I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea you could iMessage someone money. Ha!

Yes. The Apple Pay via Messages app came out two weeks ago in the iOS 11.2 update.

Q1 Apple pay... it makes me wonder if you can apple pay someone on imessage... earn 2% within seconds.

I think that's just asking for trouble. I saw a post on churning subreddit about Chase surveying customers how they feel about 5x on Freedom for all mobile wallet purchases. That's just setting off alarm bells in my head thinking back to all the US Bank shutdowns for abuse of the 3x mobile payments category on the US Altitude Reserve. I value my relationships with Apple and Chase so I won't be messing with that.

So I need train tickets to Grand Canyon and 1 night hotel outside the park for next June. CSR travel credit appeared yesterday (AF 11/1). I want to charge train tix to CSR ($250) then book hotel thru UR portal for points and $, charging $50 to CSR for the remainder of travel credit. Then pc CSR next week. Since we already have CSP & Freedom, was planning on Freedom unlimited?
Any flaws in my plan?

So I need train tickets to Grand Canyon and 1 night hotel outside the park for next June. CSR travel credit appeared yesterday (AF 11/1). I want to charge train tix to CSR ($250) then book hotel thru UR portal for points and $, charging $50 to CSR for the remainder of travel credit. Then pc CSR next week. Since we already have CSP & Freedom, was planning on Freedom unlimited?
Any flaws in my plan?

if u are able to max out your Freedom card, its suggestive to get another Freedom. if not, your plan sounds good!

To anyone who will do or has done the AMEX/Google Express deal, it looks like it's taking 10 days for the $20 credit to post. I did a couple orders. One was a Bose speaker from Target (this was the only way to get any type of discount since Bose is excluded from EVERY coupon/promo) ordered the end of Nov and the other was a $50 AMEX gift card ordered on 12/5. @Lain I think you ordered a gift card not long ago as well. The original total was $60.59 because Google included taxes, but when the charge hit my account it was adjusted to the correct amount of $54.95. The $20 credit came through yesterday 12/14.

I decided to go ahead and order $50 Amex GCs on all four of my cards that had the Google Express offer. I didn't see anything I needed through Google Express so I figured $15 free money/card is still good. My very first order did eventually adjust down to $54.95, but then it was marked as delivered even though it wasn't. I had to chat with Google Express support and they refunded me the amount. The three other orders and the reorder went through fine. The transactions have yet to credit with Amex, and two of the charges are still showing pending at $60-something; but it looks like Amex is taking a long time to post and credit.

I don't think I'll be using Google Express again outside some really good promo. I'm very leery of services like Google Express and Instacart that let you purchase from local retailers but tell you they may charge you different prices than in store. Then the delivery estimates are so random. I placed an order on a Sunday night, it said delivery by Friday; but when I placed an order on Tuesday, it offered next day Wednesday delivery. What? Both times, the item was in stock.

Then there's my lost order. They package the gift card in these thin plastic sleeve envelopes that don't hide what's inside at all! I get an email confirmation that my first order shipped. It wasn't delivered during the day to my building's management office, or to my building's smart lockers that send out email notifications when I've received a package; so I'm hitting the tracking link repeatedly when I get home in the evening (I'm essentially waiting for cash), it updates as delivered in locker and I run downstairs -- no one's there, no delivery truck, no package, no email about a package. Checked with my office the next day, and there's no log of the package ever being delivered, and it didn't ever show up. I'm struggling not to assume the delivery guy just pocketed the gift card, figuring I can just deal with it with Google. Fortunately, I got a refund but looking over Google's purchase protection terms, there are a lot of exclusions that might've applied.

Any flaws in my plan?
if u are able to max out your Freedom card, its suggestive to get another Freedom. if not, your plan sounds good!

I agree with @Albort This’s is what DH did when he PCd his CSP. He is able to max out the quarterly categories on both Freedom cards so it made sense. I am not, so I went for the CFU as an alternative to non category spend in case the SPG went down the tubes.

Any flaws in my plan?

Looks good to me. I PC’ed to the CFU because we don’t max out the Freedom categories.

I decided to go ahead and order $50 Amex GCs on all four of my cards that had the Google Express offer. I didn't see anything I needed through Google Express so I figured $15 free money/card is still good. My very first order did eventually adjust down to $54.95, but then it was marked as delivered even though it wasn't. I had to chat with Google Express support and they refunded me the amount. The three other orders and the reorder went through fine. The transactions have yet to credit with Amex, and two of the charges are still showing pending at $60-something; but it looks like Amex is taking a long time to post and credit.

I don't think I'll be using Google Express again outside some really good promo. I'm very leery of services like Google Express and Instacart that let you purchase from local retailers but tell you they may charge you different prices than in store. Then the delivery estimates are so random. I placed an order on a Sunday night, it said delivery by Friday; but when I placed an order on Tuesday, it offered next day Wednesday delivery. What? Both times, the item was in stock.

Then there's my lost order. They package the gift card in these thin plastic sleeve envelopes that don't hide what's inside at all! I get an email confirmation that my first order shipped. It wasn't delivered during the day to my building's management office, or to my building's smart lockers that send out email notifications when I've received a package; so I'm hitting the tracking link repeatedly when I get home in the evening (I'm essentially waiting for cash), it updates as delivered in locker and I run downstairs -- no one's there, no delivery truck, no package, no email about a package. Checked with my office the next day, and there's no log of the package ever being delivered, and it didn't ever show up. I'm struggling not to assume the delivery guy just pocketed the gift card, figuring I can just deal with it with Google. Fortunately, I got a refund but looking over Google's purchase protection terms, there are a lot of exclusions that might've applied.
My gift card came in a huge Google Express box! I live only 10 min from work so I ran home as soon as I got the delivery confirmation. Luckily the package was there. I'm so sorry you lost the first gift card, but it's good to know they refunded you. I agree, I will ONLY use them if there's a great deal going. I really don't see the point of using them if they're not offering someing you can't get from the actual store your purchasing from. Makes no sense to me!

I can't max out on 1 card, let alone 2. I'm not sure I'd even put much on CFU either.

I got the Barclay arrival+ about 6mos ago which is 2% back on all purchases. I wasn't sure how useful the card would be beyond the sign-up bonus but I've surprisingly earned a pretty nice amount of points on my own because I use it on everything I don't have category spend on. It's sock-drawered right now cause I'm meeting spend on my DH's CIP and then it will stay sock-drawered cause I will begin using the CFU once I get it.

Everyone's situation is different but for us, we have a lot of medical for my dd17, my dd15 is in braces so I have that monthly autopaying, my dh is about to have an eye surgery, any car repairs and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
My gift card came in a huge Google Express box! I live only 10 min from work so I ran home as soon as I got the delivery confirmation. Luckily the package was there. I'm so sorry you lost the first gift card, but it's good to know they refunded you. I agree, I will ONLY use them if there's a great deal going. I really don't see the point of using them if they're not offering someing you can't get from the actual store your purchasing from. Makes no sense to me!

Agree. I don’t get it either. This one time rebate was nice, but otherwise I’d order direct from the store so I can get online shopping portal points and likely quicker shipping.

Chase Pay is working again at BestBuy. Bought a bunch of gift cards and was given a $5 gift card at checkout. While looking at my receipt in the car I found out there was a buy $50 or more in starbucks get a $5 Best Buy gift card promo going. The surprise $5 is great- but having bought $100 in Starbucks I'm annoyed the store didn't have any signs out about the promo!

Chase Pay is working again at BestBuy. Bought a bunch of gift cards and was given a $5 gift card at checkout. While looking at my receipt in the car I found out there was a buy $50 or more in starbucks get a $5 Best Buy gift card promo going. The surprise $5 is great- but having bought $100 in Starbucks I'm annoyed the store didn't have any signs out about the promo!

I saw it online but didn’t realize it was in store too!

I got the Barclay arrival+ about 6mos ago which is 2% back on all purchases. I wasn't sure how useful the card would be beyond the sign-up bonus but I've surprisingly earned a pretty nice amount of points on my own because I use it on everything I don't have category spend on. It's sock-drawered right now cause I'm meeting spend on my DH's CIP and then it will stay sock-drawered cause I will begin using the CFU once I get it.

Everyone's situation is different but for us, we have a lot of medical for my dd17, my dd15 is in braces so I have that monthly autopaying, my dh is about to have an eye surgery, any car repairs and the list goes on and on.
Looking at a couple cards beginning of next year, so will be meeting spend plus 5% cat on CF & Discover. After first quarter may have some use for CFU.

Seems like the whole "referrals" discussion is blowing up on r/churning again. I'm not trying to start any argument/discussion here over that (there's enough drama there already, HAHA!).

I really just wanted to post here to say thanks to everybody who has supported our little DISchurners Reddit endeavor. I'm REALLY glad to see that we've been able to support each other on a small scale without any drama or arguments.

I wish Chase would release the bonus categories for the rest of 2018 like Discover. I' don't know whether
to product change to freedom or freedom unlimited!

My guess (that’s all it is) is grocery stores and something else Q2 and restaurants Q3. Really wish they’d throw warehouse clubs in again.

My guess (that’s all it is) is grocery stores and something else Q2 and restaurants Q3. Really wish they’d throw warehouse clubs in again.

This is what I am thinking also. Movie theaters in Q3 maybe with restaurants and always dept stores along with something else in Q4. I’d like to see warehouse again also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter