If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

It took me a second thought too-- yeah, they must be. I wonder how illuminations is from the lounge in epcot? Can you even see it?... I don't think so.

No at Epcot...it's on the backside and wasn't a "viewing" location if I recall.

Here's the thing...contemporary is sorts neat for the height...but it wasn't meant to be a $200 a night "amenity"...the angles are all
Off based on the launch banks and you look at the magic kingdom
Service areas behind tomorrowland/Main Street. People's sense of reality/expectations are too low...as we know.

No at Epcot...it's on the backside and wasn't a "viewing" location if I recall.

Here's the thing...contemporary is sorts neat for the height...but it wasn't meant to be a $200 a night "amenity"...the angles are all
Service areas behind tomorrowland/Main Street. People's sense of reality/expectations are too low...as we know.

There is something to that view though - perhaps not worth $200/night, but even beyond for the fireworks, waking up and having a cup of coffee on your balcony as you watch the Magic Kingdom "wake up" is really neat and fun to do once on a splurge.

But I agree, the angle isn't the best for the "perfect" view of any of the fireworks, but it is a fun alternative take. Plus, nice to be out on the observation deck with a glass of wine in your hands and have room to stretch, etc.

Don't get me wrong, boys...there IS something to the view.

I think @TheMaxRebo has it nailed: it's always been the "wake up"...that is the best part about on property. I prefer running...but my favorite places/times are the crescent lake area and downtown pre-opening...been outfront at MGM many times and since magic bands have been running through the showcase on a couple occasions...which is technically a no-no but it's happened.

I like the views as much as the next cat. But in the case of contemporary...they've increased the cost tenfold over its history and THEN added About $200 a night for "views"...the economics are off and I can't ignore that. And it's not a experiment in Laisse Faire...just consumer mentality out of whack.

But I digress...point is that the only "true" fireworks views - because they design them based on angles and launch points...is like Tongo or Fiji at the poly...which is a little bit too low. That dvc tower that they're gonna build, however? Bigtime point upcharges for that..."hypothetically"

Don't get me wrong, boys...there IS something to the view.

I think @TheMaxRebo has it nailed: it's always been the "wake up"...that is the best part about on property. I prefer running...but my favorite places/times are the crescent lake area and downtown pre-opening...been outfront at MGM many times and since magic bands have been running through the showcase on a couple occasions...which is technically a no-no but it's happened.

I like the views as much as the next cat. But in the case of contemporary...they've increased the cost tenfold over its history and THEN added About $200 a night for "views"...the economics are off and I can't ignore that. And it's not a experiment in Laisse Faire...just consumer mentality out of whack.

But I digress...point is that the only "true" fireworks views - because they design them based on angles and launch points...is like Tongo or Fiji at the poly...which is a little bit too low. That dvc tower that they're gonna build, however? Bigtime point upcharges for that..."hypothetically"

I would add the TTC Ferry Dock gives a pretty good view nearly straight on and they do pipe in the music. Here are a couple of photos - the second is obviously zoomed in a bit - but you can really get a sense of how high some of the fireworks are from here

07_Fireworks 3.jpg 09_Fireworks 5.jpg

I would add the TTC Ferry Dock gives a pretty good view nearly straight on and they do pipe in the music. Here are a couple of photos - the second is obviously zoomed in a bit - but you can really get a sense of how high some of the fireworks are from here

View attachment 277833 View attachment 277834

Right...good point...

Which is attached to the poly and the "tentative" plans that hit the Internet before the poly dvc construction had the footprint of a 10+ story building directly in line with the space between the ferry dock and the edge of the poly longhouses...

Heck of a "coincidence", huh?

Agreed, at CR.

Although starting at around $100 a night in dues-BLT MK View has been one of our fave's. The "upcharge" from the lake view starts at 2 points-$11 a night in dues.

We don't do it as much for the fireworks though, more like others have said-waking up to see and hear it all come alive from the balcony.

By far we stay there for the walk to MK and back.

Agreed, at CR.

Although starting at around $100 a night in dues-BLT MK View has been one of our fave's. The "upcharge" from the lake view starts at 2 points-$11 a night in dues.

We don't do it as much for the fireworks though, more like others have said-waking up to see and hear it all come alive from the balcony.

By far we stay there for the walk to MK and back.

You know...I thought I'd like contemporary and poly a lot more than it's turned out...maybe it's the 5+ point a night..."magic kingdom fee"?

We have noticed gravitating back towards beach, boardwalk and animal kingdom...our haunts...

Gf the next time...but even there I didn't want it all and switched to beach club on a split stay.

You know...I thought I'd like contemporary and poly a lot more than it's turned out...maybe it's the 5+ point a night..."magic kingdom fee"?

We have noticed gravitating back towards beach, boardwalk and animal kingdom...our haunts...

Gf the next time...but even there I didn't want it all and switched to beach club on a split stay.

Can't blame you. BCV can't be beat, BWV right here as well. That's why we split (like your plan) with those and BLT-walk to MK (can't get that at POLY/GF/VWL).

Either way the "upcharge" at BLT MK View was part of my point-minimal.

Last edited:
Can't blame you. BCV can't be beat, BWV right here as well. That's why we split (like your plan) with those and BLT-walk to MK (can't get that at POLY/GF/VWL).

Either way the "upcharge" at BLT MK View was part of my point-minimal.

Yeah...but I'm not talking about the view...I mean the standards are about 5 points a night higher due to magic kingdom "proximity" fee...

...that's annoying me more than I thought it would. Wilderness is a better option there.

Yeah...but I'm not talking about the view...I mean the standards are about 5 points a night higher due to magic kingdom "proximity" fee...

...that's annoying me more than I thought it would. Wilderness is a better option there.

No I got that, earlier you were talking about a $200 "view" upcharge at CR. BLT only starts at 2 points.

Std BLT is less than BCV in many weeks, but yes BWV/AK std are the best deals-although we avoid AKV location.

No I got that, earlier you were talking about a $200 "view" upcharge at CR. BLT only starts at 2 points.

Std BLT is less than BCV in many weeks, but yes BWV/AK std are the best deals-although we avoid AKV location.

No I hear ya...

When the shuffled the points off the weekends and evened out the whole year calendar a little more - 5 ish years ago - it really eliminated the "cheap" studios everywhere...so that stinks overall and makes OKW, BW, etc. less of steal than they once where.

By the way, can the skyliner go through the CR? Or would it need more clearance. POLY and GF and MK and EPCOT could easily be adapted.

By the way, can the skyliner go through the CR? Or would it need more clearance. POLY and GF could easily be adapted.

That's a great question and I'm sure it's been looked at.

I think you'd probably have to remove/rework the panels to allow for the cabling to work through with clearance...maybe even add support columns just outside the structure...and they'd maybe need a new platform...or perhaps they go around it, dismantle the monorail and just leave it at that?

The net effect wouldn't be much different. The passthrough in reality isn't that big a deal.

By the way, can the skyliner go through the CR? Or would it need more clearance. POLY and GF and MK and EPCOT could easily be adapted.

That's a great question and I'm sure it's been looked at.

I think you'd probably have to remove/rework the panels to allow for the cabling to work through with clearance...maybe even add support columns just outside the structure...and they'd maybe need a new platform...or perhaps they go around it, dismantle the monorail and just leave it at that?

The net effect wouldn't be much different. The passthrough in reality isn't that big a deal.

You'd think they would be able to figure it out given they had the sky ride go through the Matterhorn and that was 50+ years ago

That would be pretty cool to be gliding through their, closer to the roof and seeing all the activity below you ... especially if they go with glass floors on the skyliner cabs

You'd think they would be able to figure it out given they had the sky ride go through the Matterhorn and that was 50+ years ago

That would be pretty cool to be gliding through their, closer to the roof and seeing all the activity below you ... especially if they go with glass floors on the skyliner cabs

Do you mean stop at the top to let guests off? Maybe a new landing pad toward the top floor more?

I suppose they could always leave a back and forth monorail, just from CR to MK. Kind of an old tribute. Then skyline the rest.

Do you mean stop at the top to let guests off? Maybe a new landing pad toward the top floor more?

Maybe, was thinking more for the travel through it, but that would be interesting if the stop was on a different floor than the monorail one to spread the crowds out

or go really crazy and have the monorail go through the Contemporary but the Skyliner stop at the top of Bay Lake Tower ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter