If your well into your 80s, never ridden or drove an ECV before - nor ever drove a car...

I am in my 70s so I have no inherent prejudice against older individuals - but I've seen too many older individuals on ECVs at WDW who did not have a clue how to even make the simplest turn in a line. Individuals who were confused and lost. I felt sorry for them. Please don't do that to your parent.

I've known individuals who were competent drivers (of cars) at 93 so it's not totally age related. But just pay attention to how your parent is able to handle a motorized vehicle even if it is "just a scooter".

My Mom has used a scooter for several years due to an ongoing hip problem. About 5-6 years ago, an elderly lady on a scooter crashed into her at Epcot. The lady pinned my Mom against a wall and she couldn't get off her scooter. The other driver was dazed and couldn't figure out how to back away from my Mom. Finally, the 7 year old grandson got on his Grandmother's lap and took control of the situation. The boys parents were very embarrassed and kept saying "We thought driving one of these things would be easier." Neither my Mom, nor the scooter were damaged so no harm. But, as my Mom gets older (she is now 81) we more and more rent a wheelchair rather than a scooter. With the wheelchair I am in control and she is totally relaxed. Its not easy driving a scooter through a crowded theme park.

It is not easy making some of the sharp zigzag turns in lines. DH is a very good driver and he bumped into a trash can in line trying to make a sharp turn. It was one of the Disney scooters which are larger and harder to maneuver. It does take a lot of concentration.

Thank you all - we decided a cruise is probably a much better idea and although cruise ships are quite large, it wont be as crowded and hopefully she'll be able to get around without the use of an ECV or walker.

Yes! LOL. She threw out the possibility of joining us during our November trip so she wouldn't have a chance at a 'practice run' since she's in assisted living and just uses a cane or walker there, which makes me that much more unsure. You use your feet for the gas and brake correct? Or are they on the handlebar?
handle bar no gas or brake if fact there are no brakes on any ECV. any possibility of taking her out for a store visit where she could try one? just an idea

handle bar no gas or brake if fact there are no brakes on any ECV. any possibility of taking her out for a store visit where she could try one? just an idea
Most people think ECVs don’t have any brakes because there is no brake to apply like in a car.
ECVs actually do have brakes and they are automatic. When the driver is applying power by activating the throttle, the brakes are off. As soon as the throttle is not activated, no power is being sent to the motor and the brakes are automatically on.
That doesn’t mean it stops quickly though - a lot depends on the speed the person is going, their reaction time and whether they actually let up on the throttle or are spending time trying to find a brake.

Most people think ECVs don’t have any brakes because there is no brake to apply like in a car.
ECVs actually do have brakes and they are automatic. When the driver is applying power by activating the throttle, the brakes are off. As soon as the throttle is not activated, no power is being sent to the motor and the brakes are automatically on.
That doesn’t mean it stops quickly though - a lot depends on the speed the person is going, their reaction time and whether they actually let up on the throttle or are spending time trying to find a brake.
when I have had to use an ECV I can not count how many times I have been asked where is the brake lever. they can not believe there is no brake lever

when I have had to use an ECV I can not count how many times I have been asked where is the brake lever. they can not believe there is no brake lever
sometimes I think they would be better off putting a fake brake lever.
It wouldn’t have to do anything, but people would ‘activate’ the ‘brake’ and feel better.

sometimes I think they would be better off putting a fake brake lever.
It wouldn’t have to do anything, but people would ‘activate’ the ‘brake’ and feel better.
I am talking about people near me not using one. they complain that ECVs should not be allowed because they don't have a brake handle lever or pedal

I am talking about people near me not using one. they complain that ECVs should not be allowed because they don't have a brake handle lever or pedal
Sorry you have to hear the complaints.
That’s because they don’t understand (or maybe don’t care to know) that ECVs actually do have brakes.

Sorry you have to hear the complaints.
That’s because they don’t understand (or maybe don’t care to know) that ECVs actually do have brakes.
from what I have found they don't care about how they work just that they cant see any brake and cant stop if they step right in front of you

I used a ECV before at Disney. It's almost like riding a bike. The key is not to floor it and brake often when you are around lots of people.

If I remember right as well, there is a small knob that controls the speed. The higher you turn the knob, the faster I goes.

what is the likelihood that Mom will be able to successfully use an ECV without taking people out that are in her path along the way? Mom thinks 'its no big deal' while I'm not as confident (a manual wheelchair isn't an option, at all).

Most of them have more than one speed. Also let her practice a little bit at the resort before venturing out. Make sure someone walks right beside her just to make sure. When we brought my FIL my husband walked beside him and one of my sons in back of him at all times. We weren't exactly sure he wouldn't take someone out. Accidentaly On purpose.

Thank you all - we decided a cruise is probably a much better idea and although cruise ships are quite large, it wont be as crowded and hopefully she'll be able to get around without the use of an ECV or walker.
I think that's a very good decision. I rented in ECV at Disney World several years ago due to a foot problem. At the time I was in my 40s , so it was quite easy for me to maneuver. What really surprised me was how many people stepped in front of me all day long every day without any warning at all. It took all my concentration all day every day to watch for people foolishly stepping out in front of me as if I wasn't there. It was scary! I can't imagine trying to do this if I was in my late 80s. Excellent reflexes and concentration are needed when maneuvering the crowds at Disney World. For someone of that age who hasn't driven a car before it would be pretty much impossible.

I HAVE BEEN IN THAT EXACT SITUATION --- and it did not go well.

I was a traveling companion for a lady who did ride a bike but never drove a car. She tried to climb the wall at the Country Bear Jamboree and another time got forward and reverse mixed up and dinged up some poor guy's legs. (He was SUPER nice about it.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!