I just wish I had something to look forward to....

You left out the part about how you try to make a nice dinner with what you have in the house. Everyone sits down and your kid says "I'm not eating that!" Every single freaking night!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!
Omg! This is exactly what happens in my house!

I think the main thing that's nagging at the back of my mind is the lack of things to look forward to right now. If the Chinese new year were applied to 2020, it would be "Year of the Cancellation." In a couple of weeks, I've had Miss Saigon, Hamilton, a domestic trip, and a Europe trip canceled. I know it's not just me and I know these are first world problems. But that's what's making me blue...nothing to plan (concretely), nothing to look forward to doing. Sigh. Today my 13-year old was like, OMG, I wish I was at Horseshoe Bay! (From our last Disney cruise.) And I was like, Me and you both, babe!
People in the 'first world' are dying.. there is no such denigration anymore as "first world problems". Being disheartened at a time when we are to be at our best to fight this thing off is important. I don't have answers, but I feel for you having all those cancellations. ☹ Do your best to keep up your spirits.

We, too have lost a lot of plans, not the least of which was to be able to visit grandma and grandpa this summer. No way I want to inadvertently bring this thing with me to them.

I feel ya, OP. My work conference this month was canceled, and while it might seem bizarre to be sad about missing out on a work conference there were old friends I looked forward to seeing. Instead, we visit each other on Animal Crossing now, LOL. I was going to attend a wedding in Italy in June, and of course there was our cruise in October.

For now, I'm trying to inject a little novelty into our lives in small ways. Cooking brand-new recipes, having family movie nights complete with popcorn and candy on the weekends. I gave my son a decent-ish haircut over the weekend. I'm no Vidal Sassoon but he likes his new look.

You left out the part about how you try to make a nice dinner with what you have in the house. Everyone sits down and your kid says "I'm not eating that!" Every single freaking night!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

This was a laugh out loud comment for me. This is every single day for us too!!!! Just last night they were complaining about having mashed potatoes as a side dish. Mashed... flippin.... potatoes. At least when I was kid, we whined to our parents about things that were truly gross... like cauliflower :crazy2:

This was a laugh out loud comment for me. This is every single day for us too!!!! Just last night they were complaining about having mashed potatoes as a side dish. Mashed... flippin.... potatoes. At least when I was kid, we whined to our parents about things that were truly gross... like cauliflower :crazy2:

I went to our grocery store a few weeks ago. The fresh produce aisle was completely sold out of EVERYTHING except for a section with a ton of broccoli. I thought it was really funny. My dd luckily does like broccoli. My kid doesn't like mashed potatoes either, which I find odd! I like cauliflower, but I'm sorry, in no way is it even remotely good as a pizza crust or as a replacement for mashed potatoes!!(And no amount of butter or gravy makes it taste good)

I am so looking forward to a time when people can post a thread on Disboards about their genuine feelings without getting this kind of preachy response.

I was reading through this thread but this reply really stopped me in my tracks. We are all having difficulties right now. Whether it’s a cancelled trip, kids driving you crazy, boredom, or trying to turn things into positive speak, we are all entitled to feel and react to those feelings in the way that fits us best. That, in my opinion, was not being preachy, it’s sharing how they felt.

I heard one of our Health Ministers say the other day that we can all think of this as terrible BUT we can also think that isolating ourselves is helping to prevent this disease from spreading and hurting or possibly killing our families. This is going to go away....hopefully sooner rather than later. Being dead will not. We can’t bring back people we lose.

Our grandparents and parents were asked to go and fight in trenches. We are being asked to stay home and watch tv or play games. Perhaps work. Sad and depressing but some people want to try to count their blessings in a positive way.

I, for one, sometimes feel really down. I can’t see my grandchildren. Will miss my grandson’s fourth birthday. Today is my son’s birthday. We took cupcakes, left them on the porch, he came and got them and we sang our hearts out. It hurts to not hug him but he is healthy with his children by his side and I saw him. Whether through FaceTime or in person, it all counts. We are blessed with technology.

Let’s all try to not put down other people’s feelings but take them for what they are - THEIR feelings. THEIR way of coping.

And mostly, let’s wish everyone good health and to stay safe.

I am not trying to preach anything to anyone other than to be kind through this.

Researching areas of the world and planning trips is, literally, my hobby. Every year we pick one new place in the world to visit, do a ton of research and plot and plan our trip. About 4 weeks ago, while watching my DS12 play, what would be, probably his last basketball game for a good long while, it hit me that everything I planned for this year would probably have to be cancelled and I think I actually went through some type of grieving process. I've definitely gotten through it and our days now are made up of digging through closets, finding old games we haven't played for ages, cleaning, baking, cooking, isolating and going online hoping I can snag a delivery spot from a grocery store and praying we will get through this at some point, alive, and return to some sense of normalcy. I never thought in a million years that one of the things I would look forward to the most is simply walking into our local grocery store, saying hello to the people who work there who've I've known for so long, browsing the aisles and buying my DS12's favorite ice cream. I never realized what a privilege it was to do, what appeared to be, such everyday things. I, of course, would love to travel again one day, but for now, if DS12 could just go back to school, play with his friends and eat his favorite ice cream, I would be so happy! Here's hoping all on here get through this safe and well.

People in the 'first world' are dying.. there is no such denigration anymore as "first world problems". Being disheartened at a time when we are to be at our best to fight this thing off is important. I don't have answers, but I feel for you having all those cancellations. ☹ Do your best to keep up your spirits.

We, too have lost a lot of plans, not the least of which was to be able to visit grandma and grandpa this summer. No way I want to inadvertently bring this thing with me to them.

yea I’m supposed to go see my grandma this summer and now... it’s extra sad because this is probably the last chance to see her while she still knows who I am.

Regardless of social distancing, I've always planned trips when I am bored. From Disney Around the World, a plan to sail all 4 DCL ships in as little time as possible, or just a weekend trip to a new city. Some are dream trips, some are doable. Looking for the perfect flight schedule, hotels, activities, keeps me occupied.

Currently done with planning my August trip, but now working out the back up plan in case cruising is still out by then.

Researching areas of the world and planning trips is, literally, my hobby. Every year we pick one new place in the world to visit, do a ton of research and plot and plan our trip. About 4 weeks ago, while watching my DS12 play, what would be, probably his last basketball game for a good long while, it hit me that everything I planned for this year would probably have to be cancelled and I think I actually went through some type of grieving process. I've definitely gotten through it and our days now are made up of digging through closets, finding old games we haven't played for ages, cleaning, baking, cooking, isolating and going online hoping I can snag a delivery spot from a grocery store and praying we will get through this at some point, alive, and return to some sense of normalcy. I never thought in a million years that one of the things I would look forward to the most is simply walking into our local grocery store, saying hello to the people who work there who've I've known for so long, browsing the aisles and buying my DS12's favorite ice cream. I never realized what a privilege it was to do, what appeared to be, such everyday things. I, of course, would love to travel again one day, but for now, if DS12 could just go back to school, play with his friends and eat his favorite ice cream, I would be so happy! Here's hoping all on here get through this safe and well.
Our grocery store is booking 2 weeks in advance for pick up. They don't even have everything I would want on their selection list, so I have to go in to the store. :(

I hear you OP. This is hard. Some days I am ok. Some days I am not. My dad is in a nursing home and I have not seen him in more than a month. Will he even remember me? I hope so. My daughter's college graduation and our trip to celebrate it. My first trip to Europe. All the plans. All cancelled or on hold. With no real firm end date or answers and no way of knowing how this looks when it is over... What I do know that is I am grateful my family-my kids are tucked safe at home with me. That lots of people are doing the best they can under some of the worst of circumstances. That we, as a world, a society, are all in this together, as the human race. There is no where to run or hide. We will get through this and hopefully go back to a place where the plans we make can be realized again. We just need to hold on to each other right now, tight. Well... from six feet away. You know what I mean ❤

Last edited:
Today was the first full day of online school for us. My daughter has had her iPad taken away and she is in her room, because she decided to throw the iPad.

The school software is in full blown meltdown because it was never intended to have 4000 students trying to access video content at once on the system. Insufficient capability.

Today was the first full day of online school for us. My daughter has had her iPad taken away and she is in her room, because she decided to throw the iPad.

The school software is in full blown meltdown because it was never intended to have 4000 students trying to access video content at once on the system. Insufficient capability.

Good luck!! Thankfully my dd's middle school gives all the kids a Chromebook at the beginning of the school year to do most of their work on. Her teachers have posted assignments on Canvas since the beginning of the year also, so that hasn't been a hard adjustment for her. What has been difficult is her dad and I trying to figure out how to help her with her math(stupid common core). I told my dh all these kids will go back to school doing their math the old fashion way their parents learned it. We just finished 2 weeks of at home school and are Spring break now, thank goodness!

Last edited:
Good luck!! Thankfully my dd's middle school gives all the kids a Chromebook at the beginning of the school year to do most of their work on. Her teachers have posted assignments on Canvas since the beginning of the year also, so that hasn't been a hard adjustment for her. What has been difficult is her dad and I trying to figure out how to help her with her math(stupid common core). I told my dh all these kids will go back to school doing their math the old fashion way their parents learned it. We just finished 2 weeks of at home school and are Spring break now, thank goodness!
Umm, yes to this! I printed out some math worksheets for my daughter who's in grade 4 - some easy multiplication and 3-digit addition. I found out that she does not know how to carry the 1 when she's doing addition and she doesn't even know what a times table is! :scared1: So I showed her how to carry the 1 (and she said "Wow, this is so much easier!") and I printed off a times table that we're now going to fill out together and have her start working to memorize!

Umm, yes to this! I printed out some math worksheets for my daughter who's in grade 4 - some easy multiplication and 3-digit addition. I found out that she does not know how to carry the 1 when she's doing addition and she doesn't even know what a times table is! :scared1: So I showed her how to carry the 1 (and she said "Wow, this is so much easier!") and I printed off a times table that we're now going to fill out together and have her start working to memorize!

My dd doesn't know her multiplication facts very well either. We did flashcards with her every night, but she just can't get some of them. Her teacher let's them use calculators this year. I told her that I'm her teacher now and she's going to do the work with a paper and pencil first. She can use a calculator afterwards to see if she got the correct answer. And carry the one apparently is soooooo old school. It's now called re-grouping or some odd term like that.

yea I’m supposed to go see my grandma this summer and now... it’s extra sad because this is probably the last chance to see her while she still knows who I am.

I have a similar situation with my dad. He's currently receiving hospice care. When the time comes to say goodbye, will I even be able to go do that? I hope so...

Our grocery store is booking 2 weeks in advance for pick up. They don't even have everything I would want on their selection list, so I have to go in to the store. :(

Oh no. It's so scary. I am able to get deliveries, but it's catch as catch can. I fill up my online cart and then refresh, refresh, refresh to get a delivery time. While I'm doing this, I constantly see items I've put in my cart disappear because they have run out of stock while I'm trying to secure a time. When I finally get a time, I click on it as fast as I can and they deliver whatever still remained in my cart once I got through. Sometimes I don't even know what went through and what didn't and I always tell them to please substitute if need be. I just tell my family, we get what we get and we must be grateful and make do with whatever it is. I know thousands/millions of others are in the same boat. I think one of the things I am grateful for is all the recipes that are online now - you can literally find anything! Last night, I had some chicken thighs, Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. I searched for the three in google and a recipe came up specifically for those ingredients and it was really good! But basic things - sugar, corn meal, yeast - I'm having trouble finding :(

I totally sympathize with the original poster. I knew intellectually that our cruise the last week of April wasn’t going to happen, but part of me was holding out hope. In the supermarket this morning (because I thought it would be emptier on a Monday than Sunday which is when I usually go), my husband texted me to tell me our cruise was officially canceled. I almost wanted to cry. We booked it 14 months ago and I was so looking forward to it.

Our 20th anniversary weekend had to be canceled as well. My son didn’t get to finish his first year or college, my daughter didn’t get to compete in the state gymnastics tournament and the spring play my son was I had to be canceled as well. It just feels like so much has been taken away. I know everyone has lost something and some have lost even more than we have.

it is easier to mourn a lost vacation than to think about what all of this means for our way of life. It feels like right after 9/11 when so much changed so fast.

it is easier to mourn a lost vacation than to think about what all of this means for our way of life.

This really resonated with me. We finally pulled the plug and rebooked our late-May vacation to August today, because it just didn't seem like a park opening was going to happen in time, and if it did, we'd have no fastpasses due to them cutting them off for the end of May. But it kind of was a double-whammy because the "our way of life is changing" part crept in because we realized that the former price tag of our original vacation was really not in budget any more, so we made a LOT of cuts. I tried to keep upbeat for the kiddos, but when my 8-year old son saw us cancel everything we'd booked for Hollywood Studios day he cried out "I can't look" and ran off. Made me feel really bad. Still, can't argue with the fact we are still getting a disney vacation, and are lucky to have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter