If You Contract COVID-19, Are You Going To Tell Anyone Outside Immediate Family?

I would tell my boss, 90% of the time I work in the office alone but he has been coming in mostly when I'm not here for the past few weeks. I did see him a couple of weeks ago for 2 days in a row. He is over 70 so I feel he would need to know, plus I'm the bookkeeper so if I couldn't come in for two weeks I'm not sure if I could even talk him through how to pay the bills so I'd probably have to drag my sick self in. I wouldn't tell my son because it would worry him too much and he has enough problems of his own. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tell me if he was sick for the same reason. Probably wouldn't tell any of the neighbors because we have been staying away from them since this started. I don't go anywhere but the office and my hubby only goes to the grocery store and we are both pretty good about wiping everything down we touch when outside of the house. We even spray out mail. We've already discussed just how sick we would have to be to even go to the doc. I would have to be not able to draw a breath at all.

I would tell my household members - of course. I would not tell my extended family because they wouldn't need to know and they would annoy me. I rarely tell them any of my medical business anyway.

I probably would not have to tell my boss because he would likely know before me. He is currently staffing the health department's Emergency Operation Center so they get all the reports. But if that wasn't the case, I would tell work for sure since I have been here every day and they would need that information to protect everyone else..

#essential

Why would I hide it?

But other than my immediate family and work, I don't really have anyone to tell. I am not going to tell strangers at the grocery store that I had it.

Well, the hiding thing is what I'm trying to figure out. I guess people have a reason for it. I mean I wouldn't alert the press or anything, but I'd, for sure, tell coworkers that sit near me.

I'd tell my doctor and the few people who crossed my path recently.

Might go as far to put a 'C19 Alert' sign in my driveway so delivery people know it's OK to dump the package(s) away from my door.

I believe it's highly likely if you are diagnosed with Covid-19 your local health department may attempt to investigate your initial onset of symptoms, and your whereabouts during X amount of time before and make some general, non identifying notifications regarding any widespread public contact you may have had. Not sure how timely they can or may be in the thick of things, but I do believe attempts are being made to collect the information for public health notifications and for future study purposes.

I would tell because I think it is important for people to put a face to the numbers to make it real in some cases. Some people are still ignoring it. Maybe me saying something would be a wake up call to someone.

I would tell anyone I've come in contact with, which is no one for over two weeks, so I guess I'd have no one to tell. My husband would have to tell his company because he'd have to stay home.

i wouldn't tell friends and family because I hate that kind of attention.

Why wouldn't you tell people? It's not anything embarrassing.
I was reading about people who went to funerals or choir practice before the whole thing blew up, and a lot of them ended up sick and some died. There seems to be some anger and people wanting to know who the first person was, as though they need someone to hold accountable. I would be concerned that someone might blame me if someone in their family was sick, even if we had not been in contact. Some people have not been thinking rationally about it, and that can become dangerous under certain circumstances.

I was reading about people who went to funerals or choir practice before the whole thing blew up, and a lot of them ended up sick and some died. There seems to be some anger and people wanting to know who the first person was, as though they need someone to hold accountable. I would be concerned that someone might blame me if someone in their family was sick, even if we had not been in contact. Some people have not been thinking rationally about it, and that can become dangerous under certain circumstances.

If you are diagnosed and you were in close contact with anyone in the 14 days prior, you have a moral obligation to notify those people.

If you are diagnosed and you were in close contact with anyone in the 14 days prior, you have a moral obligation to notify those people.

But I thought it was the health department who was asking people about where they had been and notifying people of possible exposure, and keeping the sick person’s personal information confidential as our personal health info is supposed to be. I don’t mind if they tell the grocery that a shopper from this date is positive and may have been contagious in the store. I do mind if they say John Smith, who lives on the corner of First and Main, is positive and came to your store on this date. One method communicates the info that people may have been exposed and need to quarantine. That is all we need to know to protect our health. The other gives them that info, plus an avenue for revenge if they are so inclined. Once we hit community spread, finding patient zero each time became a moot point.

I don't think anyone is arguing that point, you are 100% correct. I think what SOME of us are saying is that outside of those that would be directly affected, we wouldn't share the info because we aren't the type to normally share our random medical info with random or non-close people, or even with close people. Some folks are more private.

If the public health people were not doing contact tracking I would definitely try to tell people that I knew I had contact with. I would not just tell people for the heck of it, but realistically once a couple people I had contact with the word would be out. So be it,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter