• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If they limit FOTL to once per ride will you still..

SnowWitch

DIS Veteran
be willing willing to pay $200 a night for onsite accomodations??? I'm curious about everyones thoughts on this.

Well, with various discounts I only pay around $120-$160 and yes, I would still pay that even with FOTL once per day. I can still get an Express Pass for each attraction which means I can ride everything twice with no wait. I don't see the need for Universal to do this in the near future, however the HRH and PBH are great hotels and it would be well worth it to stay at either one even if they did put limits on FOTL. People pay that much at Disney hotels and don't even get FOTL once a day.

As of now, the only reason I booked at an onsite hotel was the FOTL feature and that I got the Entertainment rate.

If I had to say an aswer right now, it would probably be NO, I wouldn't. I'm kind of angry that their changing this offer before I go in December.

But, I may have a different opinion after I've stayed there in December. I've never stayed onsite before and maybe I'll love it so much I won't be able to stay offsite ever again.

I do think, though, that I would not pay more than $150 for onsite hotels at Universal.

I bet you'll change your mind about paying more than $150.00 once you stay on site. Everything is so convenient and I know the PBH is worth more than that. It is my favorite hotel in the United States right now. I've been quite a few places in US and Canada and have stayed at very nice hotels, and PBH is hands down my favorite.

Not really.

I'm exhausted from all this FOTL stuff. My answer? Avoid the park in the summer and only visit in February when it's empty. At least they still run all the rides, and I hope this doesn't change. The only negative is that the park closes at 7pm, but I can get over that for the short lines.

In the news groups I read some messages where they are now selling 100 coupon books a day for $25 each with an express pass for each ride. Meaning, you don't have to use the Kiosk machines. Anyone want to confirm this??????

This is similar to something Six Flags is trying, by selling 1000 books that have 4 exit ride passes for $10 each.

Crowds are booing these people that come up the exit ramps.

It's not working. I've been saying that all along.

The people who like the system say it doesn't slow down the line for the regular people.

I say it does because I waited in line for Rip Saw Falls and it crawled until we got to the merge point where it goes down the ramps. I thought the ride was down or something, I couldn't believe how slow we we're moving. Why? Because they would let about 30 express people in, then switch back to the regular line, then back to express, and so on.

And even the Express queues have long lines.

The answer is to build more rides. But so far it seems like there are no new plans for a major ride next year because land is not being cleared, unless something spectactular happens soon.

My only other suggestion? Longer park operating hours. Open at 8am for ALL guests EVERYDAY and stay open LATER. They can't pop a new ride in for this year or next, and the express pass isn't working. But they can give the people more TIME to use the park.

I stayed at the HRH in april for the first time it was very nice but the only reason I went there was for FOTL. to compete with the big boy (Disney) they needed FOTL to draw people and I must admit it was the best part of the vacation. when I went over to disney i was spoiled by FOTL, without it I would think hard and then go to Disney.

I don't think that FOTL is the one and only reason people opt for the on-site hotels. The proximity, the themeing, the level of amenities, etc., etc. all have a bearing on the decision to stay on site.

I keep seeing indications that the USF/IOA experience (and the on-site hotels are a big part of that) is ctahcing on with more and more people. My guess is that for every person who decides NOT to stay at the on-site hotels because of FOTL limits, there will be another person who will be happy to take that room.

The Hotel may be nice and the extras are good but the main reason people pay the extra to stay on site is for the FOTL that is the reason that the ad campaign was so intense in the northeast on FOTL and we have it and Disney does not was to draw people by FOTL. and without it they will take a hit . I loved the hotel and I loved the stay but without the FOTl I would not stay there I would go to Disney.

FOTL is THE ONLY REASON we are staying at HRH!

Has the "fotl once per person" started yet?

I think a good compromise would be to limit Express Access for hotel guests to once per hour instead of once per day. For example, if you went on the Hulk at 10:45, you would not be able to use your room key for access again until 11:45. If one hour was to short, they could make it two hours. This would only effect people who really take advantage of the system by repeatedly riding the same ride over and over. If you think about it they almost need to do this. It would only take 8 families of 4 to tie up an entire train on the Hulk if they decided to repeatedly use FOTL.

All day Express access is a great perk, but I'd rather see some limits put on it if that helps everyone enjoy it more.

I have to admit, I made ressies at HRH because of the FOTL access. I can stay onsite at Disney at the Shades of Green resort for military. You just can't beat $89 a night. Anyway, the only inconvenience for us would be the drive to and from Universal. But, with this FOTL (or whatever it is called now) AND the Entertainment rate, I had no choice but to give it a try. Glad I did. Really makes a vacation having this kind of access. hmm.....once a day per ride? Well, honestly, it would still be worth it. You can just park hop to get all the rides in a day. If I really want multiple turns on one ride, I will just wait like everyone else. I can't see myself spending more than $200 a night for hotel room though. I like the idea of limiting repeat rides to once per hour.

I stayed at the HRH this month, and it is well worth it at any price
up to 200.00 per day.
The hotel is absolutely first class and the staff strives very hard to remind you of this. To be able to walk to the parks in a mere 5 minutes is fantastic. I went out to international drive a few times during my stay and it is so crowded and city like, I couldnt wait to get back to the Hard Rock. FOTL made it even better, but wouldnt be the deciding factor in staying at HRH...I am going back whether they have FOTL or not.
The pool area is super with lounge chairs and free towels for everyone, and on Saturday nights they show a movie by the pool and hand out tubes to float in while you watch it...You can see the fireworks from both Universal and Island of Adventure from the pool and it is awesome! The rooms were clean and the beds were top notch. The Sunset Grill 's Food was pricey but very good.
So to answer your question again...It is well worth the money ,
Go for it ,you wont be sorry.. :cool:

We will be at the HRH August 1 - 4. Last August we stayed at the PBH. We would not stay onsite if not for Express (FOTL), whatever. There are several very nice hotels in Orlando where you can get a better deal than onsite at UO. Although, with the Royal Palm opening, the deals may get better onsite. From reading this board, the PBH isn't usually full as it is, so I imagine with the new hotel coming on board, there will be empty rooms all around - especially if they change ride access too much. I am anxious to read Earl's weekend announcement, though. The thing is, even if they have made a decision at this time, how do we know they won't change it a month from now - seems to be how things go at Universal. Oh, well, I suppose we should just wait and see. I am keeping my fingers crossed that things don't change too much, too soon!

Nan

The only time we pay close to $200 is when we get a kidsuite. We're going again this October even though I knew they were eliminating FOTL. The Portofino is a fabulous hotel. My dh travels for a living and even he is impressed with the PBH. So the answer is YES!

I would have never paid $200 a night for a room if FOTL was not in place. I'm the guy who likes to find the cheapest available. FOTL was the key reason why I stay onsite. Now that is is limited to one ride a day, I am getting second thoughts, but if the Royal Pacific Hotel has rates of around $100 or so a night, then I would stay onsite again, regardless of FOTL.

We went in June and only went on each ride once per day anyways. With the heat FOTL let us do everything we wanted to do in the park during the morning and be back at the pool in the afternoon. We will definetly be back regardless of changes to FOTL. The proximity of HRH to parks can't be beat.

Yes I would still go back. The location and quality of the HRH are worth it. It would be nice if they could give extra access to the regular Express passes also so you could schedule 2nd rides. At least that would be another perk.
Riverview :smooth: :bounce: :tongue: :bounce: :wave:

Earl just settled the debate in a very informative post above. It is must reading for those leaving in the next several months.
Thanks again!

Without fotl i wouldnt stay onsite. There are numerous high quality hotels nearby that are alot cheaper and the main reason i stayed on site is for fotl. They had a unique system and are in the process of ruining it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter