If we buy direct, who has access to member benefits?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
If we buy direct to get member benefits who has access to those benefits? Can we buy annual passes at a discount for our kids? Or just the names on the membership (DH and I)? If so, as they get older, can we buy annual passes at a discount for them and maybe future spouses? Can we give our teen our membership card to go to the epcot lounge if we are hanging out at the hotel and he is in Epcot with a sibling etc? For some reason, our teen is especially interested in that lounge and if we buy direct, that would be one reason why. I know it is ridiculous. This is all assuming that Disney continues to offer the benefit.

According to the DVC website in terms of annual pass discount:

"As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you and and your immediate family (living in the same household) can save on select annual passes for Walt Disney World Resort in Florida."

So yes, you can get the discounts for your kids or any immediate family member as long as they are living with you...once your kids are gone you cannot get them discount (unless you add their names to your deed).

In terms of the lounge...I think your teen would only be allowed in if you or your DH are with them as you are the names on the deed.

According to the DVC website in terms of annual pass discount:

"As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you and and your immediate family (living in the same household) can save on select annual passes for Walt Disney World Resort in Florida."

So yes, you can get the discounts for your kids or any immediate family member as long as they are living with you...once your kids are gone you cannot get them discount (unless you add their names to your deed).

In terms of the lounge...I think your teen would only be allowed in if you or your DH are with them as you are the names on the deed.

Ugh. That definitely makes direct buy less appealing, but I can understand why that would be the case with the lounge.
And then I was thinking... we probably won't be able to buy the discounted tickets for them indefinitely. And 20 years down the road, I see them using it with their families without us. DH and I will be cruising at that point. lol. But they would not be able to get discounted tickets since the deed would probably still be in our name.

Do not buy based on perks, they can all go away anytime. DVC has them to make their direct prices 'look' better, but only to a blind person.

I know, and disney definitely loves taking away perks! I am easily blinded by them. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. That definitely makes direct buy less appealing, but I can understand why that would be the case with the lounge.
Ironically, with the lounge you can bring up to 5 guests per Membership Card. So a couple could bring 10 people up there.

From https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/membership-magic/epcot-members-lounge/

Important Details
  • Party size is limited to the Member and up to 5 guests per Membership Card.
  • Guests and Associates must be accompanied by a Member with a valid Membership Card and photo ID.

One other question, can we put all of our kids' names on the original deed with us? Or is that just too obvious?

You cannot put minor children on a deed as they cannot own real estate. When they are adults you can add them as owners, but there are fees associated with that.

One other question, can we put all of our kids' names on the original deed with us? Or is that just too obvious?
If you look at DVC deeds on OCC you see many with multiple names. You can read advice on older threads here about some of the reasons that may not be ideal, but certainly you can deed the purchase that way.

If you look at DVC deeds on OCC you see many with multiple names. You can read advice on older threads here about some of the reasons that may not be ideal, but certainly you can deed the purchase that way.
Thanks for directing me to read some other discussions on this, very helpful.
Okay, so I have read through some threads and see that this is a bad idea, unfortunately. My kids are good, but one is a tad selfish and I could see him getting divorced one day if things work out poorly. Lol. I am kind of joking, but who knows what the future holds. I guess there is no way around the limited access of member "discounts." Funny to see so many people have already thought of my plan! There really is nothing new under the sun. I am starting to wonder why we would buy direct?

While there are ways around it the minor can't legally sign. Effectively they can't own. I doubt DVC would recognize it even if you did if a minor was involved on the deed because it could be challenged later.
Not sure if you’re an attorney. But from everything I know, minors can own property in Florida.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fl...awyer.com/amp/acquisition_of_property_by_min/

There are certainly issues with minors entering into contracts, but typically, the issue comes up to whether or not the contract is enforceable against the minor.

If a parent/guardian wants to add a child to a deed, I don’t see why it would be voided. If the property has a mortgage I could see an issue, but otherwise, I don’t see a problem.

Not sure if you’re an attorney. But from everything I know, minors can own property in Florida.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fl...awyer.com/amp/acquisition_of_property_by_min/

There are certainly issues with minors entering into contracts, but typically, the issue comes up to whether or not the contract is enforceable against the minor.

If a parent/guardian wants to add a child to a deed, I don’t see why it would be voided. If the property has a mortgage I could see an issue, but otherwise, I don’t see a problem.
Not an attorney but in reality it's very difficult to do so plus the enforceability issue is a big one. Plus I'm doubtful DVC would recognize the deed if a minor was on the contract. Remember the only reason for a deed for DVC is that's how they chose to do it, they could have easily held the properties in trust. Even if they would you'd likely have to go through a full service attorney rather than simply a closing service. Plus even if they did and decided to sell, they would have to have a court appointed attorney in most cases since the value of a contract would likely cross over the $15K limit if held jointly with survivorship. I think the practical answer is somewhere between not feasible and not possible.

DVC wouldn't allow it. I have my 20 yo D on contract (19 @ time of purchase) but was not able to include my 16 yo (15 @ time of purchase). They required a copy of our IDs for age verification.

It is actually one of the reasons I haven't added on yet. I want both kids on the deeds but I don't want to deal with the BS of adding names on multiple contracts. I feel like I need to wait to add on until after my 16 yo turns 18 so I will only have 1 deed to modify.... unless I want to have separate memberships... ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter