I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've usually been able to find something among all the partner hotels.... but it might take some digging....

Heads up...there's a new AMEX offer for $20 off $100 at Undercover Tourist.
We only had it on one card, and I have to do some number crunching on whether to use UT for our January WDW tickets or stick with getting Disney gift cards at Walmart with the Freedom for 5% back. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone nearby with a Sam's Club membership to knock more off the price.

Longtime lurker on this thread, lots of good info. :D I have a chase IHG question. Does it seem difficult to use the rewards, or am I doing something wrong? When I go to book, most of the hotels say that rewards night are not available. And if I choose flexible dates, there are usually none available all year! We stay in a lot of Holiday Inns on road trips because they are everywhere, and many have a pullout bed for our 5th person. Seemed like this would be a good choice but I can hardly find any that take the rewards nights (in spite of the "no blackout dates on rewards" that is listed under benefits). I've found amex Hilton to be really easy to book, although I feel like they use a lot more points.

I have noticed some issues too. I'm usually looking at one IHG property which is the probably the newer one that is in a preferred location and they won't have rewards nights for my stay nor anything a year out. Seems weird to me also. But if I choose an IHG across town that is older and probably less desirable, they have tons of reward nights. I would think you wouldn't have too much trouble on road trips though. Maybe try calling them and asking.

Oops sorry, @Alexle2007 is right. You can transfer UR points to RR points online by yourself. If you're booking travel through the Chase portal, SW will not show up as a flight option but you can call Chase and book with UR points. That's what I was thinking of. I think you might earn RR points on your flight then because it's like paying with cash, but I'm not 100% on that.

Oh nice! So is it better to call UR and book SW flights since UR points have better value? Can you still do cancellations and changes for free like with SW direct?

DH will only carry one card...don't get me started.
So question is, he is currently carrying csp for everything. Should I pc it to csr? We already have precheck. We don't go to any airports that have lounges. He does travel weekly for work though, so I am thinking the 3x points on that would make it worthwhile. Does he need to wait a certain amount of time before he can upgrade it?

DH will only carry one card...don't get me started.
So question is, he is currently carrying csp for everything. Should I pc it to csr? We already have precheck. We don't go to any airports that have lounges. He does travel weekly for work though, so I am thinking the 3x points on that would make it worthwhile. Does he need to wait a certain amount of time before he can upgrade it?
A few pieces of information are needed to give an effective answer here:
- how much travel/restaurant spend does he put on the card annually?
- how much regular spend does he put on the card annually?
- do you (not him) have a CSR currently?
- how do you redeem your URs (travel portal, cashback or transfer to partners)?

A few pieces of information are needed to give an effective answer here:
- how much travel/restaurant spend does he put on the card annually?
- how much regular spend does he put on the card annually?

- do you (not him) have a CSR currently?

- how do you redeem your URs (travel portal, cashback or transfer to partners)?

He prob spends a total of $5-8k a month on his cc. It is all work and personal mixed so I don't know how much is travel. He is out 1-4 nights a week...hotel, food for those nights...Few thousand a month probably.

I have a csp.

I used them to book a 1 night stay at wdw last week but that is my only use so far. I foresee more booking thru the portal unless it is specifically better to transfer, such as a Hyatt room or something.

He prob spends a total of $5-8k a month on his cc. It is all work and personal mixed so I don't know how much is travel. He is out 1-4 nights a week...hotel, food for those nights...Few thousand a month probably.

I have a csp.

I used them to book a 1 night stay at wdw last week but that is my only use so far. I foresee more booking thru the portal unless it is specifically better to transfer, such as a Hyatt room or something.
I would think the math in your case strongly favors the CSR!! The extra point on travel is big. The kicker is all your URs gain additional value thru the portal since you could transfer your points to him.

I would think the math in your case strongly favors the CSR!! The extra point on travel is big. The kicker is all your URs gain additional value thru the portal since you could transfer your points to him.

I didn't even think about transferring! Nice!
So I am not sure how long he has had the csp...9 mths maybe? Can I upgrade it now or do I need to wait?

I didn't even think about transferring! Nice!
So I am not sure how long he has had the csp...9 mths maybe? Can I upgrade it now or do I need to wait?

it needs to be converted to the regular sapphire before it can become a freedom. I'm not sure about upgrades though.

Oh nice! So is it better to call UR and book SW flights since UR points have better value? Can you still do cancellations and changes for free like with SW direct?
I always move them to my SW RR account since I am continuously checking pricing and my flights have typically decreased. I’d rather have the points then a SW voucher since I always book with points. I just got 3000 pts back for Punta Cana at Christmas.

I always move them to my SW RR account since I am continuously checking pricing and my flights have typically decreased. I’d rather have the points then a SW voucher since I always book with points. I just got 3000 pts back for Punta Cana at Christmas.
I would second this opinion! The flexibility with using points is unmatched. AND I find Southwest RR points to be worth 1.62 cpp vs the 1.5 you get thru the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!