I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren’t worried about the financial side of getting an attorney. It’s more that we don’t know when we’ll actually be able to go out and meet with one. We would rather get things going and started if possible. The legalzoom packages come with 1 year of professional help so Dh thinks that should work similar to having an attorney. What do you think?

I believe the last will package is $279 that comes with living wills and POAs

We used an attorney that was included with DH's work benefits, and they one we chose let us meet on Skype, so that is what we did. Didn't have to go in at all, although at the end we had to go and sign it all with a notary, etc. Honestly we now have a far better and more comprehensive set of documents than we did when we used an online service, and I feel like we should have done it years ago.

Univ of Washington has projections on when each state will peak. Virginia’s peak is projected to be May 17, so perhaps that’s why Northam announced a June date. I was surprised as well, but he can always pull back if things change for the better.
Oh goodness. Now it says May 28. I wonder why VA is peaking so much later than most states.

Here's the site referenced for those interested:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

so...would you know if a cruise booking paid with UR - are cancel rules whatever the cruiseline policy is?Or does the portal have its own policy? DO you know if I'm supposed to be able to view mu trip on my UR portal page,like I can see a hotel?
The cancellation policy should be the same as the cruise line, there wasn't any extra fees or penalties from the agency. I don't believe you'll see the reservation in the online portal since it's a different company still doing the cruises than the hotels, flights etc. Expedia runs the online portal but Connexions does the cruises.

What you should have is the cruise line reservation/booking number that you can look up on the cruise line website. Somewhere in the email confirmation from Chase there is a section for the cruise details. My last email showed the vendor name and next to that field was "Confirmation/Booking#" that had my NCL reservation number. You can take that number and look it up or setup an online account with the cruise line. From there you can manage some aspects of your cruise. Normally cancellation would need to be handled by the TA (Chase travel) but depending on when you are going the cruise line may be making exceptions to work directly with you.

Oh goodness. Now it says May 28. I wonder why VA is peaking so much later than most states.

Here's the site referenced for those interested:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

I'm not quite getting this projection.

But right now, Maryland is higher than Virginia in number of cases and number of deaths, yet in August it is showing Maryland as having 1700 deaths projected and Virginia with 1897 projected deaths.

Also, it's showing Virginia with more hospital bed resources. And less need for those resources.

Maryland's peak is May 1. Virginia peak May 28.

Not understanding this.

I'm not quite getting this projection.

But right now, Maryland is higher than Virginia in number of cases and number of deaths, yet in August it is showing Maryland as having 1700 deaths projected and Virginia with 1897 projected deaths.

Also, it's showing Virginia with more hospital bed resources. And less need for those resources.

Maryland's peak is May 1. Virginia peak May 28.

Not understanding this.
I don't get it either. Why the heck is VA peaking so late? But I know there are complex mathematical models behind it.

I don't get it either. Why the heck is VA peaking so late? But I know there are complex mathematical models behind it.

Okay ...maybe this is it. Your current known resources - regular hospital beds, and ICU beds are higher. You 'peak' once you've used all your resources? Going through the states, resources with regard to available hospital beds are definitely disproportionate with regard to population.

After looking at the these numbers, the laissez faire attitude seen by some can be somewhat understood. They are not seeing the panic in their states quite as intensely as someone 'living this nightmare' in California or New York. They have a certain false sense of security. Like 'it's not happening here, it's not going to affect me.'

And, although Florida has a huge number of beds and resources, with a population that has 25% in the over 60 category, they have a proportionately higher projection of deaths by August - close to 6000 versus Md and Va 1700-1900.

One of the keys is the number of ventilators needed. The other is population numbers. I didn't realize that Florida was the 3rd most populous state after California and Texas.
People are jammed in in Florida. DC, Md and Va (over 15 million), altogether have less people then Florida (over 21 million).

Can you get away from this virus? Yes. For a while. The thing is can we stay away from it until it has a cure or until it burns itself out. Right now, the best chance of beating it is not to contract it. Stay home.

This morning I stayed in bed longer. Didn't feel like getting out. Cuddled up a bit until I figured out it felt somewhat cooler than normal.

So I got up and pushed the buttons to make it warmer and noticed it said 64. Since I keep it at 68, I knew something was wrong.

Down to the basement, removed the filter and changed in a new one - the one I took out was pretty dirty - and reset the furnace. Came right on, and I'm guessing it was my filter being dirty, but I will have to call the 'guy' and get it checked out. Hopefully it was just my negligence and all is well. Need to pick up another batch of filters as that was the last one. My furnace is gas high efficiency and pretty new.

Okay ...maybe this is it. Your current known resources - regular hospital beds, and ICU beds are higher. You 'peak' once you've used all your resources? Going through the states, resources with regard to available hospital beds are definitely disproportionate with regard to population.

After looking at the these numbers, the laissez faire attitude seen by some can be somewhat understood. They are not seeing the panic in their states quite as intensely as someone 'living this nightmare' in California or New York. They have a certain false sense of security. Like 'it's not happening here, it's not going to affect me.'

And, although Florida has a huge number of beds and resources, with a population that has 25% in the over 60 category, they have a proportionately higher projection of deaths by August - close to 6000 versus Md and Va 1700-1900.

One of the keys is the number of ventilators needed. The other is population numbers. I didn't realize that Florida was the 3rd most populous state after California and Texas.
People are jammed in in Florida. DC, Md and Va (over 15 million), altogether have less people then Florida (over 21 million).

Can you get away from this virus? Yes. For a while. The thing is can we stay away from it until it has a cure or until it burns itself out. Right now, the best chance of beating it is not to contract it. Stay home.
Well said....spoke with a friend who’s in PA...they are having the same issues as FL with people coming from NY and NJ

Well said....spoke with a friend who’s in PA...they are having the same issues as FL with people coming from NY And NJ

I've started to work my way through the list of states. Colorado looks bad. Disproportionately high Bed shortage and high need for ventilators. That's assuming that you need hospitalization and need a ventilator.

I'm obviously looking at this in a very simplistic way. But I will say that some of these statistics are eye opening.

Hindsight: If I had all the information I have today in my mind when I decided to head to South Carolina 2 weeks ago - March 15th - I would have seen it as very fool hardy to make the trip. So far no symptoms from any of us.

What a difference 2 weeks makes.

The cancellation policy should be the same as the cruise line, there wasn't any extra fees or penalties from the agency. I don't believe you'll see the reservation in the online portal since it's a different company still doing the cruises than the hotels, flights etc. Expedia runs the online portal but Connexions does the cruises.

What you should have is the cruise line reservation/booking number that you can look up on the cruise line website. Somewhere in the email confirmation from Chase there is a section for the cruise details. My last email showed the vendor name and next to that field was "Confirmation/Booking#" that had my NCL reservation number. You can take that number and look it up or setup an online account with the cruise line. From there you can manage some aspects of your cruise. Normally cancellation would need to be handled by the TA (Chase travel) but depending on when you are going the cruise line may be making exceptions to work directly with you.
thank you! I'm going to get out my magnifying glass now!

I see DoC is reporting mileage refunds for United flights up through May 31. Our tickets straddle that date (flight home isn’t until June). I don’t know whether to go for the cancel now or wait. I don’t want to miss my only chance if they’re going to change this policy yet again tomorrow. This company is nuts. My brother works for a company that, shall we say, does a lot of work for United. He’d agree I’m sure. :crazy:
I was so glad to read this last night! I've got a mid-May flight booked on miles for dd's canceled internship.

Looked at the virus projections from havaneselovers post. PA is projected to hit 'peak resource use' on April 16. No shortage of hospital or ICU beds, says 721 ventilators needed but not how many are available now. We have a large hospital system in the Pittsburgh area. I agree with judique that it can help explain why some folks are not in panic state. While we in SW PA are under stay at home orders, Allegheny county had 290 cases and 2 deaths last I heard, with some also in surrounding counties, but I don't think testing is widespread here.

On the other hand, New York numbers are truly scary.

Last edited:
I tried cancelling our United flights online this morning but got the message that our tickets required special assistance and to call. But it did say no fee to redeposit miles.

DH has a United flight in May booked with URs through Chase. They changed it and he would like to cancel, but has not gotten through on the phone to see if he can get the URs back or what his options are, and the phone message says don't stay on hold unless your travel is within 7 days.

I tried cancelling our United flights online this morning but got the message that our tickets required special assistance and to call. But it did say no fee to redeposit miles.
United is having all kinds of issues. I saw that they were finally doing award travel refunds, and it reminded me that I hadn't seen mine (changed my April award flight to a December trip that was fewer miles, should have gotten 80k miles back). I called yesterday, and after being on hold forever, I talk to a rep. She puts me on hold (again forever) then comes back and says she has taken care of it. I check my account after I hung up - she cancelled the new trip that was fewer miles (my Costa Rica flight). So all the miles from the original flight were back in my account, but my new trip had gone poof. Fortunately I was able to re-book the new flight, so I have the flight and my 80k extra miles now.

Then I check on DH's account (had booked our flight out on my account, the flight home on his account for both trips) and it says I need to call because the itinerary has changed for my new Costa Rica flight. I had been able to change the flights online for my account, but had to call and talk to a rep last week to change the other leg. I had been told that the new flights were all set, and they showed up in our United accounts. I get on the phone again, and this time the rep says these flights have not yet been ticketed. They are more expensive than the original flight was, and he needs another 40k miles to ticket the flights. I said that I talked to a rep last week and she said the new flights were all set, no mention of more miles needed. He goes away, comes back and says he has ticketed the new flights. So I think I'm all set for CR in December, but I thought that last week and it was a big lie.

Moral of the story - double, triple, quadruple check everything United tells you and keep checking periodically- they are a mess right now.

I think I'm giving up on visiting my parents in Naples for Mother's Day. I just can't take the risk of getting them sick. I guess that extra week of vacation time can go toward a July/August visit in Northern Michigan. Maybe I'll drive since I now have a second driver. DS will fuss because we'd take DD's civic (my Odyssey has too many miles on it for me to want to take it on an 1,800 + mile round trip).

Still don't think I'll know anything about Alaska until May at the earliest (unless Canada further closes Vancouver).

How long do you all think it's going to take for the Cruise industry to recover? For those of you with cancelled cruises, are you ready to cruise as soon as possible or will your wait a little while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!