I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a little strategy help. I am 9/24, DH is 4/24. He will be 3/24 in 10/18 and has CSR, CSP, SW and Citi AA. He will be dropping CSP or PCing to FU. I have Freedom, Hyatt, Disney Premier, Marriot, SW, SPG, Hilton, Citi AA, & Aviator. I will be dumping Citi AA & Disney. Just signed up for a Chase checking today ($300 bonus and Disney debit card). I also have an old Citi Sears card which has recently added TY points to my account and is currently offering 10x points at restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores. I'm planning on using TY points for GCs.

I have 2018 vacations booked already, working toward 2019 cruise. I am taking a bit of a break because we recently got a new car loan (actually 2, capital one first then paid off to convert to credit union) so my credit score dropped a bit below 800. But I'm looking towards cards for December/January. I want to work on cash back for the cruise. So I'm thinking of the Disney no fee, Barclay Arrival Plus and Discover It. Any other ideas? What order would you do them in? Getting restless. As others have said, it's like withdrawal not having spend to meet.

Need a little strategy help. I am 9/24, DH is 4/24. He will be 3/24 in 10/18 and has CSR, CSP, SW and Citi AA. He will be dropping CSP or PCing to FU. I have Freedom, Hyatt, Disney Premier, Marriot, SW, SPG, Hilton, Citi AA, & Aviator. I will be dumping Citi AA & Disney. Just signed up for a Chase checking today ($300 bonus and Disney debit card). I also have an old Citi Sears card which has recently added TY points to my account and is currently offering 10x points at restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores. I'm planning on using TY points for GCs.

I have 2018 vacations booked already, working toward 2019 cruise. I am taking a bit of a break because we recently got a new car loan (actually 2, capital one first then paid off to convert to credit union) so my credit score dropped a bit below 800. But I'm looking towards cards for December/January. I want to work on cash back for the cruise. So I'm thinking of the Disney no fee, Barclay Arrival Plus and Discover It. Any other ideas? What order would you do them in? Getting restless. As others have said, it's like withdrawal not having spend to meet.
That Disney no fee card is such low hanging fruit! $200 gift card for $500 spend - 40% return!! I'd recommend that in tandem with any strategy once you're over 5/24.

If you really want to get into cashback and the cruise isn't until 2019 I'd consider the Amex MR with Schwab Plat route. That can be VERY lucrative.

That Disney no fee card is such low hanging fruit! $200 gift card for $500 spend - 40% return!! I'd recommend that in tandem with any strategy once you're over 5/24.

If you really want to get into cashback and the cruise isn't until 2019 I'd consider the Amex MR with Schwab Plat route. That can be VERY lucrative.

Another hidden gem for cashback is the Chase AARP card (and no, you don't have to be old to get it, lol). https://www.aarpcreditcard.com/
$200 cashback for $500 spend.

EDIT: for those wondering the Chase AARP card is not subject to 5/24.

Last edited:

Ooh. Ironically I AM old (and an aarp member)

I haven't heard anything about Schwab. Enlighten me please.
So American Express has a Charles Schwab platinum card. With this card you can cash out AMEX MRs at $0.0125 per point. There are a ton of Amex cards (maybe 8+) that all have lucrative MR signup bonuses. If you play your cards right (haha that's punny) you can end up with $4,000 to $5,000 or more in cashback. This strategy has kept me busy with minimum spends for a whole year.

First you have to open a Schwab Brokerage and checking account (which has a $100 signup bonus). Then you can get a Schwab Platinum card. if you're really thinking of going that route I'd read up on it some more or I can provide more detail but don't want to overwhelm in one post.

Today is a somewhat sad churning day for me. My annual fee has posted on my AMEX Schwab Plat...$550. :(

Schwab Plat...you've been so good to me over the past 12 months. You've been with me thru good times and bad. You've given me free TSA Precheck, $400 in Southwest gift cards, and High Level Status with Hilton, Marriott and Starwood. Most importantly, You've given me over $4,900 in cash by redeeming MRs at $0.0125 per point. :worship:

You may soon be gone but you will not soon be forgotten. :thumbsup2

I'm also interested in this strategy. I already have investments with Schwab that will lower my annual fee significantly. You then selectively maximize AmEx MR signup bonuses, and redeem for 1.25 cents/point. Or maybe you get lucky transferring to an airline mileage partner for even more. Plus, there ar some cards that earn 2 MR points per dollar spent, or more for certain categories, turning this into a minimum of 2.5% back strategy.

I think I'm liking this, especially as I am LOL/24.

Today is a somewhat sad churning day for me. My annual fee has posted on my AMEX Schwab Plat...$550. :(

Schwab Plat...you've been so good to me over the past 12 months. You've been with me thru good times and bad. You've given me free TSA Precheck, $400 in Southwest gift cards, and High Level Status with Hilton, Marriott and Starwood. Most importantly, You've given me over $4,900 in cash by redeeming MRs at $0.0125 per point. :worship:

You may soon be gone but you will not soon be forgotten. :thumbsup2

So American Express has a Charles Schwab platinum card. With this card you can cash out AMEX MRs at $0.0125 per point. There are a ton of Amex cards (maybe 8+) that all have lucrative MR signup bonuses. If you play your cards right (haha that's punny) you can end up with $4,000 to $5,000 or more in cashback. This strategy has kept me busy with minimum spends for a whole year.

First you have to open a Schwab Brokerage and checking account (which has a $100 signup bonus). Then you can get a Schwab Platinum card. if you're really thinking of going that route I'd read up on it some more or I can provide more detail but don't want to overwhelm in one post.

Please do explain in more detail. I will be closing 3 Amex cards by the end of the year so I'm up for a lucrative Amex strategy.

Please do explain in more detail. I will be closing 3 Amex cards by the end of the year so I'm up for a lucrative Amex strategy.
1.) Open a Schwab Brokerage via this link: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/refer-prospect.html
This will earn you $100. It mentions something about having to put $1,000 in the Brokerage but they didn't enforce that for me or my wife.

2.) I'd also advise opening their checking account with it too. The Schwab debit card is neat too as it doesn't charge any ATM fees worldwide.

3.) Hit the Amex MR cards hard: PRG, Green, Ameriprise Gold, Everyday, Everyday preferred, BGR, Biz Green, Blue4Biz, etc. Compile an insane amount of MRs

4.) Sign up for AMEX Schwab Plat - earn 60k MRs for that and cash out all of the MRs you've earned for a boatload of cash into your brokerage. Then transfer to your checking and just like that, YOU'RE ROLLING IN DOUGH! :rotfl2::dancer::thumbsup2

EDIT: you don't have to wait to signup of the Schwab Plat - I signed up for it first then hit the other cards. If you sign up for it later it gives you more time without paying the annual fee ($550) twice.

Last edited:
If you have enough money invested with Schwab, the annual fee decreases to $450 or $350. It comes with $200 airline credit (possible to double dip during 1st year of card membership) and $200 Uber credit. If you use all of that, you could be positive $50-$150 during 1st year, plus 60,000 point signup bonus = $750. Don't forget free SPG and Hilton gold status, lounge access, Boingo, Global Entry or TSA pre-check.

The card gives you 6.25% back on airlines and some hotels. Pair this with the AmEx Blue Business Plus, which gives you 2 MR points for every dollar spent, and you have a base of 2.5% cash back on everything else. You can add other cards for higher bonuses on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Or you can just go for the signup bonuses.

This might be a card that I keep for the long term. Thanks SouthFayetteFan!

I always move them to my SW RR account since I am continuously checking pricing and my flights have typically decreased. I’d rather have the points then a SW voucher since I always book with points. I just got 3000 pts back for Punta Cana at Christmas.

I would second this opinion! The flexibility with using points is unmatched. AND I find Southwest RR points to be worth 1.62 cpp vs the 1.5 you get thru the portal.

I agree, I check mine a ton too, and usually get points back.

If you have enough money invested with Schwab, the annual fee decreases to $450 or $350. It comes with $200 airline credit (possible to double dip during 1st year of card membership) and $200 Uber credit. If you use all of that, you could be positive $50-$150 during 1st year, plus 60,000 point signup bonus = $750. Don't forget free SPG and Hilton gold status, lounge access, Boingo, Global Entry or TSA pre-check.

The card gives you 6.25% back on airlines and some hotels. Pair this with the AmEx Blue Business Plus, which gives you 2 MR points for every dollar spent, and you have a base of 2.5% cash back on everything else. You can add other cards for higher bonuses on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Or you can just go for the signup bonuses.

You make a bunch of great points! The benefits of this card basically go on and on. It's too much to put into a succinct write-up lol! The annual fee is now $550 FYI though.

Another feature is that a lot of people have gotten targeted in month 11 of having the card for an offer that gives you a $100 statement credit for making any purchase.

Can you tell us what the terms are for the brokerage and checking account? Amount of deposit and time to keep it there?

I should have kept reading! I see that you answered my questions in subsequent posts.

Last edited:

trstno1: what is enough money and do you know which vehicles the money has to be in to get a significantly reduced fee?

I'll be retiring soon and getting a little bonus - I could divert maybe 10-20K of that to an account such as this. Once I retire my new job will be playing with money!

Good info although it pains me to see a MMS post used, lol.
Ohhhh....com'on now..... MMS is what got me started...they still put out some of the clearest explanations for various things I can find.... and I always recommend them to newbies.....

Good info although it pains me to see a MMS post used, lol.
Ohhhh....com'on now..... MMS is what got me started...they still put out some of the clearest explanations for various things I can find.... and I always recommend them to newbies.....

I gotta agree here. MMS was invaluable to me as a newbie. I would never have had business cards on my radar if not for Darius' step by step screen shot directions. Although, since he and Emily split up it seems like the blog has taken a different direction.

Speaking of blogs ...

What's everyone following these days with regards to the bloggers? The thread is over a year old and I imagine some of us may have discovered some hot shot bloggers that are newer or some that haven't been mentioned before. Here's my list in order of which has been the most useful lately:

Frequent Miler
Doctor of Credit
The Points Guy
Mile Value
Deals We Like
Dan's Deals
One Mile at a Time
View From the Wing
Million Mile Secrets
Mommy Points

I think MMS lays things out in an easy way when you're new. I read it a lot last year as I got started. Lately I feel like the posts seem more repetitive, but maybe that's just me. I didn't know they split up either, I hadn't stumbled across that post... I do like to read the reader interviews where they talk about specific trips and where they stayed, etc to see if there's anything I can use.

Speaking of blogs ...

What's everyone following these days with regards to the bloggers? The thread is over a year old and I imagine some of us may have discovered some hot shot bloggers that are newer or some that haven't been mentioned before. Here's my list in order of which has been the most useful lately:

Frequent Miler
Doctor of Credit
The Points Guy
Mile Value
Deals We Like
Dan's Deals
One Mile at a Time
View From the Wing
Million Mile Secrets
Mommy Points
I think I'll be checking some of these out! I need some more because I mostly end up on MMS, DoC, and Points Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter