If it were just the hotels would u still go?

tenneycjt

DIS Veteran
So apparantly for some reason Aulani in hawaii is still open, The duoo on you tube are posting videos, If teh hotels of the disneyland resort were open would u still go. I dont really understand aulani, just a hotel right why would people pay for no rides or no attractions for 4 or 5 days. I dont know what i would do there. I love the GCh and disneyland hotel. I guess if downtown disney were open it might be worth it, What does everyone think?

In my opinion Disneyland and WDW are theme park destinations with the hotels there to give the theme park visitors a place to stay. Without the theme parks, there is no reason for me to pay a huge amount of money to stay at a Disney hotel. Aulani has never had a theme park associated with it. You know what you are getting before you go there. Aulani is a DVC reort and would not exist without DVC.

Aulani is a resort location, it's never had rides or attractions. It has the Disney theme and characters but it's mainly a "tropical resort" and beach, that's the whole reason people go there.

Would I pay $495/night for the Disneyland Hotel to walk around some shops and restaurants? Absolutely not... possible if it was like $99/night or less since I do enjoy the atmosphere there, the Tiki bar, the Disney soundtracks playing everywhere and the theming... but no way ANYWHERE near rack rates or even discount rates... if they still wanted $300 to $500 a night they would need to offer some great incentive, like for every 2 nights now you got 1 night free good anytime for the next year in an upgraded room and a bunch of fastpasses or 50% off park tickets or renewal of an FlexPass or something.

I would visit Trader Sam's at DLH and drink until closing, but then I would Uber back to my reasonably priced accommodations a few miles away. No way I'm paying those prices without the theme parks to visit.

Now if they cut DLH rooms to $150 per night while the parks were closed, then maybe. But Disney would never, ever do that.

I would not go for just the hotels at Disneyland, Disney World maybe under the right circumstances, but not Disneyland.

Hawaii resident here. Aulani is open, however most of its restaurants are closed or available for take-out only. Entertainment events (like the luau) are closed. Our Governor is asking visitors not to come to Hawaii for the next 30 days. (They are considering a 14-day quarantine for every tourist who arrives here. Yikes!)

From the Disney Aulani website:
"Aulani Resort is open. In line with state guidance, in an abundance of caution and in the best interests of our Guests and Cast Members, some offerings will be closed starting Friday, March 20, 2020."

Here the offerings that are closed:
  • KA WA’A Lū’au
  • Makahiki –The Bounty of the Islands
  • ‘AMA‘AMA – Contemporary Island Cooking
  • The ’Ōlelo Room
  • Little ‘Opihi's – Beachside Kiosk
  • Aunty’s Beach House
  • Laniwai – A Disney Spa
  • Painted Sky: HI Style Studio
  • Mikimiki Fitness Center
  • Disney Vacation Club Preview Center
The following operational modifications will also take place:
  • Off the Hook and Wailana Pool Bar will continue to be open with no bar seating. The poolside menu will continue to be offered from those locations via takeout service only.
  • Kālepa’s Store and Hale Manu boutique will limit the number of people allowed in the stores at any given time.
  • Pau Hana Room – Community Hall will remain open. However, all premium and free programming will be suspended.

Last edited:
I think those videos are from a trip they took a week or more ago. I thought I remember reading on Instagram that they wanted to enjoy their trip without social media and would be posting after their trip was done.

Hawaii resident here. Aulani is open, however most of its restaurants are closed or available for take-out only. Entertainment events (like the luau) are closed. Our Governor is asking visitors not to come to Hawaii for the next 30 days. (They are considering a 14-day quarantine for every tourist who arrives here. Yikes!)

From the Disney Aulani website:
"Aulani Resort is open. In line with state guidance, in an abundance of caution and in the best interests of our Guests and Cast Members, some offerings will be closed starting Friday, March 20, 2020."

Here the offerings that are closed:
  • KA WA’A Lū’au
  • Makahiki –The Bounty of the Islands
  • ‘AMA‘AMA – Contemporary Island Cooking
  • The ’Ōlelo Room
  • Little ‘Opihi's – Beachside Kiosk
  • Aunty’s Beach House
  • Laniwai – A Disney Spa
  • Painted Sky: HI Style Studio
  • Mikimiki Fitness Center
  • Disney Vacation Club Preview Center
The following operational modifications will also take place:
  • Off the Hook and Wailana Pool Bar will continue to be open with no bar seating. The poolside menu will continue to be offered from those locations via takeout service only.
  • Kālepa’s Store and Hale Manu boutique will limit the number of people allowed in the stores at any given time.
  • Pau Hana Room – Community Hall will remain open. However, all premium and free programming will be suspended.

Interesting. Kenny the Pirate sent an email saying it was closing. I didn’t read the full article.... maybe he just meant restaurants etc. I should’ve read the entire thing!

If money were not an issue, I would go to Aulani for a few days. There's the water slides, beach, luau, character greetings, etc.
Once you visit the Disney parks frequently enough, things like character greetings, smaller hotel activities, etc are good alternate things to do. If I had the money, I'd be staying at the Miracosta right now to watch the rehearsals and finale of shows.

I've also stayed at the Disneyland hotel during a conference at the Anahiem convention center which was a lot more fun than staying at a boring old convention hotel. If you had to book a hotel in the area anyway for whatever reason, it could be worth it to pay a bit extra to do a Disney one.

I also know some collectors who stay at the hotels in Hong Kong every season to get the in-room amenities (most also live in Hong Kong so it's not like they need to book a hotel to visit the park). These seasonal items rarely end up for sale on the internet so people have to stay at the hotel to get them.

You would have to be crazy to spend $700 a dollars a night to be couped up in a cramped hotel room at the Grand without going to the parks.

I sure hope this is a exercise in the hypothetical because this is the same thinking that has all idiots, um sorry , people that see cheap airfare and are crowding onto beaches in Florida right now. The same mentality that says as long as i get my gratification it doesn't matter that I could get sick and then pass that onto others when I return home. Thinking of the collective good is what we need right now. Sorry if this offends anyone.

If the parks are closed, it means there's still a good reason to avoid non-essential gatherings. That includes hotel lobbies, restaurants, shops, etc. All Californians are supposed to be staying in their homes right now as much as possible. Even if the hotels are open, why take the risk of touching lobby doors, counters and chairs. If the plan is to just check in and stay in the room, what's the point of going? That's just how I see it.

I posted this just as ahypothetical if it were just the hotels open and downtown disney, would you still go. Obviously no one should go now. Last week on our last day we had checked out of the grand, and it was raining so hard outside, we went to white waters sat in front of the fireplace for an hour, in the lobby we sat in front of the piano player who was taking requests and playing disney tunes. Enjoying the ambiiance of the grand.I wonder if the grands prices are comprable to aulani?

Oddly enough, there's a story about this very thing (nearly) from Starlee Kine. When she was young, her mother thought that her kids would be kidnapped if she let them go to DL. So she took them to the DL Hotel... and wouldn't let them go any farther. Story here:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/259/promised-land/act-one-0
Yeah the great wonkakid replied to my post!!! That is a great thing though at least they got some disney magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter