I-75 Campgrounds North of Atlanta

Hundred Acre Woods

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! My family and I are headed to the Fort next month. We are coming down I-75 from the Knoxville, TN area. We are looking for a campground just north of Atlanta to spend the night at on the way down. Last year we drove through Atlanta in the evening and stopped at a KOA in Forsyth, GA. The traffic was horrible. We are not able to leave east TN till about 3:00 in the afternoon. I don't want to go through Atlanta at 6:30 in the evening like last year. So, our thought is to get just north of Atlanta, spend the night, get up very early the next morning and drive through. Any campground recommendations would be appreciated.

It would have to be VERY early to get through Atlanta morning traffic.

Not trying to dissuade you from your plan but it would almost be preferable to delay departure by an hour and go through Atlanta at night at 730pm. That way you could still stay on the south side of Gotham City.

I hope someone can recommend a place to overnight for you but don't underestimate the morning drive either (having lived in Atlanta, driven inside the Perimeter daily, and lived to tell about it).

Used to live off Cedar Bluff Road/Kingston Pike area too. LONG time ago.

Bama Ed

If you have more than one person in the tow vehicle, you can use the HOV lanes. All you need to do is to keep up with the traffic. I do it all the time, even without a camper.

I live in the west burbs of Gotham city, like the name Ed. I would agree with Bama ed unless it is a Saturday morning then not quite as early. I am not sure when you are headed, but there is some serious construction on 75 south just past 285. Construction usually starts at 9 pm on Fridays and goes all weekend. If you are trying to get through atl on a week day then you need to hit the road by 5 am. The koa in Forsyth is right in the middle of the construction.

I don't think I helped much.

If the little arm and the big arm are pointing at any number on the clock, Atlanta will be a mess. I have gone through there many many times towing a trailer and I cant really say one is any better. I definitely will never go through just after 2 AM though, the idiots in their expensive sports cars came out of the woodwork (or bar)

Good campground north of Atlanta: Harvest Moon in Adairsville (about 1 hour north of downtown).

As for the construction south of 285, how bad? I was PLANNING on heading through this Saturday morning.

Recently we have been travelling through Alabama, but with my parents in the RV for the trip, I have had a hard time finding a good campground just north of Birmingham with a good hotel near by (for my parents). Last time we just stayed in a hotel in Birmingham, but we have dogs, so that narrows the selection, and lets just say we didn't have a good time :-0.

So anyway, any info on how bad the construction is south of Atlanta would be greatly appreciated. Also any good places to stay (Pet friendly hotel or RV park / good hotel around or just north of Birmingham) would be greatly appreciated on my side :-)

Bill

Well after discussing it with my DH last night and after the information you all have posted, I think we have decided to just drive through and stop South of Atlanta and not North. I think we are going to take Ed's advice and try to reach Atlanta around 7:30 p.m. instead of 6:30 p.m. Maybe that will help a little. We will be driving through on a Thursday evening so we shouldn't have to deal with the weekend construction on the way down.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

I think that coming through Atlanta around 7:30 sounds like a good plan. I just wanted to mention that the Georgia State Parks have some nice campgrounds. You can check their website if you are interested. We are tent campers and have stayed at quite a few of the state parks and have always been pleased.

Bill, the construction is pretty bad. If you can hit it early on a Saturday morning. I think that will help. Later in the day will just have more cars. We were headed south on 75 but it was Labor Day weekend so they suspended construction. It was 9 am or so and we had no issues getting around. We came back the following Saturday and the construction on 75 south at 6 pm was BAD!!!

Hundred Acre, that is probably the best idea to hit it about 7:30 or 8. The good thing you won't have construction. I can't help too much on campgrounds, we have stayed in Valdosta and Ocala, not near Atlanta since that is home.

So anyway, any info on how bad the construction is south of Atlanta would be greatly appreciated. Also any good places to stay (Pet friendly hotel or RV park / good hotel around or just north of Birmingham) would be greatly appreciated on my side :-)

Bill

Bill,

It all depends on your definition of "just north". ::yes::

I live in the southern suburbs of Birmingham and on the north side it's a little sparce for a quality combination you are looking for.

For certain I know if you go about 70 miles north of Birmingham and get off at the exit JUST before the Tennessee River, you will have some luck. That's the city of Decatur and they have a city park called Point Mallard which has a wave pool, lots of picnic/park space, and a pretty decent pet-friendly campground (per the PDF rules link). That exit has hotels like a Comfort Inn and Days Inn and Point Mallard is not far away. It also has your typical fast food selection.

I was pleasantly surprised with the campground when I drove through it (we were camping on the north side of the river but came to Point Mallard for the wave pool).

http://www.pointmallardpark.com/camp-ground.php

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I live in Alpharetta, in the northern burbs. When we go, we get up at 3:00 AM and are out at 4:00. No traffic to speak of, no matter what day of the week.

I also commute 15 miles south to work each day and my husband works about a mile away. I leave the house at 4:30AM and get in at 4:50. He leaves at 7:30AM and arrives at 8:30 - 8:45. If you can do it, 4:00 AM seems to be a magic hour, traffic wise.

Good campground north of Atlanta: Harvest Moon in Adairsville (about 1 hour north of downtown).

As for the construction south of 285, how bad? I was PLANNING on heading through this Saturday morning.

Recently we have been travelling through Alabama, but with my parents in the RV for the trip, I have had a hard time finding a good campground just north of Birmingham with a good hotel near by (for my parents). Last time we just stayed in a hotel in Birmingham, but we have dogs, so that narrows the selection, and lets just say we didn't have a good time :-0.

Bill

Bill, if you ever come back through Birmingham, consider Oak Mountain State Park. Some sites have full hookup. It’s off I-65 just south of Birmingham. It’s a beautiful park. I don’t know your route, but maybe that’s an option. Campgrounds are not abundant around here.

Not quite a ghost post, but this one sucked me in from 2 1/2 years ago. No offense jdbbella. It's funny how topical this still is.

I wonder what route the OP took on this.

One question to Kris or Ed. Ian and I will be coming through ATL on Labor Day. Originally, we were going to leave iSTL n the early afternoon and planned on getting through ATL in the evening and stay in south GA somewhere. Now, I'm considering leaving in the morning and getting as close to Disney as we can. I'm thinking early afternoon on a holiday in ATL would be slightly better than evening on a holiday, but your thoughts?

j

The only benefit to a holiday is usually construction is suspended. If you are planning on actual Labor Day on Monday I say the earlier the better. You will get through before people decide to head back home.

If you are planning on actual Labor Day on Monday I say the earlier the better. You will get through before people decide to head back home.
That was my thinking too. Unfortunately, ATL is 8 hours drive time, 9 hours clock with the time zone. That means leaving here at 6am still puts me going through ATL between 3-4pm. Not sure if that time will be better or 8-9pm.

j

Asking Bert and we are like hmmm. I venture 8 or 9 might be better, but it’s atlanta. Noon would have been better :)

Not quite a ghost post, but this one sucked me in from 2 1/2 years ago. No offense jdbbella. It's funny how topical this still is.

I wonder what route the OP took on this.

One question to Kris or Ed. Ian and I will be coming through ATL on Labor Day. Originally, we were going to leave iSTL n the early afternoon and planned on getting through ATL in the evening and stay in south GA somewhere. Now, I'm considering leaving in the morning and getting as close to Disney as we can. I'm thinking early afternoon on a holiday in ATL would be slightly better than evening on a holiday, but your thoughts?

j

Lol - I guess I got sucked in too!

Just something you should think about if you're going through Atlanta on Labor Day Weekend. There are several events going on in that weekend, including Dragon Con which has gotten HUGE in the past few years. You might be better off taking I-285 around instead of I-75 straight through, or you may find yourself sharing the road with Stormtroopers, Spiderman, Klingons, zombies, and who knows what else.

Just something you should think about if you're going through Atlanta on Labor Day Weekend. There are several events going on in that weekend, including Dragon Con which has gotten HUGE in the past few years. You might be better off taking I-285 around instead of I-75 straight through, or you may find yourself sharing the road with Stormtroopers, Spiderman, Klingons, zombies, and who knows what else.

Oh - yes - that is true. It’s getting bigger and bigger each year. That and the SEC game that weekend will be a traffic nightmare. I’d definitely suggest taking I-285 around Atlanta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter