I'm going to EUROPE!

millie

Mouseketeer
Well, actually we are all going - me, DH, DD (23) and DS (21) but they have forbidden me from talking about it so here I am.

The four of us have been to Disney World 5 or 6 times since our first trip in 2005 and DH and I have gone alone every Fall for the last 5 years but my lifelong dream has been to go to Europe.

Last December DH and I took our first cruise on the Dream for our 25th wedding anniversary and then the kids flew down and met us at AKL for 4 nights.

We had a nice time on the cruise but told everyone when we came back that we preferred just going to DW and would probably not cruise again. Then, DS says "I wouldn't mind going on a cruise" and the next thing I know we are all booked on another 4 night on the Dream for December 15, 2013. And even though I didn't think we would be going on another cruise, DH and I are both all excited now about taking the kids.

About a month after that I start trying to think of something special to do for DH's 60 birthday next year. We had thought about going to Disneyland but then I thought Med cruise! It took me over a week to convince him (and of course we had to bring the kids - $$) but I finally booked the 7 night for June 7, 2013. I'm going to EUROPE!!! And we will be in Florence for DH's 60th birthday.

Once I booked the trip I started to get pretty anxious about the expense. Our TA booked us in a category 9B gty. THe kids agreed to pay for their airfare so I opened a US air master card and when the flights were available I booked right away (non stop Philadelphia to Barcelona) and was then able to pay off half of the total bill with their contribution.

I had originally wanted to stay one night prior to the cruise and one night after in Barcelona but then our TA said that we would need two rooms for the four of us and that would be $800 on each end of the trip at the Renaissance. I thought that sounded excessive from what I had read here but she said that she checked with Disney so that was that.

I did some research and found that we could get one room at the Hotel Colon which is across from the Barcelona Cathedral for around $350 euros a night so I cancelled the Renaissance and we are now flying directly in on the morning of the 7th and letting Disney get us to the ship but after the cruise we will make our way to the hotel via taxi and spend one night there before flying home on Sunday.

DH is very easy going and is open to pretty much anything as far as excursions go. He has been to Rome before but not to Florence so we are going to do the tour that goes to the Accademia to see David, and then the Best of Rome. I have been reading all of the trip reports that I can find and see how many people arrange their own excursions with private companies but for these two "highlight" ports we are going to go with Disney.

To pay for the excursions each one of us is purchasing a $50 Disney gift card every month. We started in May so by June 2013 we will have $2600. It is a pretty painless way to save.

DS wants to see Pompeii and I am intrigued by Villefrance and Cap Ferrat so I think on those days we will venture out on our own. I have a copy of Rick Steve's Mediterrnean Cruise Ports so will follow some his tips for getting a taxi in Naples to go to Pompeii and the walking tour from Villefrance to the Rothschild house on Cap Ferrat. We can all get pretty cranky if we get too tired so I am concerned about overdoing it even though there is a part of me that wants to see and do everything! That is why they won't let me talk about the trip anymore - I have done nothing else for the past three months!

One of my favorite planning activities is to go to google maps, put in the address of one of the walking tour starting points, voom in on satellite view and then "walk" the streets of Naples, or Barcelona, or Florence. I will say "the Valor chocolate cafe is right next to our hotel in Barcelona" and they will tell me I am ruining it for myself and they do not want me to spoil it for them, but I want to know where I am going so I will feel comfortable in my surroundings. I am pretty sure they won't be complaining when I can take them anywhere they want to go! Isn't planning half the fun?

I am so very happy for you!! We will be in Cozumel for my 51st birthday this year!

One thing we do to save money is never use any change. Something could come to $1.01 and I will give 2 dollars. The $.99 goes into a jar that doesn't get touched until the week before a Disney vacation. It is unbelievable how quickly that money adds up!!

We will be getting off the Magic the day you get on! We are super excited as well for this amazing vacation:cool1:

My DS will turn 8 the day we are at Pompeii and he can't wait to see the ruins and climb Mt. vesuvius. (He doesn't know we are going but tells everyone who asked he wants to go the Mt. Vesuvius on his next vacation).

Can't wait to follow along with you on your pre-trip planning:)

We will be getting off the Magic the day you get on! We are super excited as well for this amazing vacation:cool1:

My DS will turn 8 the day we are at Pompeii and he can't wait to see the ruins and climb Mt. vesuvius. (He doesn't know we are going but tells everyone who asked he want to go the Mt. Vesuvius on his next vacation).

Can't wait to follow along with you on your pre-trip planning:)

Just a heads up, on DCL excursions which do the Vesuvius climb children have to be 10 years or older. So if this is a must start researching now for external companies that will take younger children up the mountain otherwise you may be disappointed if there are limited options and you leave it too late.

Just a heads up, on DCL excursions which do the Vesuvius climb children have to be 10 years or older. So if this is a must start researching now for external companies that will take younger children up the mountain otherwise you may be disappointed if there are limited options and you leave it too late.

Thank you for letting me know this. We are going to take the train to Pompeii and catch one of the buses from the station up to Mt. Vesuvius. It was very kind of you to let me know about DCL age restriction...can't crush a boys dreams on his birthday!

I have looked at the different stateroom packages that DCL offers. DH will be turning 60 on the cruise and I want to surprise him throughout the day. I don't think that he is too thrilled with turning 60 so I am going to go with a Chip and Dale theme. They are his favorite characters.

I plan to bring a gerneric birthday banner, table decoration, and streamers and decorate them with homemade Chip and Dale stickers. THere is a ton of stuff at the dollar store that can be packed flat and then personalized. I even say a pinata that is flat and then you fill it with whatever. The four of us are sharing a stateroom so when he goes to take his shower we will spring into action.

I have a picture of him with C&D that I will have made into a birthday card and try to get it signed when we get on the ship. I can make a birthday dessert topper to stick into his dessert at dinner and I might even bring some pre printed labels that I can stick on a bottle of Italian prossecco or candy bars.

Give me a color printer and a glue stick and I am good to go! DH is so laid back and generally hard to impress so I want to go over the top. Not sure if the kids will agree to wear Chip and Dale paper masks but we will see.

Congrats on your trip...hope (I'm sure you will) you have a blast...
I'm always happy to read about people going on the DCL bc I love them so much and reading about it gets me closer to my trip too....:cool1:

We will be getting off the Magic the day you get on! We are super excited as well for this amazing vacation:cool1: My DS will turn 8 the day we are at Pompeii and he can't wait to see the ruins and climb Mt. vesuvius. (He doesn't know we are going but tells everyone who asked he wants to go the Mt. Vesuvius on his next vacation). Can't wait to follow along with you on your pre-trip planning:)

You will be on my cruise! I'm so very excited...

90 days to go and all arrangements have been made! We decided on all DCL excursions, booked Eze, Nice, and French Wines, Florence and Michaelangelo, Jumping Back to Eternal Rome, and Half Day Pompeii. I also booked a pickup and half day tour from Barcelona Day tours upon disembarking. I think they will take us from the hotel to the airport as well.

Someone here once mentioned buying Disney gift cards as a way to save and that worked out perfectly for us. I just called DCL directly and put all the gifts cards on our account so now our excurions are all paid for.

All I have left to do now is pack!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter