I-95 or I-81/I-77?

KStarfish82

Proud Redhead
We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for Orlando and we always have taken I-95 S. A friend recommended a more inland route I-81 to I-77 and then to I-95. I was wondering if anyone had traveled that route lately and could give advice/pointers.

We are coming from Long Island, NY...getting off the island is horrible no matter what way you go, so I want to try and avoid other areas of traffic.

Thanks!

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for Orlando and we always have taken I-95 S. A friend recommended a more inland route I-81 to I-77 and then to I-95. I was wondering if anyone had traveled that route lately and could give advice/pointers.

We are coming from Long Island, NY...getting off the island is horrible no matter what way you go, so I want to try and avoid other areas of traffic.

Thanks!

It's actually I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95. Just don't want you to miss a step :) What time would you be leaving? Also would you go out I-78 to I-81? By going out I-78 it would add about 100 miles to your trip, so anywhere between 90 min to 2 hours more. But you would also avoid the NJTP and possible traffic in Baltimore and of course the Beltway so it could be a break even or even a time saver. Do you plan on driving straight through or stop for the night and if so how long do you want to drive that first day?

There have been a few threads on this route here on the Transportation board, but I can't remember seeing any recently. I have done quite a bit of that drive from the Northeast down to Charlotte. Lots of places to stop along the inland route, most exits have places to get gas, eat, or stay the night.

It's actually I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95. Just don't want you to miss a step :) What time would you be leaving? Also would you go out I-78 to I-81? By going out I-78 it would add about 100 miles to your trip, so anywhere between 90 min to 2 hours more. But you would also avoid the NJTP and possible traffic in Baltimore and of course the Beltway so it could be a break even or even a time saver. Do you plan on driving straight through or stop for the night and if so how long do you want to drive that first day?

There have been a few threads on this route here on the Transportation board, but I can't remember seeing any recently. I have done quite a bit of that drive from the Northeast down to Charlotte. Lots of places to stop along the inland route, most exits have places to get gas, eat, or stay the night.

Driving straight through. Yes, I think we would take 78 going out that way. We will be leaving LI around 12-1 pm. I know that will put us around Baltimore/DC around rush hour, but I am hoping that because it is President's weekend, that many people will take off early and we can skirt some of it.

What do you suggest?

Driving straight through. Yes, I think we would take 78 going out that way. We will be leaving LI around 12-1 pm. I know that will put us around Baltimore/DC around rush hour, but I am hoping that because it is President's weekend, that many people will take off early and we can skirt some of it.

What do you suggest?
I would expect more traffic than less because of holiday weekend. yes getting off early but also heading somewhere trying to beat the traffic. living not far from 81 in Pa you can run into major backups if an accident as no major way around it.

I would expect more traffic than less because of holiday weekend. yes getting off early but also heading somewhere trying to beat the traffic. living not far from 81 in Pa you can run into major backups if an accident as no major way around it.

So do you recommend taking 81 or no?

So do you recommend taking 81 or no?
sometimes yes would be my answer but it would be day by day. I would check traffic that day before I would check the traffic area of WGAL on the internet before you head out. Also if you are going to need gas when you are near exit for rt 77 I would go past to exit 77 about 5 miles for gas and then head back to rt 77

There is never really much of a low traffic day in DC unless it's the OF the holiday like Christmas, Thanksgiving. It's usually moderate to heavy all the time. It trades with Los Angeles every now and then for the worst traffic in the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts