"I did (this) and it saved me hundreds (or thousands!)"

I have a great and active "Buy Nothing" group for my community. People offer up free items to keep or borrow. A lot of times I will think "I really wish I had x item". I will post a request for it and someone will give it to me. I've gotten a lot of kids clothes, kitchen and lawn items that way. I've also borrowed items like hedge trimmers and ear protection for a loud event for my son.

To cover all small, miscellaneous, day-to-day expenses that are not covered by other line items in my budget, I put myself on a $75/week allowance. That needs to cover everything from trips to Target for little stuff to a night out at the movies. It makes me really look at any purchase over $20, since it will mean I can't spend that money elsewhere during the week. When I'm out of money for the week, I'm out - anything else waits until the next week. It's amazing how often the urge to buy something passes by the next week! Meals out (except for pre-budgeted major occasions) also have to come out of that weekly allowance so it really helps me keep that to a minimum.

It's all just mind games, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Pick up a part time job.

Dh started refereeing soccer. The time he referees we are not aimlessly walking through Home Depot or any other store.

Money he makes refereeing pays for kid extracurricular activities, meals out for us, his lunches, haircuts for both of us, and out of pocket Disney expenses in the parks.

And yes, we do report it on taxes as extra income.

More of a general tip--always be vigilant on your spending. Never assume you have the cheapest insurance--check every 6 months or so. Never assume you have the rock-bottom price for produce--be open to finding new places to shop. Consider if you can repurpose something you own, instead of buying new (or even used).

Credit card points/use/churning for vacation. We paid next to nothing for flight and hotel for 10 days in Great Britain last month. We overbudgeted food and came back with enough to book another trip next year. We have flight covered buy may need to pay for a few nights of lodging.

We changed home/car insurance in June and was hit with a mid term rate increase from Travellers with no claims filed. I reshopped and actually will be saving $1700 a year by switching to allstate for the same exact coverage.

We needed a vehicle and was able to negotiate 20% off the cost plus we have full warranty for 100,000 miles or 10 years. Our payment is less than our last new car was in 2008, plus the interest rate is mega low.

I would double check on Allstate, read and reread the fine print, look at the natural disaster portion of the paper work. You might be surprised at whats not covered. If you need coverage, for flood areas, hurricanes, tornado, whatever the case may be where you live at. Double check and get clarification in writing. Our friends had a battle with them after one of the hurricanes.

I would double check on Allstate, read and reread the fine print, look at the natural disaster portion of the paper work. You might be surprised at whats not covered. If you need coverage, for flood areas, hurricanes, tornado, whatever the case may be where you live at. Double check and get clarification in writing. Our friends had a battle with them after one of the hurricanes.

I second this, but on the auto side. Allstate is horrible to deal with if you're ever in a serious auto accident with resulting medical bills and a legal claim.

Insurance shop around, bundle everything under one roof... with that said cheapest is not always best, figure out what coverage you need for everything,

absolutely, and beyond covering traditional 'losses' i'm evidence of where the few extra dollars a month for 'loss of use' is well worth it. think of how much lodging runs in your area (short term-motel/hotel, long term-renting) and how it would impact your budget if you had to pay for both your mortgage AND that lodging (b/c damage to a home doesn't take you off the hook for the payments). we were out of our home for just a couple of weeks due to covered weather related damage-still ran in the thousands for lodging, meals...even though we have the highest deductible our homeowner's permits it was still a drop in the bucket vs. paying it out of pocket (those who have been w/o homes for months during reconstruction will greatly support this). a good 'emergency fund' should at minimum have the amount of one's highest deductible.

Don't go crazy, one of our friends cut out dental, eye and prescriptions on his health insurance... and now they are waiting till he can re-enroll for next year, so he can go to the dentist

gosh yes-esp. with little ones. dd took a minor fall off a bike that when all was said and done racked up medical costs of over $60,000 in the first month alone. we had opted to pay more for an hmo and ended up a couple hundred out of pocket. my co-worker who always scoffed at those of us that paid the higher rate while he opted for the cheapest plan had a child who was diagnosed with an illness same month-$60,000 in bills within days and he was on the hook for 20% AFTER he met his high cost deductible.

Cable/ internet/ cord cutting.... Our friends did the cord cutting thing, and thought wow its so much cheaper until they realized that not everything was included that they needed then once that they got what they wanted and needed, it was more than the cable bill, and less reliable service... So know what you are getting into

also-if you even have the option of reverting to the old coverage. our contracts are so old with our providers they don't even offer them anymore as a neighbor who opted to 'cut the cord' found when his usage costs skyrocketed through a cheaper looking provider. he tried to go back to his old plan and found it hadn't been offered in years to 'new subscribers' (which if you cut service and want to reestablish you become).

I began to treat savings like any other bill. Instead of trying to cut costs and save what's leftover, I divided my annual savings goal by 12, added that to my list of bills and used whatever was left over for discretionary purchases.

::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

i've got 3 accounts that auto transfer from checking each month so i don't have to think about it or budget for it AFTER the fact-

'xmas'-it's actually for all bday/holiday gifts. a small amount adds up so that when birthdays, valentines day, easter and christmas roll around i don't have to find money in my regular monthly budget.

'reserve'-it's uses have changed now that my kids are older but i used to throw about $20 or so a month for back to school expenses and school expenses in general (field trips, book sale...). i'll agree though with someone else who posted about buying kid's clothes when they are on sale vs. needing it-i still do this with certain items. bathing suits sold off at 75% off 2 months ago in our area-that's when we bought next years, winter coats will start going on clearance in january-that's when my kids always got the ones for the next school year.

kid's shoes are a crapshoot on sizing/growth-those i NEVER tried to buy ahead of season, anything else i could eyeball what size they would need.

'savings'-true, actual savings that are there in an emergency or want.

Only have two credit cards, AmEx Blue and Barclay Arrival+ (no store CC). Use AmEx for groceries (6% back) and gas (3% back). Earn about $45-$60 a month in Blue Cash Awards. Everything else goes on Barclay for 2 point for every $1. Those accrued amounts go to pay the Disney vacation each year, and we're DVC.

I second this, but on the auto side. Allstate is horrible to deal with if you're ever in a serious auto accident with resulting medical bills and a legal claim.

Had a claim with Allstate and had no problem at all. Honestly took one phone call and that was it. Had a claim with Liberty Mutual and it was a nightmare. Had a claim against a Geico insured vehicle and it took over 10K in legal expenses and 3 court visits to clear it up.

Not in a hurricane/flood zone, no worries there.

Only have two credit cards, AmEx Blue and Barclay Arrival+ (no store CC). Use AmEx for groceries (6% back) and gas (3% back). Earn about $45-$60 a month in Blue Cash Awards. Everything else goes on Barclay for 2 point for every $1. Those accrued amounts go to pay the Disney vacation each year, and we're DVC.

we were this way for the longest time-just 2 cards, amex and our local credit union b/c amex is AWESOME for customer service and benefits (have used their double the warranty, travelers assistance and theft coverage-easy/fast, and they stand behind the customer like no other for disputes), and our credit union has one that charges no foreign transaction fees so it's our go to for travel. we ended up adding a few more though when i found out our insurance company offers a no fee w/triple points for any of their products (adds up w/home, auto, life, atv, dd's renters, umbrella...) so i just charge those and pay in full when the statement comes-was VERY surprised as well when a couple of large furniture purchases qualified as 'home improvements' and earned triple points as well (let the dollars pile up for the once a year vacation to an anime-con), AND i had to break down and get the one costco changed to after they split w/amex b/c again, double the warranty AND it makes electronics fall under their concierge program (sooooooooooooo much better to deal with than any of the computer manufacturers help desks). amazon was a no brainer-i've never used the physical card b/c i just use it on their site to earn what is essentially a 5% discount on my purchases.

but like you we earmark any accrued monies we get on the cards to offset vacation costs (and i refuse to pay for a credit card or ever again pay a penny of interest so they are paid in full every month).

My thing lately has been to stay out of Target. Since I have a Target Debit card, I get free shipping, so I have just been ordering what we need from Target.com instead of going to the store. This week we needed cat food. Normally I would have gone to Target to get cat food and would have spent $80 on cat plus a bunch of other random stuff. Instead I ordered cat food from Target.com and it was delivered to my door 3 days later and I only spent the cost of the cat food.

We started meal planning and shopping from a list. If it isn't on the list, we don't buy it (i.e., no extra snacks, no buying something just because it looks good, etc. If I need deodorant but didn't write it down, I still buy it). We make a list of 7 meals, look in the cabinets and see what ingredients we need to make them. We put a list of meals for the week on the fridge and choose from that. We do not eat out except for birthdays and anniversaries. No fast food runs. We all pack lunches for work/school.

Single mom here with 2 awesome kids. Have had to be frugal my whole life
1. Mostly shop at Aldi saves me up to 50% off other grocery stores.
2. Shop at SAMS for T.P, Paper towels, dog food, fresh fruit etc. Can not beat the prices.
3. Get out of debt. I have never had a lot, but do not make much so paying the amount off has been very hard.
4. Switched to Geico insr and save a ton
5. Cut cable
6. Running errands in batches to save money on gas.
7. Gas from SAMS is cheapest in town. Pays for my membership
8. Line drying all clothes except towels undies and socks. Saves energy and money electric bill
9. Level payment for Gas and electricity
10. Stay home!!!!!
11. Have an emergency fund. 6mos is recommended. I have 2 right now.
12. My car is paid off
13. Take my lunch to work everyday
14. We live in a small home which is perfect for our needs. Never wanted something bigger or better. Should be paid off in 5 years when I am 53.
15. You do not have to say yes to everything. Out to dinner with friends costs a lot by the time you pay a sitter. I have learned to say no to many things. I get tremendous enjoyment from volunteering at church. I keep busy that way.
16. Keeping a budget and dictating where every penny is spent.
17. stop eating out.
18. Be happy with what you have
19. My cleaning products are vinegar and water.
20. Just love the life you have been blessed with. Money is like water is comes and goes very quickly. The tank might never be full, but know that there are millions of others that are in the same boat you are.

It's not necessarily one particular company.

Everyone should be reading their Policy to see what is covered or isn't covered. It's also state specific too since insurance companies file through each state's Department of Insurance (DOI).

Without having any details it's not really clear what the issue was with your friends but I'm betting it's not as simple as presented.

My thing lately has been to stay out of Target. Since I have a Target Debit card, I get free shipping, so I have just been ordering what we need from Target.com instead of going to the store. This week we needed cat food. Normally I would have gone to Target to get cat food and would have spent $80 on cat plus a bunch of other random stuff. Instead I ordered cat food from Target.com and it was delivered to my door 3 days later and I only spent the cost of the cat food.
I ordered decorative plate hangers from Michaels yesterday with free same-day in-store pick up because they had a 40% coupon for online orders (regular priced items only). Walked in to pick it up and then thought "hmm I'll just glance around". Spent less than 5mins before deciding that if I didn't get out of there I might spend some $$$ so I just picked up my order and left lol.

We do online order in-store pick up for Petsmart too though we've been mixing it up with Amazon. There's not a huge amount of spur of the moment spending in Petsmart though for us :laughing:

That's a good plan on saving you some money you've got going on ::yes::

We have saved tons of money when buying a home/car, by just adding as much extra principal payment as we can at the beginning of a loan. Just for an example - print out an amortization schedule for your loan (easy to do online), and look how much each payment applies to principal and how much applies to interest. At the beginning of a loan VERY LITTLE applies to principal so count out how much you can make as "extra principal payment", add to your regular monthly payment, make sure to mark your check how much is extra principal payment. All those interest payments disappear for the months you included extra principal. This is WAY better than just making two payments at a time. Be sure your loan allows prepayment without a penalty. Paid off our first house in 10 years, car loans have been paid in less than two years. Also, this only work best when you are at the beginning of a loan.

These are great! I will definitely be checking out other insurance companies - and reading the fine print!

We already live pretty frugally - paid off cars, paid off the student loans after a lot of paring back, 20 yr mortgage, Straight Talk and keep phones for 4-5 years, etc.

The two things we did recently that have saved us a lot:

1. Shop at Aldi and go to Costco once every two weeks instead of weekly. We went from spending $800 a month on food and household items to about $400 - $500 depending on the month.

2. Cut the cord. When we moved to our new house it was not wired for cable; we bought an antenna and are finding we really don’t miss cable. For a one time cost of $37, we are saving $110 a month. (We do have Netflix and Prime). We may invest in a TiVo so that we have DVR again - I do miss no commercials!

Re: credit cards, I have a Southweat card and an Amazon card. I allow the Amazon rewards to accumulate all year and then use the points (usually around $300) towards Christmas gifts; the Southwest points have allowed us to fly free for trips we were going to take anyway to visit family and go to weddings.

Keep the ideas coming Disfriends!

It's not necessarily one particular company.

Everyone should be reading their Policy to see what is covered or isn't covered. It's also state specific too since insurance companies file through each state's Department of Insurance (DOI).

Without having any details it's not really clear what the issue was with your friends but I'm betting it's not as simple as presented.

So many people in our area were upset with insurance companies after Katrina. State Farm was the worst.

Knock on wood, we have had Allstate for 15 years with no issues.

We have made sure to have fire, wind and flood insurance.

Insurance companies are for big catastrophes, not small claims.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter