ID for drinks at Disney?

TigerE

Mouseketeer
What do you normally carry in Disney? Would a driver's license and a copy of the passport suffice or do I really need to carry the original passport with me? Thank you! (We are in our 40s in case this matters ....).

i just searched this on the Mom's Panel yesterday and you can use both your original driver's license and photocopy or a digital picture of your passport as proof of age to purchase drinks :)

Thank yoU! That helps! Among other things, we are doing Epcot evening after a water park and were really hoping that we can get drinks in Epcot without passports!

I figured a kid in tow and a look that says "I need a drink" would suffice. Guess not...

LOL. Last time we were in the U.S., in a college town, I got asked for my passport in a restaurant (which I didn't have, but only had my driver's license). My then 8-year old couldn't understand what that was about and concluded that one had to be an American to get a treat, so she asked the server if she can still get a desert even though she lives in Canada. (I actually did get my glass of wine after that ;-)).

I've never been asked for ID at Epcot. In my 50's now but was going there in my early 40's. Thought never even crossed my mind.

I have been id'd a couple of times at grocery stores down there by the 16yo cashiers (always the really young ones who do this), but I figure that is a store thing where they ID everybody who buys beer/wine.

We just came back from DLR today and we haven't been asked for ID when ordering drinks at Trader Sam and Jazz Kitchen but we had our Nexus cards on us just in case.

So, if I don't want my boys to drink their way around World Showcase, I just don't remind them to bring their passport (or photocopy of) with them to the park. It wouldn't ever cross my mind to bring ID to get a drink (at my age anyway). Here in Ontario, the boys just need their photo DL to get served. Oh well that will be one little thing I overlooked in all my preparations. Oops!

A couple of years ago during F&W at Epcot they refused our Quebec Driver's license and wanted a passport for ID.

I've never been asked but in my 40s now. I always carry my Ont Driver's Licence and colour-copy of my passport. Like PP mentioned, very young cashiers or CMs may ask because they are hyper-vigilant having just completed training. I was carded in my local Ont Walmart last year by a very young & nervous 20-something. It made my day :-). Of course, after a long hard day in the sun at WDW, being refused service for my La Cava Margarita would not be a thrill. I think by law international guests must carry photo ID in Florida anyway. Better safe than sorry.

A couple of years ago during F&W at Epcot they refused our Quebec Driver's license and wanted a passport for ID.
I've heard of this happening. Mostly to guests from Europe. Technically, think CMs can demand to see your original passport for service. If the CM is more experienced, and can easily read an English-language ID, they are more lenient. YMMV.

I was asked for ID buying a drink at Restaurantosaurus in AK once...and I was in my early 30's at the time. I guess the Stitch ears disguised my true age...

I've only every carried my driver's license as ID in the parks... Is this a new thing to need a passport too? I'm in my 20's but am often mistaken for a teenager, but I've never had a problem ordering drinks.

I’m in my early 30s and have been denied being served when I only have my drivers license and don’t have my passport on me. One server advised me that even having a photo of my passport on my phone would be sufficient.

I had some concern about this prior to our last trip, because everything I read insisted that policy was to always ID everyone, regardless of age, and that a passport (or copy) was absolutely required.

We had a dining plan. My mother, husband, and I (age range 40-62) each had a drink with dinner every night of a 7 day trip. None of us were ever asked to show ID of any kind.

Like all things Disney, it's probably a YMMV thing. My guess is that for those of us who can no longer reasonably be mistaken for a teenager, being asked to show ID is possible, but rare. And the insistence on a passport would be rarer still.

Just back from the world. DS23 (he's tall but doesn't look older) drank his way through Epcot and AK with just his drivers licence. I had a photocopy of his passport but he promptly lost that. First place he tried with just his licence was Canada pavilion with a CM from BC. She looked at his drivers licence, questioned him about it then poured his drink. He wasn't asked for more than his licence anywhere else. I know this isn't policy but it was his experience.

If you plan on having a drink at AMC Disney Springs Theatre on the regular movies side or in the Dine-In Theatres side, you MUST have your passport with you no matter how old you are. They will remind you that they are not a Disney company and have their own policies. They felt so bad for me last year that they told me to grab a traveller drink at Splitsville and "sneak" it into the movie. :confused3

I had my drivers license which worked fine. But I think some of my gray hairs gave me a free pass on the id check ;)

Our experience during Food and Wine last September with my son who was 21 (but definitely looks older) was license and copy of passport on his phone. We asked why a driver's license was not enough ID and a CM explained that they cannot just accept a DL because each state/province has different looking DL's and it is confusing for the CM's. We were also told that they can lose their job if they serve someone who is under age.

I have never had an issue using my Ontario driver's license at QS and TS locations. I have never tried or been required to use it at Food and Wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!