Iceland Meets Thread

Thanks for the write up!! We are so happy we are doing this trip next year. We have one pre-day in Reykjavik, but maybe we will add one more if there is a fair amount to do...look forward to hearing more.

In Reykjavik we ate in the following restaurants and our thoughts:

Our favorite was Forrettabarinn Restaurant. Great fish and local Icelandic plates delicious and the presented plate looked like a cook book picture. Open kitchen and can get quite crowded so make reservations. We made all our reservations for the fine dining through Tripadvisor. This restaurant was our local guides favorite. It is located exactly across the street from our hotel (and yours).

Icelandic Fish and Chips was great for lunch(s). Located about a block from the hotel and specializes in you guessed it FISH and CHIPS. You select the type of fish which rotates depending on what is purchased from the docks 2 minutes away. You get two pieces of fish fried so well you can't believe it was done in oil. Also the menu is kind of a la carte and select your sides. There is also a preselected combo for a set price. Loved it for lunch. You pay as you leave and tell the host what you ate.

Geyser Bistro is convient to the hotel and has a great selection for lunch. Large plates and fresh items. Post and beam interior looks as if it was a reclaimed warehouse.

Reykjavik Restaurant was one of the dinner spots for our group. Seafood buffet which was huge and many items. Great meal and prompt attentive service.

Our guide seemed to know so many people for she does live in Reykjavik proper. The second younger guide who specialized with the kids also lived in the next town.

A nice walk along the waterfront you come upon a magnificent building the Harpa Concert Hall. It is the main concert venue for Iceland and the building is glass windows that are electrified with lights that change each panel to a specific color. Pink for breast cancer etc. It is open to walk around and a small restaurant for coffee or light fare is inside.

The Hallgrimskirkja Church is the one seen in most pictures and located at the top of the hill and a good look out spot.

There is a small hot dog trailer that people line up to get some fare. It is one of the most popular lunch spots in town.

One major tip I can give you is bring LOTS OF MONEY!!!! Food is extremely expensive since most everything is flown or shipped in outside the fish and lamb and a few veggies. Foods are taxed 11% and all other items are taxed 24%. WOW!!! The tax is folded into the finished price but that price dwarfs the continental European prices IMO. You can get your tax monies returned at the airport BUT you must ask for a particular receipt from the vendor for a regular receipt will not be accepted. They don't make it easy folks. The line at the time we left was so long we gave up and "donated" our refunds. Talk to the guide first thing so they can advise you on the proper way to do the refund. Sweaters were averaging about $300.00 or so and you must shop to compare the style and weight. They also produce a local down feather comforter from local geese and if you get to see how they are made it is fascinating. They collect the feathers from the nests and don't harm the birds. Really warm and light. We took a card from a store and contemplating ordering on through the mail.

There is also a "Reykjavikfoodwalk.com" that is available but we did not participate.

Bike tours as well as segway tours through www.icelandbike.com

Also a "hop on hop off bus with free wifi and ticket good for 24 hours. Did not use.

flybys airport transfers can also be used to get to the city from the airport at www.flybus.IS.

Day tours can be booked throughReykjavik Excursions Kynnisferdir at www.RE.IS.

Don't forget LOTS OF MONEY OR UP YOUR CREDIT CARD LIMITS.....One U.S. dollar was basically equal to 1000 Icelandic dollars. The local bank can exchange money and there is a bank about 4 blocks from the hotel.

I've been to Iceland twice, and I'd add that you can use a credit card to pay for almost everything. I did not use any cash on my last trip.

Yes to the Flybus. It's super easy and less than half the cost of a taxi. The Blue Lagoon is very touristy, but nice nonetheless. If you want to go without ABD, you'll need to pre-book tickets, which sell out in advance, for a certain admission time.

Goecco has good excursions also. When we were there as a family, we did Viking portraits at Mink Photography. http://mink.is I can't recommend him highly enough. He costumed the North of the Wall characters for GOT, and the pictures are portrait quality, not RenFair dress up pictures. We came home with some awesome pictures of the family, and our Christmas cards that year were the bomb! LOL

Yes to Icelandic hotdogs! Yes to the food walking tour. It was delightful and we ate non-stop all afternoon.

There is a hand knitting association store in Rey where you can get one of a kind handmade sweaters from locals. FYI, I found the local wool to be super scratchy. The local company, Icewear, has a factory store in Vik, near the black sand beach, that has better prices than other stores. Their gloves, mittens, and ear warmers make great gifts as they are reasonably priced and useful even if you don't live in the arctic.

Bring waterproof layers if you are going to spend any amount of time outside. Do not bring an umbrella - it will be eaten by the wind. Bring warm clothes even in the summer. We were there June 1st and had down coats, hats, gloves, scarves. Layers are key as it can easily go from sunshine to sideways sleet every 10 minutes.

Iceland is amazing. My kids joke that I"m going to retire there. It may not be fully a joke.

One item that was disturbing was the airport when we left to come back to the U.S.. Check in and security was a breeze as was going through passport control. Then it happened! The gates. The airport is very overwhelmed or at least when we were there. Gates too close together and not too much seating. People to ask questions were no where to be found. People line up in front of their departing gate and those lines intermingle and wind willy-nilly. Our flight was 45 minutes late and then we passed the attendant to scan our boarding pass to again wait in line to board a bus. Squeeze into a bus and drive out to the runway to climb stairs much like you see in the great age of propeller airline flying, Give yourself plenty of time to get onto the plane. The beginning of July seems to be the time so many tours are finishing up and swarms to the airport. They really seem overwhelmed. One thing that the airport got right is that you walk through the dirt shop to get to the gates just like Disney World.

I think she meant Duty Free (darn autocorrect!) Of note, you also go thru Duty Free on the way out to get your luggage coming in to the country. It's the best place to buy alcohol, as it's very expensive everywhere else, if you want some beer or wine for your stay.

And yes, the airport is swamped. It has not grown with the growth in tourism.

Dirt shop? THOse pesky Russians are now taking over my spell check...funny for there is little or no dirt in Iceland. I meant "gift" shop.

Dirt...duty...gift. It all goes together! It sounds like you had a great time. So jealous myself. Trying to think how I can get there again when it's green. I was there this past March, but want to go in summer again. Fingers crossed...

My husband and I just booked the 7/14 trip. This will be our first ABD.
My DH and I will be on this trip as well. We have only been on 1 other ABD trip and that was to the Grand Canyon in 2008. We took our two youngest with us, but as they are now "grown" it will just be the two of us. The trip then was fabulous so we are looking forward to another experience with ABD.

We'll be on the trip with you!
Wow, 18th ABD. We are hoping to be able to travel more in 3 years when my DH retires at age 60. Work just doesn't understand the need for Disney multiple times a year, for at least a week or more at a time. Your son will turn 15, just wait my son just turned 25. Time flies like pixie dust.

Wow, 18th ABD. We are hoping to be able to travel more in 3 years when my DH retires at age 60. Work just doesn't understand the need for Disney multiple times a year, for at least a week or more at a time. Your son will turn 15, just wait my son just turned 25. Time flies like pixie dust.
We are trying to squeeze in as much together time as we can before he's off to college!! <3 It goes by SO fast, doesn't it?!

We are trying to squeeze in as much together time as we can before he's off to college!! <3 It goes by SO fast, doesn't it?!

I get that... we have three trips planned for this year. Trying to get in as many as we can before the girls leave for college as well.

This showed up in my inbox yesterday:

A premium visit to the Blue Lagoon is included in your client's upcoming Iceland vacation. Your assistance in communicating this information is appreciated.
The best way for them to experience this magical thermal bath is independently, upon their arrival to Iceland rather than in a group. Therefore, we will happily schedule their visit on their ARRIVAL DAY into Reykjavik from KEF (Keflavik International Airport) regardless of whether they plan to arrive for a pre-tour stay or arrive on Day 1 of the Adventures by Disney vacation. Please note that the Blue Lagoon opens at 8 am every day of the week, rain or shine. Therefore, if their international flight arrives very early in the morning, we will arrange their transfer to the Blue Lagoon to coincide with this opening hour. It will be more comfortable and convenient for them to wait at the airport rather than outside the lagoon during this pre-opening time.

ACTION REQUIRED: In order for us to be able to ensure a seamless and hassle free visit for your clients, it is critical for us to receive their accurate flight arrival information no later than 3 months. We recommend booking their flights as soon as possible to secure optimal flight times and pricing. In order to optimize their visit at the Blue Lagoon it is recommended that their flight arrive no later than 10:30am

Premium entry to the Blue Lagoon includes:
•Expedited entrance (avoid the line!)
•Use of a bathrobe
•Use of a towel
•Flip flops (keep for use later in the trip!)
•Beverage from the lagoon’s swim-up bar
•Algae and silica mask to be used while in the lagoon
•Lunch at the LAVA Restaurant with a glass of sparkling wine
•Luggage safekeeping while you enjoy the lagoon

Tips on how best to prepare and experience the Blue Lagoon:
•Packing: we recommend that you pack any items you wish to use or wear while at the Blue Lagoon in your carry-on luggage so that it is easily retrievable. This will avoid you having to go into your checked luggage for such.
•What to bring/wear to the Blue Lagoon: bathing suit, swim cap (optional), toiletry items (showers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and hair dryers are provided), sunglasses, sunscreen, change of clothes and a credit card for optional shopping in the gift shop or additional dining purchases from the café. While we do not recommend the use of cameras or cell phones while in the lagoon, you may want to have zip lock bags handy or bring your own waterproof cases should you decide to take them into the lagoon.
•Upon entry to the Blue Lagoon, identify yourself as a Guest with Adventures by Disney. While the staff at the Blue Lagoon should be aware of your package inclusions, we recommend retaining this letter and keeping it handy in case you might need to provide it for verification. Once you have received your wrist band, bathrobe, towel, and flip flops you may proceed to the lockers for showering and changing (note that there are separate locker areas and changing rooms for men and women but that you are all together for the lagoon experience). There is an attendant in the locker rooms to assist with the use of the complimentary lockers.
•Hair care: while the geothermal water in the lagoon will not harm your hair, it will make it extremely dry. Therefore, we suggest that you try not to get your hair wet (do not go underwater) and that you pre-condition your hair (there is complimentary conditioner in the shower areas) before entering the lagoon. You may also choose to bring and wear your own swim cap
•Silica & Algae mask treatments: these are included in your premium visit and are located in the “treatment” hut in the middle of the lagoon. Your wrist band identifies these inclusions.
•In-lagoon beverage: you may receive this from the swim-up bar located in the lagoon. Your wrist band identifies this inclusion.
•Other lagoon amenities: use of the sauna and steam rooms are included. Also, be sure to check out the in-lagoon waterfall!
•Massages: in-water massages are not included in your visit. You may choose this additional option with an advanced reservation. Visit this link for additional information: http://www.bluelagoon.com/things-to-do/in-water-massage/ •Lunch: A 12:00 pm lunch reservation has been made in your name at the LAVA Restaurant. Upon arrival to the Blue Lagoon, identify yourself and that you are a Guest with Adventures by Disney to re-confirm your reservation time. Based on the restaurant’s availability, you may request a different reservation time. This is a lovely restaurant and you will not want to rush your meal. We recommend allowing a full hour for your dining experience while keeping in mind your transfer time of 1:30 pm (see below). While it is acceptable to enter the restaurant in your bathrobe and then continue to enjoy the lagoon after lunch, you may choose to shower and change prior to lunch given your early afternoon transfer time.
•Transfers are included in your vacation both from the KEF airport to the Blue Lagoon and then from the Blue Lagoon to your Reykjavik hotel. During your visit to the Blue Lagoon, your driver will retain and look after your checked luggage. Please note that you may be grouped with other Adventures by Disney Guests scheduled to arrive at or around the same time as you.
•Your transfer from the Blue Lagoon to your Reykjavik hotel will be scheduled at 1:30 pm. The drive to Reykjavik is approximately 45 minutes. Your driver will confirm this for you and advise you of the pick-up location.
•Your transfer to Reykjavik has been arranged to the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina. If you have independently arranged a pre-stay at a different Reykjavik center hotel, please be sure that the attached form indicates such and also please re-confirm this information to your driver. Please note that we are happy to extend this service but that it is limited to hotels located in the city center of Reykjavik.
•Further information about the Blue Lagoon: http://www.bluelagoon.com

Sincerely,
The Cast and Guides
Adventures by Disney

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence.
PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your adventure.

This showed up in my inbox yesterday:

A premium visit to the Blue Lagoon is included in your client's upcoming Iceland vacation. Your assistance in communicating this information is appreciated.
The best way for them to experience this magical thermal bath is independently, upon their arrival to Iceland rather than in a group. Therefore, we will happily schedule their visit on their ARRIVAL DAY into Reykjavik from KEF (Keflavik International Airport) regardless of whether they plan to arrive for a pre-tour stay or arrive on Day 1 of the Adventures by Disney vacation. Please note that the Blue Lagoon opens at 8 am every day of the week, rain or shine. Therefore, if their international flight arrives very early in the morning, we will arrange their transfer to the Blue Lagoon to coincide with this opening hour. It will be more comfortable and convenient for them to wait at the airport rather than outside the lagoon during this pre-opening time.

ACTION REQUIRED: In order for us to be able to ensure a seamless and hassle free visit for your clients, it is critical for us to receive their accurate flight arrival information no later than 3 months. We recommend booking their flights as soon as possible to secure optimal flight times and pricing. In order to optimize their visit at the Blue Lagoon it is recommended that their flight arrive no later than 10:30am

Premium entry to the Blue Lagoon includes:
•Expedited entrance (avoid the line!)
•Use of a bathrobe
•Use of a towel
•Flip flops (keep for use later in the trip!)
•Beverage from the lagoon’s swim-up bar
•Algae and silica mask to be used while in the lagoon
•Lunch at the LAVA Restaurant with a glass of sparkling wine
•Luggage safekeeping while you enjoy the lagoon

Tips on how best to prepare and experience the Blue Lagoon:
•Packing: we recommend that you pack any items you wish to use or wear while at the Blue Lagoon in your carry-on luggage so that it is easily retrievable. This will avoid you having to go into your checked luggage for such.
•What to bring/wear to the Blue Lagoon: bathing suit, swim cap (optional), toiletry items (showers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and hair dryers are provided), sunglasses, sunscreen, change of clothes and a credit card for optional shopping in the gift shop or additional dining purchases from the café. While we do not recommend the use of cameras or cell phones while in the lagoon, you may want to have zip lock bags handy or bring your own waterproof cases should you decide to take them into the lagoon.
•Upon entry to the Blue Lagoon, identify yourself as a Guest with Adventures by Disney. While the staff at the Blue Lagoon should be aware of your package inclusions, we recommend retaining this letter and keeping it handy in case you might need to provide it for verification. Once you have received your wrist band, bathrobe, towel, and flip flops you may proceed to the lockers for showering and changing (note that there are separate locker areas and changing rooms for men and women but that you are all together for the lagoon experience). There is an attendant in the locker rooms to assist with the use of the complimentary lockers.
•Hair care: while the geothermal water in the lagoon will not harm your hair, it will make it extremely dry. Therefore, we suggest that you try not to get your hair wet (do not go underwater) and that you pre-condition your hair (there is complimentary conditioner in the shower areas) before entering the lagoon. You may also choose to bring and wear your own swim cap
•Silica & Algae mask treatments: these are included in your premium visit and are located in the “treatment” hut in the middle of the lagoon. Your wrist band identifies these inclusions.
•In-lagoon beverage: you may receive this from the swim-up bar located in the lagoon. Your wrist band identifies this inclusion.
•Other lagoon amenities: use of the sauna and steam rooms are included. Also, be sure to check out the in-lagoon waterfall!
•Massages: in-water massages are not included in your visit. You may choose this additional option with an advanced reservation. Visit this link for additional information: http://www.bluelagoon.com/things-to-do/in-water-massage/ •Lunch: A 12:00 pm lunch reservation has been made in your name at the LAVA Restaurant. Upon arrival to the Blue Lagoon, identify yourself and that you are a Guest with Adventures by Disney to re-confirm your reservation time. Based on the restaurant’s availability, you may request a different reservation time. This is a lovely restaurant and you will not want to rush your meal. We recommend allowing a full hour for your dining experience while keeping in mind your transfer time of 1:30 pm (see below). While it is acceptable to enter the restaurant in your bathrobe and then continue to enjoy the lagoon after lunch, you may choose to shower and change prior to lunch given your early afternoon transfer time.
•Transfers are included in your vacation both from the KEF airport to the Blue Lagoon and then from the Blue Lagoon to your Reykjavik hotel. During your visit to the Blue Lagoon, your driver will retain and look after your checked luggage. Please note that you may be grouped with other Adventures by Disney Guests scheduled to arrive at or around the same time as you.
•Your transfer from the Blue Lagoon to your Reykjavik hotel will be scheduled at 1:30 pm. The drive to Reykjavik is approximately 45 minutes. Your driver will confirm this for you and advise you of the pick-up location.
•Your transfer to Reykjavik has been arranged to the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina. If you have independently arranged a pre-stay at a different Reykjavik center hotel, please be sure that the attached form indicates such and also please re-confirm this information to your driver. Please note that we are happy to extend this service but that it is limited to hotels located in the city center of Reykjavik.
•Further information about the Blue Lagoon: http://www.bluelagoon.com

Sincerely,
The Cast and Guides
Adventures by Disney

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence.
PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your adventure.
Thanks for posting this! I haven't gotten this email yet. (But I'm traveling in September). I was wondering how this was going to work!

Is there a update for this for this year?
An update of what for this year?

...and the best part of the Blue Lagoon is a SWIM UP BAR!!!!!!!! CHEERS!
:rotfl: Should be fun!

Sayhello

The Blue Lagoon has no waiting area outside the glass doors at the entrance. It stands "in the middle of nowhere" and the lagoon is all there is. The lagoon company is building a hotel near the attraction but is in the construction phase. There are "shower police" that make sure you shower properly and if you don't you will not be allowed to enter the pool. The waters do dry out your skin so definitely take advantage of the skin moisturizer after your shower. It makes sense that it would be scheduled upon arrival for the lagoon is located closer to the airport than the city of Reykjavik. Our Nat. Geo trip scheduled the same first day but went as a group. Great time.

The Blue Lagoon has no waiting area outside the glass doors at the entrance. It stands "in the middle of nowhere" and the lagoon is all there is. The lagoon company is building a hotel near the attraction but is in the construction phase. There are "shower police" that make sure you shower properly and if you don't you will not be allowed to enter the pool. The waters do dry out your skin so definitely take advantage of the skin moisturizer after your shower. It makes sense that it would be scheduled upon arrival for the lagoon is located closer to the airport than the city of Reykjavik. Our Nat. Geo trip scheduled the same first day but went as a group. Great time.
I've read that the new area should be open spring of 2018, so hopefully it will be available by next summer. This could be a pain for people arriving at 5 o'clock in the morning or something... :( Otherwise, it sounds like a great way to start a trip. (Although I'm really glad to have heard ahead of time how much the water dries you out, especially your *hair*. I can't imagine having dry, fried hair for a whole vacation!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!