I said we would never do it but ......

I really never set high expectations so I don't get disappointed :) but honestly after reading a lot of the replies here, I think we will have a great time! Yes I like relaxing at the lounges, the quiet times on the balcony etc but what really makes me happy is being with my kids when they are having a good time. The only pool we have is a blow up one that I will set up for the kids on the weekends and usually I get right in with them! I enjoy my time with my girls so if they have a good time, so will I.
So excited for you! Have a great time!!!

I'll tell you one thing though, Last night I was looking at Beach Club so I called and once I was able to speak with an agent, the price she gave me was less than the price online. I then seen BC go up by about $40ish a night when I had left the page and came back. When I asked her about that she informed me as the rooms get booked the price goes up. Really? I know about price and demand but wow! And the only reason we upgraded our park hoppers and memory maker to the AP is because it will pay for itself this upcoming trip. Plus we get discounts on food as well. We plan on doing a few mini trips at various resorts over the next year and then one big trip which will be CL at Contemporary :)
I hadn't thought about the price being able to change reminds me of airfare pricing. That's a neat thing though trying out different resorts. I did monorail hopping the last trip just to get a feel for some of the other resorts. I'd like to go check out some dining options at the other resorts if I can the next time I go.

Makes total financial sense upgrading for the AP...though of course side effect is exactly what you're experiencing where it's burning a hole in that pocket and that makes it all too easy to book a trip. When I had Companion Pass with SWA I'd find myself saying "oh..you know I could go with you honey" :laughing: when he had a work trip 'Course we'd spend a bit more money if I was going than if I had stayed at home but darn it if that "free" (excluding the 9/11 fees) ticket didn't make it very tempting to book me a seat on the flight.

AOA is such a fun resort, you and the kids will love it! No wifi problems, no AC problems, it was a fantastic 2 week stay.

we are staying at pop in November our first value stay. I will be honest I am not excited about the resort but I know for a fact my Mickey loving 6 year old is going to love the room. I have adjusted my expectations and will enjoy my trip. Still my DH is checking daily for any Fort Wilderness Lodge cabins cause that's where I wanted to stay.

I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and had great vacations in all of them. I have stayed at CR more times than I could count, and have stayed at AoA in the suites a few times. The main thing I think you may miss is a balcony. You won’t have any outdoor space of your own, although there are plenty of outdoor spaces to enjoy. I have even seen a family enjoying a picnic lunch on one of the lawn areas at AoA, which is now on my bucket list as it looked so relaxing.

Personally, I think CR has the most comfortable beds on property, but I slept fine at AOA. Yes, the bed was a much firmer mattress, but it was fine. I also slept on the Murphy bed and it was comfortable (more comfortable than the regular bed to me).

I have never been a big fan of the CR bathroom layout, or the sinks that rarely drain. It is nice to have two full bathrooms at AoA, and particularly the walk in shower (not a big fan of tub/shower combos).

I prefer the bus stops at the values, with their organized queues, to the free for all boarding at the mods and deluxes. The values seem to be much better at moving large volumes of people efficiently.

I agree that it’s important to go into it with the right expectations. Don’t go into it comparing it to any other resort. Go into it with an open mind and an appreciation for what it does have. There are going to be pros and cons at every resort. It may be different, but different doesn’t necessarily mean worse.

We booked a value. The last 3 years we stayed at the Contemporary Atrium and we just got back (9/6-9/16) Atrium Club Level and we loved it beyond what we could imagine! So while there we applied our 10 day hoppers and Memory Maker towards Platinum Passes so we decided to come back for Christmas! Not "Christmas time" per say but actually Christmas week (I know, crazy crowds) because our girls really wanted to be at Disney on Christmas and our 4 year old turns 5 on the 27th! What's better than Christmas? A Disney Birthday of course! So after finding out the room price at Contemporary Club Level was going to be $7404 AFTER our Passholder discount, I told the wife it was just way too much for 5 nights room only. The agent on the phone recommended the Nemo Family Suite and AoA. Same dates (12/22-28th) $3004 and we get a suite? really? So we booked it. Now I have buyers remorse setting in. After being spoiled at Club Level, are we going to be disappointed? It it crazy noisey? How is the transportation? Minnie Vans are getting too expensive and during Christmas, probably limited availability. So did I make a mistake? The girls already know about it so I'm not going to break their hearts. We will still go but just want some insight on what to expect.
I understand the buyers remorse, but I think that will quickly subside once you see the sign that says "Welcome to Disney World"! The girls will have a blast and wont care if they're staying in a Value Resort or a Luxury Resort. Have fun and have a Merry Christmas!

Personally, I would be more concerned about the week that you are going to WDW rather than the resort you choose.

Really not trying to be a downer, but you are paying the highest prices for the most crowded time of the year. Paying more to do less. If it's a bucket list kind of thing to be at WDW during Christmas time, then I get it. ...just manage those expectations again.

Dan

I stay at deluxes all the time and never pay more than $300 per night (room only). When you're doing over $700 / night, you are on some other level where money doesn't mean the same thing. You're worried about Minnie Vans costing too much? Rethink what is important to you on a vacation. If there truly are no values for less than $150 and moderates for under $200 (already too expensive) I'll just pick another date or stay off site. I'll save my money for more important things.

Availability is crap right now for December, so you are going to overpay or stay off-site. It used to be you could get Pop right now no problem, and the worst thing that would happen is you'd have to pay $150 / night. But now it's all booked up for some reason.

Availability is crap right now for December, so you are going to overpay or stay off-site. It used to be you could get Pop right now no problem, and the worst thing that would happen is you'd have to pay $150 / night. But now it's all booked up for some reason.

:rolleyes1 guilty :rolleyes1booked Pop for December 2018 on a bounceback last December. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I think the values will book more quickly as people get priced out of the more expensive resorts. Even with a discount the deluxes can be pricey for a longer trip. I do better with discounts in January and September, so if I am look at a deluxe I book it then, instead of my spring and December trips.

we have stayed in Nemo suite and loved. I did not find the towels "scratchy" or the beds "hard". nor too loud.. We usually do a value and split BC stay.. I heard noises, toilet flushes in all levels of resorts. It seems PP did his homework and knows what to expect. If I go camping I do not expect wifi!

One thing I loved about AOA is the room layout. It really gave us tons of space. Best was also the ajoining bath in the bedroom. had a walk in shower. no tub. WDW is limited in suites with 2 full baths.. usually you need a 2 bedroom.
I find the values are a different feel than deluxes. They are more young, and simply FUN.. it's not the let me lay back and be spoiled and served accommandations, but simply family fun at a "value" price.. we Personally love the shops and food courts more than the deluxes.. more action.. but some may comment too loud.. we are ok with that.

some one posted take a look at the royal rooms at POR, we stayed here 2x.. they are nice but really no big deal ( just the light up artwork that gets old real fast.. Rooms are tight... cant compare to AoA space.. Also AoA will give you room for a christmas tree for christmas.. Not sure if driving or have a cheap one delivered via amazon.. and just hang paper mickey ears... that has always been my dream.. but my husband will never travel on Christmas.

Don't the pools close sometimes in winter if the temps get below a certain point? I thought I read that somewhere.

Don't the pools close sometimes in winter if the temps get below a certain point? I thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, they do. Last January the temps were below freezing a couple nights of my Pop stay and the pools were closed for the day. The water parks closed that day as well. There were a couple pretty chilly days when the pool was open, but the few brave swimmers were staying low in the water and not moving much. The pool is heated, but it’s chilly getting out when the weather is cold.

It is not even close to the best pool on WDW property. That would be Stormalong Bay at the BC/YC.

$475.31 per night plus taxes comes out to about $535/night total. That's not too far off from $600/night.

The sand at Stormalong Bay would make it the 2nd WORST on property for me after the evil clown at Boardwalk.

It's different for everyone.

We stayed in a Nemo suite last Christmas and had a wonderful time. Nemo is close to food and buses. Having 2 bathrooms is great. There seemed to be tons of buses at that time. Never waited more than about 10 mins going to the parks and I only recall one wait longer than that coming back to the hotel. There were often buses ready and waiting. The theme of AoA is great for kids, and if you want to feel like you have never left the Disney bubble, this is about as good as it gets. Everywhere you look at AoA is Disney, in your face.

We just got back from a week in a 1 bdrm at Grand Californian, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay at AoA again. I say try it. You might just love it.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the week that you are going to WDW rather than the resort you choose.

Really not trying to be a downer, but you are paying the highest prices for the most crowded time of the year. Paying more to do less. If it's a bucket list kind of thing to be at WDW during Christmas time, then I get it. ...just manage those expectations again.

Dan
It is a Bucket List to take my kids to Disney on Christmas Day and to take them for their Birthday. This trip I do both (my 4 year old turns 5 on the 27th) so then we just need to take my 7 year old on her birthday. Then my wife, then me lol. We are planning on early parks, head to resort after lunch. I'm not to worried anymore after reading about a ton of happy Christmas trips. As far as the resort goes, next stay will be back at Contemporary Club level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter