I voted yesterday... No Political statements just asking about the method you chose on casting your ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston is a small enough city that if you work/commute long enough you become familiar with some of the faces you see around a lot. This is someone I’ve seen around and can confirm he seems to be someone with a lot of struggles. I noticed some other people on Twitter also recognized him right away when the surveillance video was first posted. I definitely don’t think this was politically motivated in any way.
Saw that in a different city. Knew all the regulars on sight, but some would go away and come back, and of course new ones.

Florida has now had more than 6 MILLION people vote -- 3.8 million by mail and 2.2 million via in-person early voting! In the 2016 presidential election, we had 9.4 million votes cast total by all methods including Election Day voting, so it looks like we'll easily exceed that.

My county -- Miami Dade -- is the most populous county in the state. So far, we have had 390,000 vote by mail ballot and 266,000 vote in-person. That's 656,000 votes cast so far.

We continue voting early through 7 PM Sunday, Nov 1 and all mail ballots received by Election Day will count.

I did absentee mail in from overseas. Voted using on online ballot after going through that process to get my access code. printed, signed and mailed it Oct. 2 from Germany. Got my email confirmation Sat that it has been received. Yeah!!!! Mail in absentee voting from overseas has been a major concern for many ex-pats. I’m in a Facebook group and that is the key concern that they get received in time. Due to Covid and other reasons international mail has been iffy the past half year. So unless you want to spend 60 bucks fed axing iMail in absentee voting from overseas has been a major concern for many ex-pats . Standard letters usually take 7 days. Mine took 22. .
Update: I got another email today. I must say I find the whole process with Cook County Chicago Illinois very good. I didn’t quite explain the whole process but basically I got a secret code to go to an online ballot are you basically online check your boat you can print this which lists the names and who you voted for and it has a QR code you have to then sign this and also another paper I believe. I assume the QR code is what they scan to make sure that only one vote is received and counted ( technically I could have printed multiple and sent them. . They might have checked also signatures. I believe if I wanna change my vote I have to go in person.

Attachments

• 2DF4127D-0A3E-4621-9784-C70F2BE37173.jpeg
    2DF4127D-0A3E-4621-9784-C70F2BE37173.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
Florida. I voted in person early at my polling location around the corner from my house. Took longer to fill out my ballot than it did to wait in line and check in.
There were about 25 voting stations set up. Each station was cleaned between voters. Several scanners set up. I voted, scanned, and went home.

Maryland. Today was the first day of early voting. We got there around 3pm. The line was around the building but moved quickly. Total wait time was 37 minutes.

Nuts. You have to show ID to buy an alcoholic drink or even see an R rated movie but not to vote.
In better times, I went to baseball games specifically because they check my ID whenever I buy a beer. There was a time when I resented that people didn't think I was old enough...but we're past that now!

Last edited:
Voted by mail here in Texas. Probably won't do it that way again. Voting in my bedroom, in my PJs? Then putting our ballots in the mail slot at the post office? Just doesn't seem right. Next time, I think I'll go back to early voting-at least you go in your car, park, and go into an actual voting place and get checked off by the people sitting at the table. Unfortunately, our governor decreed that each county is only allowed one drop box, and that's a long drive for us. But hearing some of the stories of damage to drop boxes, maybe what we did was OK.

Voted by mail here in Texas. Probably won't do it that way again. Voting in my bedroom, in my PJs? Then putting our ballots in the mail slot at the post office? Just doesn't seem right. Next time, I think I'll go back to early voting-at least you go in your car, park, and go into an actual voting place and get checked off by the people sitting at the table. Unfortunately, our governor decreed that each county is only allowed one drop box, and that's a long drive for us. But hearing some of the stories of damage to drop boxes, maybe what we did was OK.
There are no drop boxes in Texas. Each ballot has to be personally delivered to an election worker. They'll also ask to see ID the same as if you voted in person.

I understand in Houston they decided that their limit of one would be at a football stadium where they set up their election headquarters. It might not have been multiple geographic locations to help alleviate distance, but I heard they had a drive-in drop off in the parking lot as well as walk-in at the stadium building.

Sounds like we agree.
No. We do not agree. You've said it's a problem with mail in ballots. I do not agree there is a problem with mail in ballots. I full support mail in ballots. My issue lies with those who would interfere with that and undermine the process.

Mail in voting isn't an untried process. It's been the standard mechanism for voting in Oregon for over 20 years. Absentee voting and voting by our military stationed over seas is done through the mail. It's not something new and never done before.

No. We do not agree. You've said it's a problem with mail in ballots. I do not agree there is a problem with mail in ballots. I full support mail in ballots. My issue lies with those who would interfere with that and undermine the process.

Mail in voting isn't an untried process. It's been the standard mechanism for voting in Oregon for over 20 years. Absentee voting and voting by our military stationed over seas is done through the mail. It's not something new and never done before.
I know you weren't replying to me, but it seems people here (and elsewhere) are using "mail in voting" to mean different things. To some it just means the option to deliver your ballot via the mail. As you said, this has been going on for many years. To others "mail in voting" also includes the state mailing ballots to ALL registered voters, not just those that request it. I believe some states have been doing this for several years, and some may have started doing it this year due to COVID. (I don't know this for sure, and I don't feel like looking it up.)

I personally have no problem with making it easy to vote. I do think there are potential issues when you start offering the various initiatives. Mailing ballots to everyone, extending ballot acceptance dates, allowing ballot harvesting, and loose/no ID requirements all add some risk of fraud. If a state chooses to allow any or all of these initiatives, they just need to put processes in place to reduce the risk as much as possible.

My issue lies with those who would interfere with that and undermine the process.
I'm in favor of mail ballots, early voting -- really anything reasonable to make voting more accessible to everyone.

But I also think authorities have an obligation to make the process (including the drop boxes) secure. In the Boston case, to just leave a ballot drop box unattended on a public sidewalk 24/7 is negligent, IMHO.

Equally important, if you read the news stories about the Boston case, it's quite obvious the person who set the ballot box on fire was not trying to undermine the electoral system. It was just a person with mental issues acting out.

In other words, no big deal, and certainly not something to get all worked up about.

I know you weren't replying to me, but it seems people here (and elsewhere) are using "mail in voting" to mean different things. To some it just means the option to deliver your ballot via the mail. As you said, this has been going on for many years. To others "mail in voting" also includes the state mailing ballots to ALL registered voters, not just those that request it. I believe some states have been doing this for several years, and some may have started doing it this year due to COVID. (I don't know this for sure, and I don't feel like looking it up.)

I personally have no problem with making it easy to vote. I do think there are potential issues when you start offering the various initiatives. Mailing ballots to everyone, extending ballot acceptance dates, allowing ballot harvesting, and loose/no ID requirements all add some risk of fraud. If a state chooses to allow any or all of these initiatives, they just need to put processes in place to reduce the risk as much as possible.
But some states (like mine) never required ID to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter