiful landscape. We've never had a single problem with other guests. But their non-performing staff has gone from ok to bad to awful over the past 5 years, to the boiling point this year where we've decided we're never going back.

So for a good while we all enjoyed BGW a lot, had annual passes even. The park does have great food, great shows, several unique attractions, and a beautiful landscape. We've never had a single problem with other guests. But their non-performing staff has gone from ok to bad to awful over the past 5 years, to the boiling point this year where we've decided we're never going back.
This breaks my heart hearing this about BGW. (And not just because I’m going for a long weekend to experience Xmas town). Last time I was there was 4 years ago and it’s the one place I’ve been more than Disney. An absolute shame.

Also I’m happy you all had positive experiences at WDW.

This breaks my heart hearing this about BGW. (And not just because I’m going for a long weekend to experience Xmas town). Last time I was there was 4 years ago and it’s the one place I’ve been more than Disney. An absolute shame.

Also I’m happy you all had positive experiences at WDW.
We're pretty sad about it too. Having said that here's hoping the holidays bring out the best in folks and that you and your family have a great trip.

I’ve been going to Disney for over 22 years but this is the first time I’ll be going with my fiancé who is trans. I’m a bit ashamed to say I really don’t know what/if any inclusion Disney offers. The main things I’m wondering are if there are many unisex bathrooms
I think I can give you a honest answer to this as I am a heterosexual male, married to a woman with 2 daughters and we have been to WDW many many times. Use the bathroom you want to use. Nobody cares. If your transitioning from male to female and want to use the ladies room so be it. If transitioning from female to male and want to use the mens room then do it. I have seen many do this and honestly it's no big deal. It's not like people are peeking into the stalls lol. Go and enjoy your vacation with your fiancé and if by chance you do encounter a narrow minded person, smile and carry on. WDW is for everyone and you are someone.

I’ve been going for years and I’ve been there during all stages of my transition and never have had a problem! When they would call me Princess was the best ever!! Enjoy !!

In my experience most bathrooms have a family style bathroom that is unisex. However, in restaurants this isn't always an option. As far as the cast members using proper pronouns I don't think that would be an issue. I'm a cisgender male, and am struggling to think of a time when they called me by my name. The only thing I can think of is if you have restaurant reservations and they call out your name, but it is usually just the last name. If you don't want to take that risk then I would recommend putting reservations in your name to avoid any issues. I know Disney cast members undergo a lot of sensitivity training, so I don't think having a different legal name on your ID vs ticket is a big deal, especially if you explain the situation. Above all, HAVE FUN!
I used to work in a box office and we had a particular patron who came to a lot of shows. In central FL, btw. She would pick up her tickets at Will Call & had to show an ID to prove identity. Honestly, we never cared. Not ever. Now, when she showed up with a fabulous purse (she has a burgundy-colored velvet clutch that was out of this world), we were all interested!

Disney World has been supportive of transgender employees and has implemented inclusive workplace policies. Additionally, they have made efforts to ensure that all guests, including transgender individuals, feel safe and comfortable during their visit.

It's worth noting that policies and practices can evolve over time, and it's always a good idea to check for the most up-to-date information directly from Disney World's official channels or by contacting guest services. They can provide the most accurate and current information regarding their approach to creating an inclusive environment for all visitors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter