I just wish I had something to look forward to....

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
I think the main thing that's nagging at the back of my mind is the lack of things to look forward to right now. If the Chinese new year were applied to 2020, it would be "Year of the Cancellation." In a couple of weeks, I've had Miss Saigon, Hamilton, a domestic trip, and a Europe trip canceled. I know it's not just me and I know these are first world problems. But that's what's making me blue...nothing to plan (concretely), nothing to look forward to doing. Sigh. Today my 13-year old was like, OMG, I wish I was at Horseshoe Bay! (From our last Disney cruise.) And I was like, Me and you both, babe!

Start planning next year's vacations
Even that’s difficult for us. We have the EBTA 2021 booked, but will likely not sail if we’re still waiting on a vaccine. Although in generally good health, we’re in the age group that is more vulnerable and do have some well-controlled issues typical of folks our age.

Hugs! I understand the feeling. I feel bad for DD15... originally she was going to celebrate her 16th birthday in Kyoto while on a school trip to Japan... that got moved to next April. So I added her to our 'adult only' Disney world trip... booked the luau at the Poly for her birthday...and had lots of fun stuff planned. I just cancelled that trip today. Now her birthday will be at home while social distancing. The only good thing is her sister is home from college as her school switched to online classes.

I think the main thing that's nagging at the back of my mind is the lack of things to look forward to right now. If the Chinese new year were applied to 2020, it would be "Year of the Cancellation." In a couple of weeks, I've had Miss Saigon, Hamilton, a domestic trip, and a Europe trip canceled. I know it's not just me and I know these are first world problems. But that's what's making me blue...nothing to plan (concretely), nothing to look forward to doing. Sigh. Today my 13-year old was like, OMG, I wish I was at Horseshoe Bay! (From our last Disney cruise.) And I was like, Me and you both, babe!

Are you in Atlanta? Miss Saigon was cancelled at the fox theater and Hamilton was postponed. We only have tickets to Hamilton, though. We are having to cancel our May cruise on the fantasy, our summer vacation at watercolor and our 3 cruises on the dream in September are not looking good :(

We played Bob Marley and made Pina Coladas yesterday and say on our back porch and enjoyed them. It’s not much, but it brought a little fun to our quarantine. You should do the same.

I understand how you're feeling, I am feeling so sad because we have to cancel our EBTA in May and our plans to go to Rome after.
Here I am perfectly healthy and my family members are all healthy too, thank God, while there are very sick people in our Country and all around the world and all I can think about is my lost vacation, I feel so guilty.
Not knowing what tomorrow will be like for any of us, is just so sad and depressing.
I agree, when can we look forward to something good? When will there be light at the end of tunnel for all of us?

Look forward to spending time with your family. And to slowing things down.

There is a world now with less pollution and more care for the elderly. People are coming together from all parts of the world.

Before long, you will be back to the familiar race. Take this as the year of vacation from the vacations!

I look forward to the Magnolia tree in my backyard blooming. Waking up in the morning to a piping hot cup of coffee. And seeing my eight year old‘s smile. All I need.

^ 100%

We’ve probably all read the following at one time or another in our lives, but I’ll copy and paste it anyway. Just in case there’s someone out there that might benefit from it.

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes”

- Charles Swindoll

Nope, not feeling silver lining about now.

Working 12+ hours per day from home, plus all the cooking and cleaning, despite still not being able to breathe properly and getting winded just walking across the room.

As for “enjoying family” this is the soundtrack on repeat in my house all morning today “Turn off the TV/video games/tablet—no screen time until you do your school assignment.” “You’re mean, mom!!!!”

And “enjoying the outdoors” is out for me until allergy season is over.

And to cap it all today was my fastpass day for my park days after our cruise in May and Disney has now effectively blocked making fastpasses through May 31 so no fastpasse for us, but no cancellation either, so still in “Disney limbo.” I thought the silver lining would be this new free dining promo but priced it out and would be more expensive than just the room only discount for us.

Grrr...argh. I choose to feel grinch-y today and I won’t apologize for it ;)

I look forward to waking up healthy every morning with the rest of my family. That is the ONLY important thing right now. We've been self-isolating for 16 days so far and are under a new "stay at home" order until the end of April. We are choosing to be positive even tho we have plenty to be disappointed about (a cancelled WDW vacation, 3 cancelled cruises, a cancelled trip to visit with DH's 94yo father 6 states away, a cancelled trip to visit with our new grandson on the other side of the country, etc.). As a principal used to say every day on his morning announcements, "Make it a good day, or not. The choice is yours."

I look forward to waking up healthy every morning with the rest of my family. That is the ONLY important thing right now. We've been self-isolating for 16 days so far and are under a new "stay at home" order until the end of April. We are choosing to be positive even tho we have plenty to be disappointed about (a cancelled WDW vacation, 3 cancelled cruises, a cancelled trip to visit with DH's 94yo father 6 states away, a cancelled trip to visit with our new grandson on the other side of the country, etc.). As a principal used to say every day on his morning announcements, "Make it a good day, or not. The choice is yours."
I am so looking forward to a time when people can post a thread on Disboards about their genuine feelings without getting this kind of preachy response.

It's okay to grieve and feel all your feelings. Don't ever let anyone say that your feelings are any less valid because someone else has it worse or that it could be worse. It could always be worse. The moment we pull out our measuring tapes and start measuring up our problems (or lack thereof) or try to always see things through rose-colored glasses is the moment we invalidate what it means to have a heart that feels.

We need to process and grieve for everything that is lost in this time - and that includes loads of fun stuff we all had planned. It completely sucks and I feel you. I feel for the loss of these experiences and time to enjoy these escapes from the world with our families. These vacations are real with real moments that are IMPORTANT and as fans of these experiences, we know just how valuable they are and the value of what we are losing.

Yah sure, we can recognize some of the small bits of positivity that have come out of this, as others have mentioned above, and also wake up and be grateful that you're (currently) healthy and your family is safe. But also be gentle with yourself and let those feelings of grief and loss for our normal way of life come as they will.

Many of us are right there with you.

I am so looking forward to a time when people can post a thread on Disboards about their genuine feelings without getting this kind of preachy response.
But those are HER genuine feelings and those are valid too. Some people are feeling really depressed right now, some people are feeling angry, some are really anxious, and some are looking at the silver lining and being grateful for what they have - and ALL of those feelings and responses are okay and valid.

Nope, not feeling silver lining about now.

Working 12+ hours per day from home, plus all the cooking and cleaning, despite still not being able to breathe properly and getting winded just walking across the room.

As for “enjoying family” this is the soundtrack on repeat in my house all morning today “Turn off the TV/video games/tablet—no screen time until you do your school assignment.” “You’re mean, mom!!!!”

And “enjoying the outdoors” is out for me until allergy season is over.

And to cap it all today was my fastpass day for my park days after our cruise in May and Disney has now effectively blocked making fastpasses through May 31 so no fastpasse for us, but no cancellation either, so still in “Disney limbo.” I thought the silver lining would be this new free dining promo but priced it out and would be more expensive than just the room only discount for us.

Grrr...argh. I choose to feel grinch-y today and I won’t apologize for it ;)

You left out the part about how you try to make a nice dinner with what you have in the house. Everyone sits down and your kid says "I'm not eating that!" Every single freaking night!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

People have different ways of coping. We don’t need to snipe at each other about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter