I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you’re up to speed on Chase biz card issues. If not, be aware that the odds of getting a sole prop approved for a CIC are virtually nonexistent right now 😔

CSP is a good move... I assume you know that you’re eligible for a Sapphire bonus (48 mo rule). Are you giving any consideration to a MDD?

Yes, I figure I have a .000001 chance of an approval on a CIC. I am wondering if they will switch my CIU into a CIC for me if I ask? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've never had a Sapphire - yet. No MDD - the use I have in mind is fairly limited and with a $550 fee, for 50K points, even with the $300, I have other cards I want to feed a little and the value is just not there for me. My spend is just so limited. My one big purchase - the fridge - went on my Citi because of extra warranty - a total of five years, plus .04 back between the Citi and the Costco executive card.

In addition to spend being limited, travel is limited right now and I don't fly, I drive most places in a car that gets me 50 miles per gallon give or take. (I will fly if necessary, but won't love it.)

And, Amex has sealed up some spend with Staples offers, Shoprite offers, plus Marriott's 10 points on gas, restaurants and Marriott hotels until Oct 31, which are spread over my 3 Amex Marriott cards plus 1 AU card since once I added them to each card, they didn't go away because each card has a different earning structure, even though they all add up to 10 points. Plus the small business offers on several cards for the 'little' spends. And the extra 5% on my Gold card in addition to the usual 4 MR's at grocery stores. This is the most generous I've seen for Marriott earning, outside of SUB's.

All that little stuff adds up and Amex was smart to push it out there. Chase offers have been mostly cellphone plans, home security plans. Nothing much.

Yes, I figure I have a .000001 chance of an approval on a CIC. I am wondering if they will switch my CIU into a CIC for me if I ask? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've never had a Sapphire - yet. No MDD - the use I have in mind is fairly limited and with a $550 fee, for 50K points, even with the $300, I have other cards I want to feed a little and the value is just not there for me. My spend is just so limited. My one big purchase - the fridge - went on my Citi because of extra warranty - a total of five years, plus .04 back between the Citi and the Costco executive card.

In addition to spend being limited, travel is limited right now and I don't fly, I drive most places in a car that gets me 50 miles per gallon give or take. (I will fly if necessary, but won't love it.)

And, Amex has sealed up some spend with Staples offers, Shoprite offers, plus Marriott's 10 points on gas, restaurants and Marriott hotels until Oct 31, which are spread over my 3 Amex Marriott cards plus 1 AU card since once I added them to each card, they didn't go away because each card has a different earning structure, even though they all add up to 10 points. Plus the small business offers on several cards for the 'little' spends. And the extra 5% on my Gold card in addition to the usual 4 MR's at grocery stores. This is the most generous I've seen for Marriott earning, outside of SUB's.

All that little stuff adds up and Amex was smart to push it out there. Chase offers have been mostly cellphone plans, home security plans. Nothing much.
Wait, what is this extra 5x on grocery on the Gold? Did I miss an offer?

ETA: looks like I only have a lame $5 credit on $50 for 2 transactions. So $10

Last edited:
Wait, what is this extra 5x on grocery on the Gold? Did I miss an offer?

ETA: looks like I only have a lame $5 credit on $50 for 2 transactions. So $10

I have a 5% up to $10 at grocery on my gold. Works for me at Aldi - so get 4 MR plus $2 on my $40 that I usually spend when I go there. It will work for $200 or maybe 5-6 store visits.

I also have the $5 off $50 twice at superstores - or Target and Walmart. Just noticed I'd added that.

How about a fun future travel dreams discussion:

Now that most of us either can't or won't travel outside of the US, how many of us are planning for when they can? What are you planning for and how will you make it happen?

When we went to Antarctica for my 50th I figured it was a one and done kind of trip. Ideally, I would have loved to have visited South Georgia and the Falklands but the time and money that would have required was not in the cards. Well, now I've decided to try and make that trip a reality. So my next batspit crazy scheme is to do it and pay for it with points. Currently there is a partnership between Hyatt and Lindblad. It is possible to book that trip with Hyatt points. It starts at an insane $25,750 per person. I'd also need over 3.2 million Hyatt points on the low end of the current pricing to cover both of us. The value works out to 1.6 cpp on those Hyatt points for the trip. Fortunately, Chase is a UR Hyatt partner and offers significantly higher bonus categories across various cards to earn at URs a faster rate than putting spend on a Hyatt card. So that's the new bucket list goal for me now that I have a whole lot of nothing to plan LOL

So what's on your bucket list?

Now that most of us either can't or won't travel outside of the US, how many of us are planning for when they can? What are you planning for and how will you make it happen?

When we went to Antarctica for my 50th I figured it was a one and done kind of trip. Ideally, I would have loved to have visited South Georgia and the Falklands but the time and money that would have required was not in the cards. Well, now I've decided to try and make that trip a reality. So my next batspit crazy scheme is to do it and pay for it with points. Currently there is a partnership between Hyatt and Lindblad. It is possible to book that trip with Hyatt points. It starts at an insane $25,750 per person. I'd also need over 3.2 million Hyatt points on the low end of the current pricing to cover both of us. The value works out to 1.6 cpp on those Hyatt points for the trip. Fortunately, Chase is a UR Hyatt partner and offers significantly higher bonus categories across various cards to earn at URs a faster rate than putting spend on a Hyatt card. So that's the new bucket list goal for me now that I have a whole lot of nothing to plan LOL

That sounds amazing. I'd like to take an Adriatic cruise on Viking someday, maybe visit Japan, definitely get back to Norway and Iceland and Scotland, and also visit some US National Parks. For the first, we have enough points for the flights, but would have to pay for the cruise, but Japan could be done mostly on points. I'm not actively planning anything since canceling this summer's trip made me so sad that I don't want to go through that again.

That sounds amazing. I'd like to take an Adriatic cruise on Viking someday, maybe visit Japan, definitely get back to Norway and Iceland and Scotland, and also visit some US National Parks. For the first, we have enough points for the flights, but would have to pay for the cruise, but Japan could be done mostly on points. I'm not actively planning anything since canceling this summer's trip made me so sad that I don't want to go through that again.

I understand how you feel. I’m not actively planning anything either and for the same reasons. This idea is a bit far fetched and would require so many points. It seems like a goal that will take a long enough time to attain and keep me focused on something to look forward to that I can’t book yet and therefore can’t cancel yet either.

To get my missed COVID Australia back on the books. But that is looking more like 2022 at this point with DH planning to retire next year and who knows when Australia will reopen. If we can just get to HI in Dec, I am going to consider that a win.

FINALLY got my UR's back from my cancelled Delta flight from over 2 months ago, for our "the trip is no more" Hawaii anniversary trip. AA is never gonna cancel or change my mind so I am going to have to bite the bullet and just cancel for a credit :-(
You reminded me I still am missing my AA points for our canceled internal flights In Australia. I guess I need to make that call tomorrow.

Last edited:

I think I shared this one before. Was supposed to go to Paris for my 40th birthday next year and visit DLP. We've accepted that isn't going to happen so we are going to take the kids to Rushmore while we can. Now with the new DisneyLand London aiming for a 2023 opening we are looking at a 10 day to two week trip. Fly to London, one day at DL London, a couple days sightseeing and then take the train to Paris. I want to go to Normandy, I want to see many things in Paris and I want to stay at Avenger's Tower at DLP. Really hoping that we can accumulate and save enough points to go D1 on DL there and back.

I think I shared this one before. Was supposed to go to Paris for my 40th birthday next year and visit DLP. We've accepted that isn't going to happen so we are going to take the kids to Rushmore while we can. Now with the new DisneyLand London aiming for a 2023 opening we are looking at a 10 day to two week trip. Fly to London, one day at DL London, a couple days sightseeing and then take the train to Paris. I want to go to Normandy, I want to see many things in Paris and I want to stay at Avenger's Tower at DLP. Really hoping that we can accumulate and save enough points to go D1 on DL there and back.

You had me scrambling to Google there with your DisneyLand London comment.......... I was like 'How do I not know that Disney is opening in London?'. I can see DisneyLand London is a nickname, but nothing to do with Disney at all. Could be interesting to see how the plans for the park develop though.

According to this June article, it looks like more of an early 2024 opening- https://www.timeout.com/london/news...heme-park-the-uks-answer-to-disneyland-060820

It'll show up as an inquiry on your credit report. Do you have Credit Karma or the free Equifax, Experian accounts?

Probably you can try again for the Capital One next month. Sounds like they don't count the app attempt at <6 months. The info at the end about freezing Experian is out of date (don't do that :)).

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-tightens-churning-rules/
I think Dh will try again for the capital one in a month. I got two cards in March so I’m thinking about applying for the Amex blue cash everyday and seeing if I get the pop up. I’m not sure what Dh should do. Capital one is out for now and idk if any Amex cards will work. I think we have most, if not all chase personal cards.

We want to take DS to Japan. I think that’s our main goal. My brother finds out really soon where he’ll be stationed next and Japan is one of the three options so it would be cool to fly there and visit him. We’d also like to do a Disney cruise again but not a Caribbean one. Besides that, some trips close by and renting an rv might be fun

1. anywhere that is not here
2. somewhere other than here
3. a place that I do not call home
4. a land far away
5. anywhere that is not here

I'll be feeling exactly like that when the weather starts getting cold and dreary. I am self diagnosing as suffering from seasonal disorder for the last few years.

My refrain will be 'anywhere that is warm and sunny'.

Wait, what? Is this real? We had booked 5 days in Paris this summer, and I was hoping to take the train to DLP again for a day, but that's obviously not happening. I never heard of this London thing...

I guess I was misled as well. The story I saw said it was a Disney Property, now I see after further looking that it is not. I told my wife and she said it isn't worth it if it's not actual Disney. Still thinking of doing the same trip just without a day at a theme park in London. Taking a train through the Chunnel interests me. Time to start saving all the points.

I guess I was misled as well. The story I saw said it was a Disney Property, now I see after further looking that it is not. I told my wife and she said it isn't worth it if it's not actual Disney. Still thinking of doing the same trip just without a day at a theme park in London. Taking a train through the Chunnel interests me. Time to start saving all the points.

Oh, ok. I was wondering how I missed it. We've taken Eurostar through the chunnel (after a brief visit to DLP) and it was pretty cool. Much nicer than flying from London to Paris, too.

Hi all,

I am ready for my next bonus on a new credit card. I received the SW CP thanks to this thread!!! Of course, cannot really use it yet with the 'rona. I am now looking for a new spend to accumulate some points/rewards for hotel stays. We are happy to stay at mid level hotels, not picky, nothing fancy (not motel 6 though). I am leaning toward CSP but Marriot Bonvoy has a large bonus right now.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

Chase Sapphire Preferred
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
IHG Rewards Club Premier

Any thoughts? They all seem very similar. I only have 2 chase cards. Looking for hotels up and down the east and west coast, maybe visiting DL if travel resumes in 2021. Thankyou!
I'm similar to you with your hotel choices. Of those three choices I'd recommend the CSP. Every time I check the UR portal and price mid level hotels and compare it to points needed with that hotel's loyalty program URs win. For example I just booked a refundable Fairfield Marriott for 4 days over Labor Day weekend. On the UR portal it cost 38,376 UR points. With Marriott points it would cost 135,000. So that 100,000 bonus wouldn't even get me 4 nights at a hotel that only costs $109/night. But if I got a 60k bonus with the CSP, I'd get 4 nights plus still have 21k points left over. The points are extremely flexible, you really can't go wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter