If the closure is extended beyond 3/31, when do you think it will be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a hard question to answer for sure with a lot of unknowns -- And some of those answers above is why I feel the tourist industry is going to be hit HARD by this virus. People just not wanting to take the risk to expose themselves if the virus is "still out there" (which it will be).

From my perspective, if Disney does have a reduced park experience, I would expect some sort of discount or extra perks on my already booked stay. Who knows .. at the same time .. I will NEED that escape come June.

Going in May/June (again ..looking at a "best-case" scenario here in regards to the virus) would mean the parks are VERY less crowded .. which is a two-fold benefit (built-in social distancing with reduced crowds).

It's a hard question to answer for sure with a lot of unknowns -- And some of those answers above is why I feel the tourist industry is going to be hit HARD by this virus. People just not wanting to take the risk to expose themselves if the virus is "still out there" (which it will be).

From my perspective, if Disney does have a reduced park experience, I would expect some sort of discount or extra perks on my already booked stay. Who knows .. at the same time .. I will NEED that escape come June.

Going in May/June (again ..looking at a "best-case" scenario here in regards to the virus) would mean the parks are VERY less crowded .. which is a two-fold benefit (built-in social distancing with reduced crowds).

If/when Disney reopens...they will come. :crowded::crowded::crowded:

We really hope to take a vacation this summer, somewhere. But, we've also agreed that if we do, it's likely going to be to a more remote location - beach cottage, mountain cabin, etc... Focus on nature, hiking, small locales that aren't tourist traps. Not a theme park/busy place location. I suspect many people may feel the same.

So .. let's just do some speculation to distract us from the "worst-case scenarios"

If you currently have a vacation planned in late May or June .. and Disney does open back up sometime in April or early May.

Do you still go?
If so .. .why?
Need the "escape"? Need the magic to help feel things are getting back to normal?

If not ... why not?
Still afraid of catching the virus?
Afraid the parks won't be running at full capacity (which I doubt they will) for a while?
Afraid the parks will just be changed from this?

I would still go if they're open in time for our May trip, unless the experience is significantly reduced. I need a vacation, WDW is my happy place. My sister and I are low risk and can avoid at-risk family members when we get back if needed.

I would still go if they're open in time for our May trip, unless the experience is significantly reduced. I need a vacation, WDW is my happy place. My sister and I are low risk and can avoid at-risk family members when we get back if needed.

Same here ! I remember after 9/11 - ( I worked very close to Ground Zero) - people were still afraid to fly - remember thinking - I NEED this vacation right now , and so glad we went !

Same here ! I remember after 9/11 - ( I worked very close to Ground Zero) - people were still afraid to fly - remember thinking - I NEED this vacation right now , and so glad we went !

9/11 was a little different since it was pretty much just a single event. and after it was over we beefed up security to the point where it was much safer to fly then it was before 9/11. i got stuck on the other side of the country for a work trip when it happened and while I was a litlle nervous flying back seeing all the securty and he marines with M-16s at the airport made me pretty comfortable. I really thnk the danger was very small. This thing go may hang around and be a problem for months and months and going to make peoplle concerned about going to any large events until we know it's fully under control. I have no clue what the endgame of this looks like and how we get back to being comfortable in large crowds.

So .. let's just do some speculation to distract us from the "worst-case scenarios"

If you currently have a vacation planned in late May or June .. and Disney does open back up sometime in April or early May.

Do you still go?
If so .. .why?
Need the "escape"? Need the magic to help feel things are getting back to normal?

If not ... why not?
Still afraid of catching the virus?
Afraid the parks won't be running at full capacity (which I doubt they will) for a while?
Afraid the parks will just be changed from this?

Scheduled for May 16-23 with entire fam...11 of us including kids, spouses, sig-o's, and grandkids. Yep, we're going. My two sons are on active duty and are deploying later this year. We threaded the needle to get these dates and we have no idea when we'll be able to get together again. So assuming the military travel ban is lifted when they say, and the resort opens, we'll be there.

I pity the virus that gets between my wife and her grandkids.

This is what I get such a kick out of - you are contagious before symptoms appear, including any fever. So temperature testing is an absolute waste of time. It's just a "feel-good" measure, makes people think they're doing something. The reality is, they might stop one person who has a fever, but they already let through a dozen asymptomatic, contagious people.
granted different and years ago but I know a family that got their vacation to Disney extended by over a week both of kids came down with chicken pox 4 days apart. up till first kid broke out they were in the park each day so there were at least a couple of days of exposing whole park even though not known but family did go down knowing the kids were in the middle of an exposure

9/11 was a little different since it was pretty much just a single event. and after it was over we beefed up security to the point where it was much safer to fly then it was before 9/11. i got stuck on the other side of the country for a work trip when it happened and while I was a litlle nervous flying back seeing all the securty and he marines with M-16s at the airport made me pretty comfortable. I really thnk the danger was very small. This thing go may hang around and be a problem for months and months and going to make peoplle concerned about going to any large events until we know it's fully under control. I have no clue what the endgame of this looks like and how we get back to being comfortable in large crowds.

I understand two totally separate events- was basically talking from a mindset perspective of really needing a vacation

We have a July 1-10 trip planned. We talk about it at least once a day. We HOPE they are open. If so, we are committed to going. The kids keep talking about Star Wars Land (a 5 and a 2 year old. They spent a single day in it back in December and can't wait to see the Storm Troopers and 'Lenium Falcon). The 5 year old has had Kindergarten blow up on him and is REALLY struggling; while I am a teacher (HS), I can't replicate his classmates or the "fun" nature of kindergarten.

WDW won't reopen in the next 2-6 weeks as nothing will have changed, it will be much worse. The virus will be circulating still, there still won't be a vaccine and anyone mixing with 20,000+ visitors is putting themselves at risk of catching it. If fit and young they unwittingly pass it on to others or if older or with underlying conditions they may end up in hospital or dead. Life is only going to get back to normal if everyone isolates themselves for a heck of a long time and the virus dies out or a vaccine is developed. I can see the parks and bars and restaurants remaining closed until 2021 unless a miracle happens & I hope it does - maybe an existing drug can be used as a treatment, that would be a game-changer. That's our only hope for 2020. We should all be prepared to live like this for the rest of the year. Expecting the parks to reopen in April or May is crazy.

WDW won't reopen in the next 2-6 weeks as nothing will have changed, it will be much worse. The virus will be circulating still, there still won't be a vaccine and anyone mixing with 20,000+ visitors is putting themselves at risk of catching it. If fit and young they unwittingly pass it on to others or if older or with underlying conditions they may end up in hospital or dead. Life is only going to get back to normal if everyone isolates themselves for a heck of a long time and the virus dies out or a vaccine is developed. I can see the parks and bars and restaurants remaining closed until 2021 unless a miracle happens & I hope it does - maybe an existing drug can be used as a treatment, that would be a game-changer. That's our only hope for 2020. We should all be prepared to live like this for the rest of the year. Expecting the parks to reopen in April or May is crazy.

If the parks stay closed until 2021 they will never reopen.

If anything stays closed until 2021 they will never reopen.

Humanity will not shelter in place until 2021.

This disease will never go away. My opinion only -once we "flattenthecurve" there will be target re-openings, then more and more slowly to follow. If an area has another outbreak, then they will institute quarantine again.
Dr. Fauci himself said that if this virus behaves the way most viruses do (and he believe it will) all those who have gotten it will build up a sort of natural immunity where they either won't get it again, or it will be very mild. Due to that the wave next fall will be more moderate in nature.

This disease will never go away. My opinion only -once we "flattenthecurve" there will be target re-openings, then more and more slowly to follow. If an area has another outbreak, then they will institute quarantine again.
Dr. Fauci himself said that if this virus behaves the way most viruses do (and he believe it will) all those who have gotten it will build up a sort of natural immunity where they either won't get it again, or it will be very mild. Due to that the wave next fall will be more moderate in nature.
This is too true. The intent of closures is not to quarantine until the virus is completely eradicated and can no longer be passed. It's to reduce the rate of infection so that healthcare services don't become overwhelmed. I agree with you in that there will likely be phased openings with more "essential" businesses coming first. I don't think it will happen before May, but to say it won't happen until 2021 is pure hysteria.

This is exactly what we're seeing in China - slow, staged reopenings of things. I think we can very reasonably expect to see the same here. I expect the shut down to last 2-3 months (again, just looking at the patterns in other countries), and then I would guess the reopenings take another 2-3 months until everything is back up and running. But that is so iffy because we just don't have anything to model that scenario after yet. And it'll depend on how Covid behaves once people start going out and about again. I will say, I can see the shut down lasting longer in US than China, because of the lack of enforcement. Too many people are disregarding the recommendations, which will only drag this out for everyone. Here's looking at you spring breakers.

We get it, Disney (the company we know and most of us love) would be in peril or in bankruptcy, but those parks won't vanish off the map in 2021 if there are no visitors.

They will eventually be a vacation destination again whenever we move pass this calamity.

We get it, Disney (the company we know and most of us love) would be in peril or in bankruptcy, but those parks won't vanish off the map in 2021 if there are no visitors.

They will eventually be a vacation destination again whenever we move pass this calamity.

That was my point.

Even if (and it isn't going to happen) Disney completely folded somebody would buy the disney parks and other disney assetts. They are too valuable to just go away. Those parks would not go the way of Six Flags New Orleans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!