I guess we didn’t seem interested enough? on the DVC

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We went on the DVC tour 2 weeks ago. We really wanted to see the rooms, since we have done a lot of research on our own. We didn’t ask a lot of questions, but we had a few. I did ask our guide why we should buy direct versus resale. He answered honestly based on the research I have done. Overall it was no pressure, and we were in and out in time to make our ADR. I am surprised that no one has reached out to us since we have been home. I don’t know if I offended him with the resale question, he didn’t think we were serious, or if he is just that busy.

Due to the pending change that will require a minimum of 75 directly purchased points to qualify for Membership Extras, the DVC Guides are very busy. Reportedly, phones are ringing off the hooks. I suspect that Sales Management has called for "all hands on deck" to accommodate all those who want to ad on 25 direct points now to beat the 2/25 deadline.

My guess is that you will get a call in another couple of weeks or so. If you are ready to buy before then, best for you to call.

We did the tour in 2013, a few years before buying our points. Once we were done with the tour and all of our questions were answered, we left for our FP. We weren't ready and we were waiting for PVB. The guide didn't call us and once in a while we would get cards in the mail to invite us to come take another look. The kept stressing the low pressure sales, but if you are seriously looking at direct, it doesn't hurt to give them a call.

Why would you want pressure? We’re adults and can decide on our own. You got the info, you’re making your decisions. Be grateful you don’t have a car salesman bugging you.

Our guide would never have made the sale with us if he had called after our meeting. He sat back and waited. He was excellent.

Your guide should have told you that your deal was good for three days, that would have caused you to contact him if you were interested. Also they size up your interest and don't waste time on poor prospects, talking resale might have made him think that "why would you buy a higher priced direct contract if you know about resale".

:earsboy: Bill

Why would you want pressure? We’re adults and can decide on our own. You got the info, you’re making your decisions. Be grateful you don’t have a car salesman bugging you.

Our guide would never have made the sale with us if he had called after our meeting. He sat back and waited. He was excellent.

::yes::

Agreed!

For me - I have their number. No need to follow up - I'll call if I want to buy at a time that is convenient to me.

But each guide is different. Some will follow up. Some will pressure quite a bit (for Disney). And some will just back off and let you get back to them if you have a question or want to buy. They don't start adding on incentives so it really doesn't matter either way IMO.

Maybe the OP is looking for a short follow up call where the guide would offer to answer any additional questions since the presentation and I would be okay with such call. However, I certainly would be turned off by anyone calling to find out if I am ready to whip out my CC. Like many have already said, the deals are the same for everyone until the next promo or price increase, so if/when one is ready, he/she would just call to purchase. There is really no need to follow up unless one is requested, IMHO.

LAX

Last edited:
Even when I bought 15 years ago, I initiated all of the calls to my guide. She never contacted me. She didn't need to. I had the info packet, I called her a couple of times to ask questions, and I called her when I was ready to make the purchase. Honestly, I would have been turned off if she'd called to nag me.

My guide only calls if I have called him first. I will get an occasional email, but the amount of communication is just perfect for me.

Update - our guide emailed us yesterday. We told him our timeframe and that we would be paying cash, and he wasn’t thrilled with us. “Points will go up by then!” was his claim. My husband said we would take that risk and buy the number of points our cash will cover at that time. I’m guessing he gets a kickback for financing like car dealers do. But I guess the frenzy to buy add on points has died down now since he finally got back to us.

We went on two DVC tours before we ended up buying and neither time did we hear back from the guides other than getting a card in the mail like was mentioned previously. Disney sort of sales itself I would guess. Through our whole DVC tour/direct purchase process, we have met with three different guides and they have all been great and never once acted discouraged when we told them we would be paying cash. I really can't remember any of them giving us a lot of detail on the financing option other than the basics and that it could be financed through Disney if we didn't want to find a lender ourselves.

We went on two DVC tours before we ended up buying and neither time did we hear back from the guides other than getting a card in the mail like was mentioned previously. Disney sort of sales itself I would guess. Through our whole DVC tour/direct purchase process, we have met with three different guides and they have all been great and never once acted discouraged when we told them we would be paying cash. I really can't remember any of them giving us a lot of detail on the financing option other than the basics and that it could be financed through Disney if we didn't want to find a lender ourselves.
How far in advance do you need to let them know you are interested in a DVC tour? Can you just do it when you arrive on a 'not-so-busy' day, or should you notify them ahead of time before you arrive in Orlando?

How far in advance do you need to let them know you are interested in a DVC tour? Can you just do it when you arrive on a 'not-so-busy' day, or should you notify them ahead of time before you arrive in Orlando?

There is a DVC rep in the lobby of the resorts. The first tour we went on we were just walking by the desk in the Contemporary and stopped on a whim to ask them a couple questions and they booked us to meet with a guide about two hours later. The second one we booked before our trip. So, basically, they can be on a whim during your visit or you can schedule ahead of time.

there is no benefit to the guide of you financing or not.

As for follow up, they are required to follow up, but it’s not enforced.

Update - our guide emailed us yesterday. We told him our timeframe and that we would be paying cash, and he wasn’t thrilled with us. “Points will go up by then!” was his claim. My husband said we would take that risk and buy the number of points our cash will cover at that time. I’m guessing he gets a kickback for financing like car dealers do. But I guess the frenzy to buy add on points has died down now since he finally got back to us.
e is

DVC sells it'self. I have been on 2 or 3 other time share sales sits, talk about pressure. My DVC experience was awesome.

I was assigned a guide Celeste who has since retired . I never went on a tour before buying in the first time . I didn't know anything about DVC until I stayed at the Boardwalk Villas on cash for the first time. I saw info in the rooms but didn't bother to check it out as I didn't want any pressure when on vacation. Once I returned home after falling in love with the BWV, I called to request information and did everything ove rthe phone for my first two cash purchases.. I later was interesting in adding on at another monorail resort so booked stays in each one to get a feel for the places. Asked to see different rooms at each resort and was lucky to get someone willing to do it. I eventually decided it was easier to buy more at one resort then spread it out and then went resale route for the rest of my contracts. Having been stuck in high pressure timeshare sales , thi swas truly an exceptional experience. Do not hesitate to explore

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter