Hunky Tuna Tostada - Fall 2017 DR - completed 7/12 - Animal Kingdom Snacks

5mdZAval.png

This looks really good. The only wine I really like is sparkling wine. Is this over by France?

This looks really tasty, and a pretty good deal for your money at only $5.50 for all that.

This looks heavenly. I'm going here on my upcoming trip in a couple weeks. I went there once with a friend back in 2011 and I'm really excited to go back. Pizza is one of my favorite types of food.

My brother would love this. When we went to Italy as teenagers with my parents my brother ate prosciutto and cantaloupe almost everyday we were there. It was a really popular dish on the menu all over. Honestly, I never tried it, the combo of meat and fruit just seems a little weird to me.

I love Ample Hills. I've never tried a sampler before, I don't think my fiance and I could finish this just ourselves. But it looks really really good.

elements on other attractions (like on Expedition Everest) and some attraction specific personalized moments, like on It's a Small World and at the end of Haunted Mansion. It definitely works via magic band and I've found it's easier to get your name up there if you have a "fresh" magic band, at least that's my opinion. Again, from what I've read, the long range RFID elements of the magic band require batteries, so while the Mickey-to-Mickey features will always work after the battery dies, the long-range things (like the name posters) will eventually stop working. I have some Magic Bands that are now almost 4 years old and have started declining new ones so I rarely get to see my name up there, but it's still a fun distraction to look!

Wow, what a thorough response! You really know your Disney details. :worship: We are headed down for a week at the beginning of February and I will keep an eye out for those queue details. We also have magic bands up to four years old, I think that is about when the program started rolling out? In February 2014 we got married on the balcony of the wilderness Lodge. So we are returning In a few weeks to celebrate our anniversary. Ok, time for me to go back and read your latest post! Yippee! You have such a fun writing style.:love:

Ehmergerd! Haaaaaay!!! This is my second time on the board in like, 6 months (I can't go to the World this year, and my heart hurts too much to see everyone's fun pics!) but I thought I would pop in and low and behold! I see your DR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pumped!

Thoughts:

We had FP booked for the Navi River Journey, the safari, and Everest, so we decided to standby Dinosaur since Sarah had never ridden.

AH4VYPsl.png

Ok...Dinosaur is the scariest ride I think I've ever been on. Takes my panic level through the roof. Also, I hate dinosaurs.

I passed the time by making R take photos of me, trying to make the Rock N Roller Coaster the new "it wall"

iSMRqsll.png

Love your ears!! They're gorge!

It was a nice spot and of course Illuminations made me cry as usual.

I also cry at Illuminations. Could be the multiple pints from R&C, but I always get teary at the end!

I'll have to check back more often for updates now. Y'all keep pulling me back in!

For dinner, I had the only thing I ever have at Via Napoli as I can't get anything like it at home:

LX4mKtal.png

Omg, you're killing me right now. I've only had it once and I'm already obsessed and I also can't get anything like it at home. We have a couple of Neopolitan style pizza places in our town, but they don't have anything at all similar to this. Gahhhh!!!! I think I could eat the large myself, I had no trouble polishing off the individual size.

That ice cream sampler looks super fun! We haven't had the chance to try Ample Hills yet, but surely we'll make it there when we are staying at BCV next trip.

I'd had this recent burning desire for Boma brunch. It's no secret that I love a Disney breakfast buffet, and Boma had never been on the rotation for me so I was looking forward to trying out something new. We waited for just a few minutes after our reservation before being seated in the area of the restaurant near the windows. We had great service and wasted no time filling our plates.
What is about the potato barrels at Boma?? They are so, so good! I may have eaten my weight in those when I had breakfast at Boma last summer.

Speaking of magic, after we returned to earth, we decided to introduce Sarah to one of WDW's best watering holes: the Nomad Lounge. We grabbed a table inside (it was pretty drizzly and gross outside by this point) and ordered libations.
Love Nomad Lounge!

Also pictured above is Sarah's wiser choice: Jenn's Tattoo - Ketel One Vodka, Watermelon, Hibiscus, and Lime Juice ($10.75), which is fairly similar in flavor to the Hightower Rocks, except this one may have been ever so slightly sweeter. Sarah really liked the candied hibiscus on top and it was certainly pretty!
Your drinks look great! I tried the Annapurna Zing last summer but think I may branch out and try a few others next summer.

Disney cheese danish - the breakfast of champions! I don't really understand why Disney cheese danish just tastes so much better than real world cheese danish, but I love it. Sarah went for a carrot cake cookie and shared a piece with me:
Disney cheese danishes are the best thing ever! And don't even get me started on the carrot cake cookies..........

I think the friendship boats are one of my favorite things about Walt Disney World. I love getting a seat on the back and enjoying the beautiful scenery as we cross Crescent Lake.
It is such a nice and relaxing way to go from HS to EP!

Guacamole with Totopos - Fresh-made Gucamole with Tortilla Chips - $8.50
This looks fantastic. Putting it on the list for next summer.

Large Carciofi pizza - white pizza with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. Heaven on a pie pan! This was $35.00 and worth every red cent. This is the first time I've ever managed to get a photo prior to tucking in to the pie! It's just that good, I can never control myself. The combination of cheeses and the addition of the rich, succulent truffle oil really puts this pizza over the top. I love the thin neopolitan style crust and never feel like they skimp on toppings. :thumbsup2 Solid thumbs up.
OK, I really need to eat at Via Napoli one day. I have the feeling I would ADORE this pizza.

This is the tasting flight from Ample Hills, my new favorite thing at Disney World. As was the case on our previous visit, the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake was my favorite, followed closely behind by the dark chocolate and neck and neck with Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace. Gosh now I want some Ample Hills! There is no way to describe just how wonderful this ice cream is unless you've had it yourself. The ice cream itself is perfection but everything that's mixed into the more complex varieties are totally quality ingredients. Can you tell I love this place?
This is on my must do list too...I really enjoyed the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake and definitely need to make my way back there to sample more flavours!

I am following along!

About half of the star speeders were down so the standby wait was close to an hour. We didn't have anywhere better to be so we toughed it out.

Ho8kFtBl.png
OH dear! Hollywood Studios is HURTING!! I just saw that they are shutting down the 3rd track at Toy Story Mania and then another to get ready for Toy Story Land. If Star Tours goes down while that is going on. There will be practically nothing to do there!

The waits were getting long but we were contemplating doing Toy Storia Midway Mania on standby so we could accomplish all four (LOL) rides in the park.
Ha!

We stopped for some beers in Germany... intrepid food reporter Melinda took no notes on what this was and now I have no clue, but it looks like... BEER!

XoTj1ZKl.png
I am hoping to try out baseline when we are there again. It looks like they have a really big selection!

We checked in at Via Napoli and the place was an absolute zoo. For the life of me I don't understand why they can't have you check in out in the piazza and hand out pagers. The little entry area and method of calling out names in thickly accented (though lovely) stage whispers just doesn't make for a relaxing experience. Our ADR was at 8:35 and I think we waited 15-20 minutes past that for a table.
It is craziness in that little lobby. I remember when we went, we thought that we were going to have to wait a long time. But they called our names almost immediately. I didn't really know what was up with it, but I wasn't going to complain. I love Via Napoli. So good!

It's funny, the more I go to WDW the less I care how far out of the way things are... maybe because we are using Uber more and more.
Makes sense! I feel that way but unfortunately in his old age :laughing: Steve is feeling the opposite. However I think I'm going to book Boma breakfast for my friend and I on our short Feb. trip!

we decided to introduce Sarah to one of WDW's best watering holes: the Nomad Lounge. We grabbed a table inside (it was pretty drizzly and gross outside by this point) and ordered libations.
Can't wait to get back to Nomad Lounge! Since Ricky is keen on Tiffins menu we're just going to eat in the lounge in March. I can't believe how popular it's become! When Steve and I went in there for drinks before eating at Tiffins in November it was PACKED, both inside and all the tables outside. I mean I'm glad it's doing so well and that Tiffins is too, but we had to wait quite awhile to get seats :(

House-smoked Kobe-style Beef Brisket Poutine
Huh, I don't think I've noticed this on the menu there! Chris would love this.

I passed the time by making R take photos of me, trying to make the Rock N Roller Coaster the new "it wall"
:laughing:

I'd put on a motion sickness patch this morning and wanted to use it to my advantage to experience Star Tours
I've never ridden ST and this is one of the reasons - and the fact that I'm not a SW fan. Actually none of us have ridden it but Ricky really wants to so I think we will be in March, and I'll probably have to close my eyes the whole time. I got ridiculously nauseous on Minions at Universal and they do have an option where you sit in a non-moving seat, but those are so close to the screen that made me feel sick, too.

Passion Fruit Cheesecake with Toasted Macadamia Nuts
Damn, something I wanted to try and forgot about!

Moët & Chandon Brut Rosé Imperial
Aaaaaaand something else I wanted to try and forgot :headache: So many things at the festival, so little time...................

(I think I was worried about losing my ears... or either caught mid-YMCA :laughing:)

Definitely doing the YMCA ::yes::

This was one of my favorite dishes at the TIW Food and Wine Tasting Preview, and it didn't disappoint at the festival either.

That looks delicious! I wish I had room to try more, but then I'd have tried basically everything :rotfl:

This is the tasting flight from Ample Hills, my new favorite thing at Disney World. As was the case on our previous visit, the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake was my favorite, followed closely behind by the dark chocolate and neck and neck with Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace. Gosh now I want some Ample Hills! There is no way to describe just how wonderful this ice cream is unless you've had it yourself.

That looks so delicious! I saw one of those on Instagram awhile ago, and I told Josh we have to go get one sometime! Not sure how they'd work that with him being GF too, but we'd figure it out. We just never seem to make it there, but I have a good feeling about May.

Love Vi Napoli pizza, the one you had looks so good. We have always had delicious food here. The wait staff can be hit or miss but fun to look at:tongue:

Joining in!

That pizza at VN looks so good! I remember seeing it in a TR before and then I forgot about it when I was there. I'm not going to forget next time! It's definitely on my list!

Can't wait to read more :-)

For dinner, I had the only thing I ever have at Via Napoli as I can't get anything like it at home:

LX4mKtal.png

Large Carciofi pizza - white pizza with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. Heaven on a pie pan! This was $35.00 and worth every red cent. This is the first time I've ever managed to get a photo prior to tucking in to the pie! It's just that good, I can never control myself. The combination of cheeses and the addition of the rich, succulent truffle oil really puts this pizza over the top. I love the thin neopolitan style crust and never feel like they skimp on toppings. :thumbsup2 Solid thumbs up.

This is my favorite thing at Via Napoli! Granted, I was steered by this board to order it after seeing all the delicious pictures of it, but it does not disappoint. I'm taking my extended family this summer and can't wait to share it with others as my husband is strictly a meat-lovers pizza fan, no veggies o_O

Beer Advocate says it is a tripel-style golden ale. I find it a lighter beer but with some nice fruity notes, more heavy than a Hefeweissen for sure but easy drinking. Also it's 9% ABV and usually available in a 16 oz pour, so it's normally our first stop at World Showcase depending on which way we enter. Can't hurt to try it sometime!
Thanks for the hook up. I have never heard of this ever. Will most definitely have to try what will officially be called the Melinda beer in our house :drinking1

tWIs2pdl.png

(I think I was worried about losing my ears... or either caught mid-YMCA :laughing:)
I'm gonna vote for you were striking a pose and voguing :P

DQzWvyYl.png

We then backtracked over to the Thailand booth so that I could order the Red Hot Spicy Thai Curry Beef with Steamed Rice – $5.50. This was one of my favorite dishes at the TIW Food and Wine Tasting Preview, and it didn't disappoint at the festival either. This is a pretty substantial serving and I loved the rich flavors here. I did feel that the quality of beef was very hit or miss, but this serving was tender and delicious. Another hit!
Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my computer. This looks and sounds divine!!! I don't think I'd heard anything about this at all so it wasn't on my radar. Why could you not do this report before my trip :P:confused3

LX4mKtal.png

Heaven on a pie pan is probably the most astute description of this divine pizza I have ever heard. There should be no control, there should be no photo taking, there should only be gluttony for the most perfect pizza ever created :-)

MkkLYgyl.png

Sarah had the Prosciutto e Melone individual size - white pizza with fontina, mozzarella, prosciutto, cantaloupe, arugula. ($23) She offered me some and it was good! Not as good as the Carciofi, but nothing is!
This is another one of my favorites, but like you once you've carciofi'd you can't go back. I love this pizza and would love to have it again, but no way I'm sacrificing artichokes or truffle for it!

viab8zfl.png

This is the tasting flight from Ample Hills, my new favorite thing at Disney World. As was the case on our previous visit, the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake was my favorite, followed closely behind by the dark chocolate and neck and neck with Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace. Gosh now I want some Ample Hills! There is no way to describe just how wonderful this ice cream is unless you've had it yourself. The ice cream itself is perfection but everything that's mixed into the more complex varieties are totally quality ingredients. Can you tell I love this place?

I'm here! I binged on a lot of your old DRs last year as I narrowed down where we wanted to go on our wedding and honeymoon extravaganza trip :) But I haven't gotten to follow a live one!

Y'all here on the dining boards have gotten me hooked on the Firecracker Shrimp - Crispy fried shrimp tossed in a creamy, spicy sauce, Asian slaw ($10.99). This massive portion is an appetizer. These are not too spicy but have just the right note of heat, and the slaw they are served with is so tasty and umami flavored. I love this dish and so did everyone else!
I ate these as my entree - so good! They reminded me of a similar app I used to get at a steakhouse in my hometown before it closed.

House-smoked Kobe-style Beef Brisket Poutine - Steak Fries, House-made Mozzarella, Pan Sauce ($12). These were incredible. Go order them!!! I stole this photo from the internet as we inhaled them so fast I never took a photo. NOM NOM NOM. Steak fries are one of those rare underappreciated treats in my opinion. These were hearty, beefy, cheesy, and delectable.
These look delicious! I want to make a stop in Nomad's for a drink our next trip, I think.

Of course it was delicious! I truly think some of the items at Food and Wine are insanely overpriced, but the value on this dish is fairly decent. You get a nice portion of pretty good quality steak for only $8.
Canada ended up being one of my favorite booths. But I always missed out on the icewine flights because they were out everytime I stopped to ask. Even last month at the Yukon holiday booth. I just really want to try the icewine... :drinking1

I got both at the Cantina de San Angel - I really like the chips here and even though this is just a quick service option, I am finding it increasingly difficult to pass up nachos or guacamole as we tour WS each trip.
I really like the nachos here.

Moët & Chandon Brut Rosé Imperial – normally $16.00 but had for the low price of one sampler tab I'd bought back in September. Again this was lovely - a delicate, lightly floral sparkling wine that wasn't too sweet to enjoy. A favorite of mine this year!
I missed this... :sad:

We stopped for some beers in Germany... intrepid food reporter Melinda took no notes on what this was and now I have no clue, but it looks like... BEER!
Excellent deductive reasoning! :thumbsup2

We checked in at Via Napoli and the place was an absolute zoo. For the life of me I don't understand why they can't have you check in out in the piazza and hand out pagers. The little entry area and method of calling out names in thickly accented (though lovely) stage whispers just doesn't make for a relaxing experience. Our ADR was at 8:35 and I think we waited 15-20 minutes past that for a table.
Agreed! I was very overwhelmed on our ADR, and we ended up crammed in by the hostess stand because I was afraid I wouldn't hear them.

Large Carciofi pizza - white pizza with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, and truffle oil. Heaven on a pie pan!
YUM.

This is the tasting flight from Ample Hills, my new favorite thing at Disney World. As was the case on our previous visit, the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake was my favorite, followed closely behind by the dark chocolate and neck and neck with Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace.
Wait there's a flight!! Because even though I enjoyed the OG Butter cake, I would have been down for trying multiple flavors. Good thing we're at the Dolphin next trip...

This looks really good. The only wine I really like is sparkling wine. Is this over by France?
This was temporary for F&W, sadly :sad: it was in the Almond Orchard booth, which was the F&W name for Promenade Refreshments, which is one of those little kiosk buildings that's there year round. I think if it's not festival time it sells like... hot dogs? OKAY HOLD THE PHONE I just looked up the menu to confirm what their year round menu is and it has some great beers. Now I am kinda sad that they probably won't be available during the Festival of the Arts...

Sorry, ADD. Anyway, yes, this was a nice sparkling wine but I suggest that you and fiance-boo find it for a toast at home as Disney decided the little plastic flute amount was worth $16 :sad2:

This looks heavenly. I'm going here on my upcoming trip in a couple weeks. I went there once with a friend back in 2011 and I'm really excited to go back. Pizza is one of my favorite types of food.
Oh yes, yes it is! :teeth: Glad you are getting back!

My brother would love this. When we went to Italy as teenagers with my parents my brother ate prosciutto and cantaloupe almost everyday we were there. It was a really popular dish on the menu all over. Honestly, I never tried it, the combo of meat and fruit just seems a little weird to me.
I am usually a firm "no fruit on pizza" gal (the Hawaiian pineapple pizza is probably my least favorite) but I was a trooper and tried this and was surprised by how good it was. Though I think there are very few toppings you could put on top of that heavenly crust and not enjoy!

I love Ample Hills. I've never tried a sampler before, I don't think my fiance and I could finish this just ourselves. But it looks really really good.
I'm not saying it's a small serving, because it's 6 scoops, but this picture is deceptive. The flight container is actually a round egg carton! One time they didn't have the Ample Hills logo sticker on them and it said it was a half dozen farm fresh eggs :rotfl: so the scoops are small - obviously like a non-oblong egg size. Kinda like a large ping pong ball? But R is a dessert monster (I swear the man has a hollow leg or a second stomach) so we have no problem finishing this.

Wow, what a thorough response! You really know your Disney details. :worship: We are headed down for a week at the beginning of February and I will keep an eye out for those queue details. We also have magic bands up to four years old, I think that is about when the program started rolling out? In February 2014 we got married on the balcony of the wilderness Lodge. So we are returning In a few weeks to celebrate our anniversary. Ok, time for me to go back and read your latest post! Yippee! You have such a fun writing style.:love:
Uh, yes. My disney dorkiness is VERY DEEP! :laughing: Happy anniversary! What an amazing and beautiful place to be married! I hope you are having the best time planning your trip. WL is one of my very favorite resorts!

Ehmergerd! Haaaaaay!!! This is my second time on the board in like, 6 months (I can't go to the World this year, and my heart hurts too much to see everyone's fun pics!) but I thought I would pop in and low and behold! I see your DR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pumped!
I mean, I was kinda like WHERE THE HECK IS NATALIE but I also didn't want to make you feel bad by calling you out, so instead I will just say... WELCOME!!! :flower3::flower3::flower3::flower3: Also I have a hard enough time between trips if they are even a few months apart so I totally get taking some time away from the boards. Hopefully not doing Disney this year means your family has some fun other plans in the works! I guess it's fine to do other vacations... sometimes... :p (If I repeat this to myself, it becomes true right?)

Ok...Dinosaur is the scariest ride I think I've ever been on. Takes my panic level through the roof. Also, I hate dinosaurs.
haha! I love this ride and R doesn't like it because he needs a chiropractor afterward. I just love the cheesy dialogue, but I think I would be just as happy to watch the pre-show film and then hear the rest of the Dr. Seeker narration on another movie...:rotfl:Vintage Phylicia Rashad kinda of makes my world go 'round also. I feel like you are a lady who would appreciate that.

Love your ears!! They're gorge!
Thanks! I think I've lost them, now that you mention it... Oh well, I can make more where those came from!

I also cry at Illuminations. Could be the multiple pints from R&C, but I always get teary at the end!
Nooooooo it could never be the copious amount of drinks I enjoy that cue the waterworks... :rolleyes1At fireworks and on Big Thunder Mountain (for whatever reason) I always feel like I am part of the family in the sitcom that's finally at Disney World. Or that I'm in a promotional video. I think what I am grasping to explain poorly is the nostalgia. SO good with Illuminations!

Omg, you're killing me right now. I've only had it once and I'm already obsessed and I also can't get anything like it at home. We have a couple of Neopolitan style pizza places in our town, but they don't have anything at all similar to this. Gahhhh!!!! I think I could eat the large myself, I had no trouble polishing off the individual size.

That ice cream sampler looks super fun! We haven't had the chance to try Ample Hills yet, but surely we'll make it there when we are staying at BCV next trip.
Believe me, I have thought about getting a Neopolitan style bianco cheese from my local place and bringing it home and doctoring it up myself with truffle oil... I just don't think it would be the same! I did try making one myself one time... I am not good at the crust and my pizza oven is definitely not coal fired and imported from Italy or whatever extreme credentials Disney's have. DIY fail!

Definitely make it a point to stop by Ample Hills. Best new addition to the Boardwalk recently!!

What is about the potato barrels at Boma?? They are so, so good! I may have eaten my weight in those when I had breakfast at Boma last summer.
Oh my gosh, your report is one of the reasons I made it a point to try the potato barrels if memory serves! They would not normally be my go-to, but the "afritude" seasoning must have illegal chemicals in it to taste so good!

Your drinks look great! I tried the Annapurna Zing last summer but think I may branch out and try a few others next summer.
Well just don't go as far branching out as I did :crazy2: haha. But yes, the drinks there on the whole are definitely worth sampling a few of!

Disney cheese danishes are the best thing ever! And don't even get me started on the carrot cake cookies..........
No kidding. Why are cheese danishes only that good from the Disney bakeries? And that carrot cake cookie... ugh. Torture even remembering my happiness now that I am back on the diet wagon!

OK, I really need to eat at Via Napoli one day. I have the feeling I would ADORE this pizza.
I think you would! But save it for a non-solo trip, I think. The atmosphere of this place is just nutballs. There are so many places at WDW I would love to visit solo but this is not one of them :scared: We have never had what you might call a relaxing experience there.

This is on my must do list too...I really enjoyed the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake and definitely need to make my way back there to sample more flavours!
Well this is for sure the easiest way to taste a bunch! Though I will admit I have my favorites and am no longer so eager to branch out.

I am following along!
Hey there! Welcome! So glad to have you here!!

OH dear! Hollywood Studios is HURTING!! I just saw that they are shutting down the 3rd track at Toy Story Mania and then another to get ready for Toy Story Land. If Star Tours goes down while that is going on. There will be practically nothing to do there!
Noooo kidding. Which pains me, because I do so love Tower of Terror. Although my view through the trees of Toy Story land looked like it was really far along, so I don't think we have long to wait. I have pretty vivid memories of MGM Studios as a kid so I am eager to see what the new vision of this park shapes up to be.

I am hoping to try out baseline when we are there again. It looks like they have a really big selection!
They definitely had one of the most unique menus on property. I am glad they took the plunge on focusing just on California beers. I hope it stays that way (and I hope the prices stay low!) Although I will say I think they can use a few more food options. I mean, Starring Rolls once had those slices of pre-made huge sandwiches and I think just offering a couple options like that would take this place a long way.

It is craziness in that little lobby. I remember when we went, we thought that we were going to have to wait a long time. But they called our names almost immediately. I didn't really know what was up with it, but I wasn't going to complain. I love Via Napoli. So good!
It ends up being worth it but the lobby just triggers panic in me. I'm like, "Did you say Melinda" every time they call a name!

Can't wait to get back to Nomad Lounge! Since Ricky is keen on Tiffins menu we're just going to eat in the lounge in March. I can't believe how popular it's become! When Steve and I went in there for drinks before eating at Tiffins in November it was PACKED, both inside and all the tables outside. I mean I'm glad it's doing so well and that Tiffins is too, but we had to wait quite awhile to get seats :(
No kidding! I sort of dismissed the notion that it was going to be packed once Pandora opened but that prediction seems to have come true. I am actually glad it's busier as I would have hate to see them either change the entire menu or close altogether. Animal Kingdom is probably my favorite place to just relax and chill, and nomad is no small part of that!

I've never ridden ST and this is one of the reasons - and the fact that I'm not a SW fan. Actually none of us have ridden it but Ricky really wants to so I think we will be in March, and I'll probably have to close my eyes the whole time. I got ridiculously nauseous on Minions at Universal and they do have an option where you sit in a non-moving seat, but those are so close to the screen that made me feel sick, too.
Ugh, hilariously enough Star Tours is actually one of the earliest Disney memories I have because I rode it as a child and then got sick in a rental car :crazy2: between that and body wars, I'm not sure why my parents kept taking me on simulators, but both of those made me sick as well as a Bermuda Triangle simulator attraction at Sea World, so I guess it took at least three experiences for them to figure out what was going on... :sad2:

Even when I have a scopolamine patch on I still don't like the motion feeling. It seriously just feels like being put in a giant shoe box and shaken around. I am just not wired for it, apparently.

Damn, something I wanted to try and forgot about!

Aaaaaaand something else I wanted to try and forgot :headache: So many things at the festival, so little time...................
As you well know, ALWAYS something good to go back for! :thumbsup2 What was your favorite dish from F&W now that we are in retrospective mode?

Definitely doing the YMCA ::yes::
:banana:

That looks delicious! I wish I had room to try more, but then I'd have tried basically everything :rotfl:
Well I don't see it as a problem to meet all your goals!! #completionist

That looks so delicious! I saw one of those on Instagram awhile ago, and I told Josh we have to go get one sometime! Not sure how they'd work that with him being GF too, but we'd figure it out. We just never seem to make it there, but I have a good feeling about May.
Maybe they would put the GF and non-GF ones in separate containers for you? It's Disney, magic can happen!! This is one of those places that I will forget about and we'll be getting ready to leave the park and R is like "Orrrr we could go out the back way to Ample Hills"...:laughing:

Love Vi Napoli pizza, the one you had looks so good. We have always had delicious food here. The wait staff can be hit or miss but fun to look at:tongue:
You are not kidding, lady! At least they are a good looking bunch :hyper: Service is so different in Italy, I feel like our expectations are just not properly set for the ambiance and service offered. Oh well, hasn't kept me separated from my beloved truffle oil in the past, probably won't in the future either!

Joining in!

That pizza at VN looks so good! I remember seeing it in a TR before and then I forgot about it when I was there. I'm not going to forget next time! It's definitely on my list!

Can't wait to read more :-)
Yay! I feel like I have been visited by a DIS celebrity. Glad to have you here and thanks for reading along!

This is my favorite thing at Via Napoli! Granted, I was steered by this board to order it after seeing all the delicious pictures of it, but it does not disappoint. I'm taking my extended family this summer and can't wait to share it with others as my husband is strictly a meat-lovers pizza fan, no veggies o_O
Hey we DISers are all just looking out for each other. I have not often been steered wrong by the trusty reports on this board and, in fact, it has led me to some previously unexplored gems! Your husband can get his own, non-truffle-amazingness pizza, that's why they make individuals! (And you can get a large carciofi for yourself because fontina and artichoke and truffle oil that's why)

Thanks for the hook up. I have never heard of this ever. Will most definitely have to try what will officially be called the Melinda beer in our house :drinking1
I would be honored! But now I'm worried you won't like it. Also, this just in: apparently during times of non-festival, the "Promenade Refreshments" has a great beer selection. Looks like 3 or 4 Florida local beers! I will have to mentally tab this information for future use...

I'm gonna vote for you were striking a pose and voguing :P
"Let your body go with the flow, you know you can do it!":woohoo:

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my computer. This looks and sounds divine!!! I don't think I'd heard anything about this at all so it wasn't on my radar. Why could you not do this report before my trip :P:confused3
It was so good! Let's blame my clients. I do frequently :laughing:

Heaven on a pie pan is probably the most astute description of this divine pizza I have ever heard. There should be no control, there should be no photo taking, there should only be gluttony for the most perfect pizza ever created :-)

This is another one of my favorites, but like you once you've carciofi'd you can't go back. I love this pizza and would love to have it again, but no way I'm sacrificing artichokes or truffle for it!
Nope, once you've carciofi'd you CANNOT ever go back. I am looking for a Casey level of further accolade but falling short. I still have yet to add arugula, though I know my dining guru highly recommends it - gotta try that next time.

I'm here! I binged on a lot of your old DRs last year as I narrowed down where we wanted to go on our wedding and honeymoon extravaganza trip :) But I haven't gotten to follow a live one!
Yay! SO glad to have you. I binged your wedding TR to catch up and I also read your Disneyland report (though I can't remember if I was a lurker or actually said hi). So many of the dining reports here have helped me plan or prioritize trips, I'm glad to know mine are of some use also. I'm also low-key obsessed with Swan/Dolphin so glad to have a fellow fan along!

These look delicious! I want to make a stop in Nomad's for a drink our next trip, I think.
Yes you should, for sure! They offer either the option of sitting down and relaxing with your drink or just ordering from the bar in a "to go" cup, which can be fun to take with you if you have something else in mind for while you sip (*cough* burudika)

Canada ended up being one of my favorite booths. But I always missed out on the icewine flights because they were out everytime I stopped to ask. Even last month at the Yukon holiday booth. I just really want to try the icewine... :drinking1
I have not had icewine in ages. I remember not liking it but I also tried this in the days prior to working on my wine palate. I wonder if they have a flight in Le Cellier? R and I have been contemplating booking another lunch there to go back for maybe one shared entree and some apps. The Canada pavilion is so underrated!

Agreed! I was very overwhelmed on our ADR, and we ended up crammed in by the hostess stand because I was afraid I wouldn't hear them.
Thank you! Glad to have a comrade in arms. I am so anxious, it should really not be that nerve-wracking just waiting on a table but my brain is going 900 miles an hour "Was that my name? Will I understand it if they pronounce it differently? They just put a slip to the bottom of the stack! Was THAT my name?!"

Wait there's a flight!! Because even though I enjoyed the OG Butter cake, I would have been down for trying multiple flavors. Good thing we're at the Dolphin next trip...
GO FOR IT! It wasn't that expensive either. I learned of this from the dining prodigy @Vernie822 if memory serves. Enjoy and pass along the tip!!

This was temporary for F&W, sadly :sad: it was in the Almond Orchard booth, which was the F&W name for Promenade Refreshments, which is one of those little kiosk buildings that's there year round. I think if it's not festival time it sells like... hot dogs? OKAY HOLD THE PHONE I just looked up the menu to confirm what their year round menu is and it has some great beers. Now I am kinda sad that they probably won't be available during the Festival of the Arts...

Sorry, ADD. Anyway, yes, this was a nice sparkling wine but I suggest that you and fiance-boo find it for a toast at home as Disney decided the little plastic flute amount was worth $16 :sad2:
$16 wow that's expensive. The most popular F&W booths should get to stay year round.

Oh yes, yes it is! :teeth: Glad you are getting back!
Going this Monday :)

I'm not saying it's a small serving, because it's 6 scoops, but this picture is deceptive. The flight container is actually a round egg carton! One time they didn't have the Ample Hills logo sticker on them and it said it was a half dozen farm fresh eggs :rotfl: so the scoops are small - obviously like a non-oblong egg size. Kinda like a large ping pong ball? But R is a dessert monster (I swear the man has a hollow leg or a second stomach) so we have no problem finishing this.
My fiance would have no problem finishing it too. It's his favorite ice cream place, probably because of his childish humor when he says the name.

Yay! SO glad to have you. I binged your wedding TR to catch up and I also read your Disneyland report (though I can't remember if I was a lurker or actually said hi). So many of the dining reports here have helped me plan or prioritize trips, I'm glad to know mine are of some use also. I'm also low-key obsessed with Swan/Dolphin so glad to have a fellow fan along!

Yes you should, for sure! They offer either the option of sitting down and relaxing with your drink or just ordering from the bar in a "to go" cup, which can be fun to take with you if you have something else in mind for while you sip (*cough* burudika)

I have not had icewine in ages. I remember not liking it but I also tried this in the days prior to working on my wine palate. I wonder if they have a flight in Le Cellier? R and I have been contemplating booking another lunch there to go back for maybe one shared entree and some apps. The Canada pavilion is so underrated!

Thank you! Glad to have a comrade in arms. I am so anxious, it should really not be that nerve-wracking just waiting on a table but my brain is going 900 miles an hour "Was that my name? Will I understand it if they pronounce it differently? They just put a slip to the bottom of the stack! Was THAT my name?!"

GO FOR IT! It wasn't that expensive either. I learned of this from the dining prodigy @Vernie822 if memory serves. Enjoy and pass along the tip!!
I've learned so many things from the boards! And now more - ice cream flights and to-go cups from Nomad's ;)

The Dolphin beat out BLT for us. BLT was very nice and we had an MK view, but we had an Epcot view from the Dolphin for the wedding and we could also see DHS fireworks, sooooo maybe a little bias from that. But the feel of the Dolphin was more my style. But the only other place we've stayed is Pop, so we have lots to try :)

They do have a flight in Le Cellier, because I saw someone at the table next to us get it when we ate there. I was trying to hold out for the F&W one since it was cheaper... :rolleyes1 Your Le Cellier plan sounds like a good one. We had eyes bigger than our stomachs when we went and ordered wayyyy too much (because how could we not get steaks, poutine, the soup, and dessert? and maybe the mac and cheese too? :rotfl:). Next time we're splitting the entree so we can eat all the sides!

Hopefully someday I will finish my DLR report...

Life Update:
I don't have any idea why I thought that I would have time to finish another dining report when I started in December. As the lack of posts has proven, it's been a really busy few months for me. I am down to 77 days until wedding day (WHAT) and a mere 25 days until my next Disney trip.

I know no one thought there was a real chance of my going anywhere else besides Disney for a bachelorette celebration, and I am so looking forward to showing some of my friends why I love Flower & Garden so much. So between planning for the wedding and my insane first quarter at work, I've neglected the dining report here :crazy2: and have either been saving many of your reports, Dis friends, for when I had time to reply, or I've been reading along in lurker silence. I apologize, but c'est la vie. I also bid farewell to my annual pass by visiting WDW over MLK weekend and wrote a quick review of my experiences at the Festival of the Arts and Geyser Point. You can check those out here: Just Back - Quick Festival of the Arts and Geyser Point reviews Maybe eventually I will write up reviews on the rest of what we did that weekend. We also booked one night at the Poly (CL) for our "mini-moon" after our wedding - we're taking a quick beach trip immediately after our wedding but hoping to do our real honeymoon over Christmas 2018 when we have more time away from work. Back to your regularly scheduled program...

10/7 - Saturday in the Parks....

We slept in this morning - Sarah had planned to head in to Epcot without us and ride a few things, but due to forgetting her gift card for the festival in her room and having boat woes, we all wound up entering Epcot around 11. Per my texts with Sarah, we were going to meet at the Africa booth...

GCB5YLG.png

But I got sidetracked by the China booth and R and I picked up some cocktails to start the day properly. R had the Happy Peach with DeKuyper Peach Liqueur and Myers’s Dark Rum – $8.95 and I had the BaiJoe Punch with Chinese Bai Jui Spirit, Lychee, Coconut and Pineapple Juice – $10.50.

These were strong and tasty - I liked the lychee flavor in the BaiJoe punch but R did not. It had an interesting tang and I found it refreshing. The Happy Peach was strong and fruity. Both went down easy.

2hRDWJG.png

Our next stop was the Africa booth for an item I had been coveting, which I ordered post haste. The Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket with Mint Raita – $4.00 was a nice portion size for the price and was packed with delicious spicy flavors. The mint raita was a nice cool complement to the unique spice flavors that had a little bit of hot-spice as well as curry type spice. I really enjoyed this and would definitely get it again.

rVWZPmT.png

We also wanted to have the Spicy Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew with Vegan Yogurt and Quinoa – $4.50. We had tried this previously at the Tables in Wonderland preview and it was one of my favorite dishes at that event. The depth of flavor here was wonderful and it suffered nothing from being vegan. We again enjoyed the exotic spice flavors in this dish.

We rounded out our visit to the Africa booth by trying the final dish:

TYFy2XV.png

Berbere-style Beef Tenderloin Tips with Onions, Jalapeños, Tomato and Pap – $5.25. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about this dish. I'm inclined to say that it was lackluster, but I just don't remember it well enough to give you a full review on the flavors.

My beloved was overdue for a dessert, so he headed nearby to the Germany booth to grab something sweet.

pVJ6OO0.png

Apple Strudel with Vanilla Sauce – $4.00. I enjoyed this, but because it was a very hot day, wished that it was accompanied by a hearty scoop of vanilla ice cream. The pastry was flaky and this was a solid choice.

tiX4lKN.png

R had the Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll – $5.25. I don't remember if I tried this. However, it was a large portion and a fairly good value.

Meanwhile, Sarah and I had split up from R to grab a couple of dishes from the India booth:

1SbFYkp.png

We'd had these dishes on our previous visit to the festival and they were definitely worth a second visit to have again! The Warm Indian Bread with Pickled Garlic, Mango Salsa and Coriander Pesto Dips – $4.75, was one of my favorite options at food and wine because it was like a small taste of the Sanaa bread service. Unfortunately, as there's never enough bread, we had to prioritize the dips. Of course the coriander pesto was my favorite here as it is at Sanaa. Very good!

Korma Chicken with Cucumber Tomato Salad, Almonds, Cashews and Warm Naan Bread – $5.25. This was another favorite dish of mine - the creamy curry sauce was again rich and delicious with a very nice depth of flavor that I'm unaccustomed to at the Epcot festivals. We sacrified the naan that came with this dish to the greater good of the dips. Still great!

The day was really warming up by this point, and we were fading. We knew air conditioning was necessary and set off in search of a place we knew we'd find some.

QvCLYyP.png

We traversed world showcase and decided to grab more snacks at the Flavors from Fire booth.

6eMwr9n.png

Piggy Wings: Roasted Pork Wings with Korean BBQ Sauce and Sesame Seeds – $4.50, I think these were Sarah's. I don't remember trying them again this year but I loved them in the past! Sweet and savory with lots of rich flavor.

Smoked Corned Beef with Warm Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions and Blonde Ale Beer Fondue featuring BelGioioso Romano and America Grana Cheeses – $5.00, a better serving than we'd had on our previous visit. What possible accolades can I add to the fact that these were salty, cheesy, beefy crisps?

Chocolate Picante: Dark Chocolate Mousse with Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder and Raspberry Dust – $3.25, again, a delicious rich chocolate with a surprising spicy kick. I always liked when R ordered this so I could sneak a bite or two, as it was rich and sort of a novelty to me and I wouldn't be able to finish one on my own.

jHNVLEs.png

We were able to change our fastpass plans on the fly while we cooled off in Innoventions enjoying our treats. We'd initially planned to take a break and head to Animal Kingdom after taking a nice nap. Based on our late start, we ultimately decided just to head straight to Animal Kingdowm without our rest.

6TML1ba.png

We grabbed a beer in Harambe before using our fastpass for a safari.

kBU1KCu.png

How can you not love the adorable baby giraffe?!

pZLpYOol.png

Next up, we all rode Flight of Passage and zomg yes it was amazing. As everyone knows by now.

3pv6tj3l.png

And the area is just so incredibly beautiful and intensively themed

qB6CuTUl.png

Of course, I had to get the instagram fad photo with the moss wall.

n1TwJIUl.png

By this point it was late afternoon and we were all in need of a rest since we hadn't taken one between parks. As you might know, the Poly and the Grand Floridian sometimes share parks buses, especially mid-afternoon when there are fewer travelers. Well we had a really weird ride back to the resort because when we arrived at the Polynesian (the first drop off), the bus driver could not get the bus to kneel properly to board a guest using an ECV. We probably sat there watching this poor bus driver trying to get it to work for about 10 minutes. When he turned the bus all the way off and radio-ed for assistance, we threw in the towel, despite our fatigue, and decided to get off the bus and walk to the Grand from the Poly. Of course, I needed to stop for sustenance to get us through that many dozens of yard walk! :rotfl2:

Captain Cook's really is a gem of a QS, so we love grabbing food from there and the ability to walk back to our room was just the icing on the cake. Or the queso on the nacho, as it were...

FFBZNvrl.png

These are the pork nachos -
Pulled Pork Nachos topped with Onions, Cheese, Spicy Mayo, Tomatoes, and Pineapple Salsa (ours were ordered with pineapple salsa on the side). $7.92 after our 20% annual pass discount. You can't tell from the photo but this was a massive portion! They are made on kettle chips and are so flavorful and perfect for snacking. Both R and I ate all we could and we still had some to put in the refrigerator. I am not a fan of pineapple on savory things, but the pineapple salsa that came with these was actually pretty good. I'm still glad it wasn't covering the entire serving though.

With our tummies happy, we had a bit of a rest.

Up next: a Grand evening spent close to "home"

rVWZPmT.png

We also wanted to have the Spicy Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew with Vegan Yogurt and Quinoa – $4.50. We had tried this previously at the Tables in Wonderland preview and it was one of my favorite dishes at that event. The depth of flavor here was wonderful and it suffered nothing from being vegan. We again enjoyed the exotic spice flavors in this dish.
This looks really good. I love lentil soup and make it all the time. I feel like this dish is healthy and something I should try and eat. (I feel like I always gravitate towards the unhealthy food on vacation)

pVJ6OO0.png

Apple Strudel with Vanilla Sauce – $4.00. I enjoyed this, but because it was a very hot day, wished that it was accompanied by a hearty scoop of vanilla ice cream. The pastry was flaky and this was a solid choice.

This looks good too. I love apple strudel, but it should totally have ice cream paired with it. Although I might be a little biased since ice cream is my favorite type of dessert.

This looks delicious, so it was obviously meant to be for your bus to have troubles. Disney buses are really hit or miss for having a good trip. Sometimes they can be really quick, but I feel like a lot of the time there are issues.

How are your wedding plans coming along? You're getting really close to the date, that's exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter