If nothings available...why can I pay cash?

dtauer

Mouseketeer
Just got off the phone with Member Services. I was told there are no studios available at any of the DVC WDW locations for the week after Christmas.

However, the Disney web site, and Expedia, are both offering me studios for a cash price.

If as DVC members we "own" all of the rooms, why are they offered to the general public for cash when we can't book them.

Anyone know, or am I misunderstanding something?

We don't 'own' all the rooms - a percentage (can't remember how much) are 'owned' by Disney and can be used for cash reservations.

Someone will come along with a better explanation but anytime a member trades out side of DVC (cruise, disney hotel, II) the points the member uses are then rented out for cash.

That makes sense, thank's for the reponse. As long as there are unsold rooms at SSR, and now Animal Kingdom, there are probably cash rooms available.

Overall, it's probably good for us members if the resort can make $500/night for these rooms on a cash basis, it's just kind of discouraging right now because there is nothing available, even at SSR.

Oh well, I learned. If we ever go at Christmas again I'll need to book right at the booking window.

Grabbed a Cypress Point villa 3 bedroom at $171/night, but hoping that the wait list comes through and we won't need it.

By far, most of the DVC rooms available for cash are the result of members using their points for something other than a DVC reservation or an II trade.

A good example is a member who uses points to cruise. In order to pay DCL for the member's cruise, DVC sends the equivalent number of DVC rooms to CRO to rent to the general public. The proceeds (minus a "commission" for CRO) are used to pay for the member's cruise.

It's disappointing to see rooms available for cash when there are none to be had for points. But if you think of those rooms as member trade outs, it's a little easier to take. Without this process, members could only use their points at DVC resorts or for a trade via Interval International.

Hope your waitlist comes through for you.

I'll say the same thing slightly differently... Cash availability of a DVC room usually means that a DVC member has already used DVC points for that room -- except instead of occupying it personally, the DVC member is taking cruise or using Concierge Collection, Adventurer Collection, or Disney Collection.

Go on the waitlist for SSR. I think there's still one more building that's going to open up soon. I bet you'll get your reservation.

Good luck. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter