How wet on GRR?????

abby

Abby's Mom
So how wet do you get on GRR? We are going in late January and my dd 5 and 1/2 has decided she is old enough, (read brave enough) to go on GRR. So how wet should we expect to get? Wet enough to use a poncho? or is a light raincoat enough? My dd would be very cranky if forced to walk around wet........just doing my obessive planning 25 days in advance.

Bring ponchos!! We wore ours and all four of us got soaked! Our clothes and hair were OK because of the ponchos, but our sicks and shoes were soaked. It really depends where you are sitting. The raft is always spinning, so you never know who is going to get it! My DD7 and DS10 loved the ride!

I would suggest ponchos for sure. We have gone on it and got sprayed lightly, others times, well most of the times, we have been completely soaked. It will be cold and unless its absolutely needed to go on, I would skip it. If you can't skip it, wear sandals, keep pants rolled up and wear ponchos.

prepare to get soaked.
If you want to "protect" her from the worst, don't put her near the opening.
I used a poncho and took OFF my fleece and wore shorts and a tee-shirt with an emergency (thin) poncho (This was at night.. but I warmed up real fast with the fleece). I tucked in the sleeve openings into mine and tried to keep my feet up but my left sock still got wet. The rafts are not on a track so it is all free floating and there are giesers (sp). I would take off as much clothing as possible and go at a warm time of day,.. and bring a change of clothes for her ;). Don't wear your coat ;).. no point. Just save it dry for yourself. Also don't take your backpack etc.. Have someone hold it for you if you can.. otherwise it will be drenched.

My niece age 7 loved it and did it with a poncho and didn't have to change clothes, but she is a thrill seeker. I say bring a change of clothes for her.. least she is still small :)

I'll plan to ride it before our midday break, then we can go back to the room and change, They have FP's right?

Bring ponchos from WalMart (cheap) versus buying them at the gift shop near the ride ($7!). That ride cost us $21 because we forgot our ponchos. But we were glad for the waterproofing!
It's a fun ride, much better than the Kali River Rapids at WDW, but all the spinning made me nauseous!
Enjoy! :flower:

Rivergallery said:
Also don't take your backpack etc.. Have someone hold it for you if you can.. otherwise it will be drenched.

If there is no one to hold your backpack, simply use the lockers located to the side of the attraction. They are for use when you go on the ride, but pay attention to the return time, as they do charge eventually. (After a certain amount of hours...can't remember how many right now...it was 3 when the park first opened, but it has changed many times).

I always get soaked on this ride to the point of needing to either go back to the hotel or changing my clothes after riding. So, with that being said, be sure to wear a poncho, sandles...or bring a change of clothing!

abby said:
So how wet do you get on GRR? We are going in late January and my dd 5 and 1/2 has decided she is old enough, (read brave enough) to go on GRR. So how wet should we expect to get? Wet enough to use a poncho? or is a light raincoat enough? My dd would be very cranky if forced to walk around wet........just doing my obessive planning 25 days in advance.
Very wet, use the ponchos. It will be cold. BTW also use a poncho on Splash Mountain. We didnot and I was soaked. I was still wet 4 hours later. We were there in early December and I was cold.

You'll get soaked without a poncho.

Make sure you get one that covers you knees and head.

We took our backpacks on with us, just sat them on our laps under the plastic and they were dry.

My 5YO daughter did the ride 3 times and loved it - it's not that scary, just great fun.

Not only does GRR have fastpasses but they are disconnected from the FP system.. so you can ride Soarin at 9:30 if you get in the gate asap. Then grab a FP so you can ride it later... snag a FP for GRR at 10am.. Then grab the next 45min after the Soarin one if you want to ride it again.. this is the timeframe if you get the Fp's at CA first thing.
Read my Travel log from Dec19-23rd.. on Day 4 was the CA day.. FP's worked awsome for me. I collected them and rode smaller rides and watched shows with DS 3 during the early morning.. since the rest of my family wasn't there. Then I rode everything when they got there.
I had originally planned to ride GRR right before our break.. but DS was too hyped to take a break.. so I rode it before we left at night, I just got on it as you will read .. around 7pm or so.. I went and did shopping afterwards (Potato Heads! :))...And only my left sock was wet, and I forgot about it quickly.. course I wasn't 5 1/2 and it wasn't the middle of the day.. so I didn't have to (suffer) :)
My Dad rode it during the day and was totally soaked, but by the time he reached me he was dry.. he wore quick dry shorts and a teeshirt. He rode it later with me twice and with my sister and niece two or three times.. not sure how wet they were when they came into the room I was asleep. But Sister and niece used ponchos.. while Dad went Kamakazi hehe
Ok enough of my book.
Have fun and use FPS even if you are not sure if you want to ride a ride again!!! ;)

I agree with all above...you can get absolutely soaked on GRR. :rotfl2: Make sure the ponchos you buy are of a decent enough size that you can wrap them around your legs and that they cover your backside when you sit down (the seats are often very wet when you get in). We bought the Disney ponchos at the gift shop many years ago (in DL before CA was even built) for the rain and we still use the same ones. Money well spent! Our friends had brought some cheap ones from home and they were half the size of ours and they still got pretty wet. It is a great ride despite (or because of if it is really hot out) the wet.

If you are worried about the backpacks getting wet, there are free lockers right by the GRR attraction which are for 1-2 hours while riding the ride. You can put your backpacks in there (you get a computer access code on a slip of paper for getting your stuff out after) and not worry about it getting wet! :sunny:

The ponchos are a great idea. We rode GRR twice in a row and thought we got wet the first time, but it was nothing compared to the second time. I had to go back to the hotel to change my socks (I only had one pair of shoes or I would have changed them). I'm glad it was a warm day!

My advice is put your feet up on the thing in the middle that looks a bit like a steering wheel. It looks stupid but I wish I would have the first time because water flooded the bottom of the raft, particularly by the opening.

Very wet! I was there last year with my dad and sister right after Christmas, and it was pouring the day we were there, so we figured we couldn't get any wetter! After the ride I must've added an extra 30 pounds to myself. :teeth:

We rode it during the summer and we got soaked. My shorts were dripping wet. We got the geiser that goes off towards the end. We got soaked!!! I refuse to ride it when it's not summer time. But we love the ride.

spazzyjazzy said:
We rode it during the summer and we got soaked. My shorts were dripping wet. We got the geiser that goes off towards the end. We got soaked!!! I refuse to ride it when it's not summer time. But we love the ride.

That is exactly what happened to us! I thought it was a fluke, but apparently not.

Oh come on you guys! Ponchos? Spare clothing?

It just isn't as fun if you don't get the full effect of getting wet!!

We went on, got fairly wet, and thought, well, we are already wet, lets go again. Then we got totally soaked. We walked around the park and dried off. (this was in December)

Don't do the ponchos!! Get WET!! Get the full effect!!
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter