I don’t get the fascination with the wave !!!

The team has a different perspective than we do. Especially being at a resort, the Wave is more like a local restaurant to them. While most people only visit on vacation, they want all magic all the time. The Contemporary outside of the main lobby does get kind of bland and unmagical. It was supposed to be an ultra-modern experience, but the problem is that modern themes become outdated very quickly.

We went there for a nice dinner on our 25th anniversary and absolutely loved it. I know there are no windows or theming or any of that stuff but that is kind of what we were looking for for that dinner.

The food was outstanding and the hostess and server were over the top with the service. We will be at Disney in July for our 30th and although we had reservations that have since been cancelled, we will be trying to get in there once we are able to make reservations.

We went there for a nice dinner on our 25th anniversary and absolutely loved it. I know there are no windows or theming or any of that stuff but that is kind of what we were looking for for that dinner.

The food was outstanding and the hostess and server were over the top with the service. We will be at Disney in July for our 30th and although we had reservations that have since been cancelled, we will be trying to get in there once we are able to make reservations.
Glad you had a great time. Hope your able to go next month.
It just wasn’t my thing. Good for all of those who love it.

Glad you had a great time. Hope your able to go next month.
It just wasn’t my thing. Good for all of those who love it.

I suspect there are places at Disney each of us "don't get". I don't get CRT. I know "people eat there for the characters, not the food" but I call bull. No character experience short of the evil step sisters sending Cinderella to clean my house is worth eating that swill.

I agree with the OP. I had read so many awesome reviews, so maybe my expectations were too high. We went at Christmas time on arrival day for breakfast. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t anything special. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing. Not sure, maybe we need to try again in the future. I was hoping to like it more.

We had Christmas dinner there in 2010 so it's holds a special memory for me. A few years ago we had the buffet breakfast, which was delicious and very relaxing before a day in the parks, because it was mainly adults, sitting quietly - sometimes you just need that.

Been a few times, last for brunch. Service was very good, food was ok. However, the last time we went it was one of the noisiest restaurants we have ever been to at WDW. Several tables of large groups enjoying their mimosas! Don’t count on always having a peaceful and relaxing experience.

I love the wave. The sustainable fish dish which had been a salmon dish for awhile was something I had on 3 different trips. 201323BE-2731-4E40-9C5C-6B390F731AD3.jpeg

My experiences at the Wave is limited to meeting up with friends there for drinks and maybe having a small bite. I did try the bacon and eggs which I really enjoyed.

My experiences there have generally been positive.

The DU team just did another review. Bacon and eggs is still the star of the show and I agree.

Saw the show. Still not my thing. We liked to be immersed in Disney when I am there. Because we have few days there I want it in my face all the time while I am there. The Wave just isn’t our thing. Glad for those who love it.

Saw the show. Still not my thing. We liked to be immersed in Disney when I am there. Because we have few days there I want it in my face all the time while I am there. The Wave just isn’t our thing. Glad for those who love it.

We are similar - when I go to Disney our dining choices are often very driven by what are unique options vs just based on the food, etc. It doesn't have to be over the top "Disney" but it has to be something that is unlike what I can find around my home (so things like Si-Fi or 50s Prime Time or Cali Grill with the view or Sanaa, etc.).

We did eat at the Wave once and we enjoyed it but isn't a "must do" given that it didn't seem like something that could only be found at Disney

One thing I do agree with the team is the pricing there vs other options at WDW - and so when they are constantly eating at WDW restaurants I am sure a lot of the time the bill comes and the first thought often is probably "wow, that is high/not worth it (for the food)" - so to have a nice meal out and get the bill and find the price appropriate is probably a nice change of pace.

I recall when I wasn't local that we wanted to experience Disney in full force when dining. It was an experience that we couldn't get when living in NJ/PA or anywhere else we visited.

However, I think what appeals to us the most is that it doesn't have a strong presence of Disney. We prefer the reprieve and proximity to MK and the decor appeals to me. That being said, I think there are onsite dining options that lean a little bit more towards frequent guests (or locals) that don't want the level of immersion which appealed to us previously.

I think this is the type of thread that could be started for almost any restaurant on the property...or on the planet for that matter, lol.

I mean, nothing was more hyped than Be Our Guest for so long, and I fed into the hype and booked breakfast there just to see this marvel of Disney theming and magic in person.

I mean...maybe if I was ten years old I would have been more impressed. In fact, I'm sure I would have been. But 40 year old me was underwhelmed by the atmosphere and the food.

I tend to like eating outside at Disney. Casey's, Rose & Crown, Flame Tree...these are some of the best dining experiences I've had, and it's because the prettiest parts of Disney are almost always outside IMO. So no, the basement of the Contemporary (which is already pretty stark and boring IMO) would not be the place I'd go for an inspiring atmosphere.

I think we can all agree if it wasn't for the Bacon and Eggs dish constantly being raved about, the restaurant wouldn't be talked about as much
I wish I everyone would stop talking about it...before it turns into a hard to get ADR!

I recall when I wasn't local that we wanted to experience Disney in full force when dining. It was an experience that we couldn't get when living in NJ/PA or anywhere else we visited.

However, I think what appeals to us the most is that it doesn't have a strong presence of Disney. We prefer the reprieve and proximity to MK and the decor appeals to me. That being said, I think there are onsite dining options that lean a little bit more towards frequent guests (or locals) that don't want the level of immersion which appealed to us previously.
Great point by you.

I've heard nothing but raves by many DIS'rs whose opinions I respect. Raves for brunch and dinner. I haven't tried it yet prob because like most PPs mentioned I try to find a good balance between atmosphere and food quality when on a limited time vacation. But it is on my list for a future trip and excited to try. Probably dinner and the bacon and eggs appetizer is my priority. :thumbsup2

Curious what "over the top service" constitutes.
Can you tell us please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!