I was speaking to the DVC reps in Calif

Mary Anne

DIS Veteran
I have just returned from a trip to Disneyland in California. While there we (DH and myself) proudly wore our DVC Member Hats. We spoke to a number of DVC Reps and this is what the mentioned to us. (Take it for what it is worth and I'm not 100% sure if any of this has previously reported here, forgive me if I'm just giving old news.)

1) A group of 8 reps were the transition group coming from Florida to California to train the Calif team. The original 8 are still in California at this point.

2) Since they started selling in Calif (2 - 3 months ago), they have sold 3,000,000 in business, far more then they anticipated. They are selling in SSR.

3) They will be setting up an actual model of SSR in the near future. Right now they are doing virtual tours.

4) Most California residents have never been to Florida as they feel they've seen the MK and why go to Florida to just see a second one. That comment personally floored me. There is just so much more and different about Florida.

5) The land to build a DVC has hotel has already been purchased, it is not a question of "if" but "when" a California DVC unit will be built. This was the only thing we weren't 100% sure how true it was. Does anyone else have any other first hand information and/or thoughts?

Mary Anne said:
1) A group of 8 reps were the transition group coming from Florida to California to train the Calif team. The original 8 are still in California at this point.

5) The land to build a DVC has hotel has already been purchased, it is not a question of "if" but "when" a California DVC unit will be built. This was the only thing we weren't 100% sure how true it was. Does anyone else have any other first hand information and/or thoughts?

#1 was confirmed to me by my DVC rep. He said a number of his co-workers had transferred out to California.

#5--see my post about the strawberry field.

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I have to say one thing, the only thing that will ever get us out to Disneyland in California again is a real DVC hotel. No way will we go and stay in an offsite or pay the points for just the Disneyland hotel.

I'm surprised that people would buy at SSR sight-unseen from CA.

I don't have much interest in Disneyland. All my memories are at WDW. Like Mary Anne, I would visit if DVC were available out there.

I'm sure they are pushing all the other places they can use the DVC points. Let's face it the Hawaii exchange is a great one and from California it's a short trip. Also, I actually heard one lady say "Tell me all about this, we come to Disneyland every year, from southern Calif, and I want to stay at the Disney hotels here." To us it's a not that great use of points, but to her it was worth it.

So that's about 33000 points sold, essentially sight unseen. - Excellent. Makes you wonder why disney didn't set sales offices up there before.

For those who really love Disney, I wouldn't miss a chance to see Disneyland if you could combine it with other S. California places. The attractions are just different enough that a real Disney nut can have a wonderful time comparing and contrasting Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. There are also some attractions that are not available in FL, like the exciting Indiana Jones ride. I went to see the special 50th anniversary attractions and had a wonderful time, even alone.

That is why we went out there, to see the 50th and see Disneyland for the first time. While we enjoyed DisneyLand and loved seeing the difference between the two MK, we felt we spent far too much time in the area, 8 days, we should have branched out and seen other areas of California. I have a trip report written but I hesitate to post it as while I say how much we enjoyed Disney the whole expereince was somewhat lacking. Part of it was we really, really missed our onebedroom DVC!

Mary Anne said:
Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I have to say one thing, the only thing that will ever get us out to Disneyland in California again is a real DVC hotel. No way will we go and stay in an offsite or pay the points for just the Disneyland hotel.

We went yearly to DL each June, from 1999-2004, stayed at Hilton Suites each time (though once split the stay at GC), BUT also can't see going back before a DVC hotel is built :hourglass

OneMoreTry said:

I don't have much interest in Disneyland. All my memories are at WDW. Like Mary Anne, I would visit if DVC were available out there.

No too surprising for me - my hubby and I purchased SSR sight unseen - we just knew that the quality of Disney would be good enough for us. We have not been disaapointed. :)

OneMoreTry said:
Why? Like Deluzy, we too bought SSR sight-unseen. FWIW, we've purchased 4 timeshare products without physically touring the grounds or seeing a unit. Does that seem odd?

Our favorite of the bunch was purchased after we tried to visit the property but were denied admittance at the gate. The security staff sternly informed us, "No visitors unless specifically invited by an owner." Ooookay. We did some research for background info and later found a resale on eBay. We've been happy owners ever since. ;)

We bought HHI and VB and SSR all sight unseen and have still not been to any of them mind you next trip is SSR.

Mary Anne said:
4) Most California residents have never been to Florida as they feel they've seen the MK and why go to Florida to just see a second one.
Hmm ... I'm thinking this one is a far stretch from the truth. I'd love to review the demographic basis for that statement. ;)

MaryAnne, I was wondering if DVC ever wanted to use your services as "satisfied DVC members" at the sales booths? I would imagine there aren't yet too many DVC members in the area that sales can point to and say "talk to them!" I was surprised that this happened to me at WDW when I stopped at a sales kiosk once. They were so happy to see someone they could point to with other prospective DVC members there, and ask questions. It was really kind of fun!
Gotta be OT for a second-did you see the Disney All-American College Band (they do the Flag Retreat, pre-parade, perform in front of the castle)? One of their players is a very happy DVC member.

We purchased our VWL contract sight unseen :teeth: I didn't have to. I knew I was buying into a Disney property, how can you go wrong with that :earboy2:

I always tell every possible new DVC owner the exact same thing. However many points you are thinking of buying, buy 50 more :lol I've heard that the DVC Reps say the owners are their greatest asset in spreading the word of DVC.

Sorry I didn't see the All American College Band perform but I think I did see them going to or from a performance once or twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter