I'm home. Severely depressed. Spring Break was a nightmare

I'm SO SO SO SO sorry OP. Oh, you broke my heart.
We have six kids. In a few weeks we will pile into our 12 pax van for our trek to WDW. I have had nightmares about the upcoming trip and all that might go wrong. It is costing us a small fortune to pull this off and that is with staying off property.

I realize some folks have no choice but to travel during break. I can't believe you are getting grief for going when you could go.

I don't think the OP is getting grief for going when they did, but going when they did and not expecting the crowds. When you go when the parks are insanely busy you won't get on many rides without a long wait. You will be shoulder to shoulder with people (and we can argue all day long the parks are too full, but that is not up to us) and you may end up with bad weather. If you don't expect or plan for any of those things you are in for a rough time.

I wouldn't be happy if it rained every day of my trip either, but at some point you have to don a poncho and try and make the best of it.

OP--I hope you try again. Maybe you would be happier off site where you can get a lot more space for a lot less money. If you can only go over breaks when the parks are crazy, at least now you know how crazy they are and can come up with a game plan. Hopefully as time goes on the good times from this trip will come more to your mind and you will forget the bad.

I've gone over Spring Break before, and as long as you know what you are getting into, it is not only do-able but enjoyable.

Many posters sleep 4 to a value room with no problem. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it fit the OP's family style. Not Disney's fault. The value rooms are what they are. They work for some and not for others. I'm not sure if that is something the OP could have known would be an issue ahead of time or not. Still, the best thing to do at that point is try and make it as positive an experience as possible. Make it almost a joke "Boy were are all packed in like sardines, good thing we don't spend any time hanging out in the room!" Thank type of thing.

Going over one of the busiest times of the year and complaining about the crowds doesn't make sense either. The parks do have capacity limits. If they were not hit, then the parks were not too full. I've been over the 4th of July--you wanna talk about crowded??? And still managed to have a good time. I'm sorry the OP didn't, but I also don't think giving up and leaving the park each day after only a few rides helped things.
So what you're saying is avoid WDW at busy times. Disney should put that in their promotional videos.

I agree about the rain and just making the best of it. I grew up in Seattle though so I grew up playing in rain, ha. But really even without ponchos, you just grin and bear it. Take it as a reprieve from the heat and as a way of scattering those thick crowds!

I've gone over Spring Break before, and as long as you know what you are getting into, it is not only do-able but enjoyable.

I agree, it is doable, but only if you know exactly what to expect, and plan accordingly, and go in with reasonable expectations.

However, if you read OP's posts (like below), it sounds like a major problem was that she did NOT know what she was getting into. Supposedly, she came on these DISboards looking for guidance, and after people on the DISboards allegedly told her how doable Spring Break was without elaborating on the size of the crowds or the amount of planning needed, she went away with unrealistic expectations. It is unfortunate that she ended up with an inaccurate picture of what it's like going to WDW when it is super crowded.

We had never been before in Spring break. - always November, December, February. I had friends assure me its crowded but doable. I also had never taken more than 3 kids before. My kids, and the number of our party wasn't the problems so much as the crowds. I was shocked to see so adults behaving badly. We saw over and over, more adults behaving like complete jackholes and plenty of kids looking downright miserable. I have another Dis name, but I cant log in for whatever reason and I had asked over and over and was assured it would be totally fine right here on the boards to go at Spring break as well. If I ever see anyone ask about spring break, I will tell them to run for the hills as its a flat out horrible idea.

Last edited:
We used to go only Spring Break week. After the last time (which coincided with Easter), I decided never again will I go with my kids during Spring Break week. The crowds were just WAY too stressful for them. It was clear to me that they would get so much more enjoyment out of the experience for all the money spent, during the off-season. Because we did a lot of planning, we were able to ride all of our favorites, but only once, and our park days definitely felt rushed with very little room for spontaneous exploration. We did OK with 2 and major pre-planning, but I can't imagine trying to keep a really large group of young kids happy in heavy crowds.

I could have a great time any time of year, but that's just me, if I went solo with with just DH. No way could I keep other people happy and comfortable during peak season, that's a lot of stress.

I agree, it is doable, but only if you know exactly what to expect, and plan accordingly, and go in with reasonable expectations.

However, if you read OP's posts (like below), it sounds like a major problem was that she did NOT know what she was getting into. Supposedly, she came on these DISboards looking for guidance, and after people on the DISboards allegedly told her how doable Spring Break was without elaborating on the size of the crowds or the amount of planning needed, she went away with unrealistic expectations. It is unfortunate that she ended up with an inaccurate picture of what it's like going to WDW when it is super crowded.

And honestly, some (myself included) are not going to be happy with "doable". I want more than that.

Plus as the PP points out, the size of the party makes a big difference. Many of those who say busy weeks are "doable" are doing it in much smaller groups. Just like it's easier to get FPs for smaller party sizes, it's easier to work your way though crowds and enjoy yourself in smaller groups.

And honestly, some (myself included) are not going to be happy with "doable". I want more than that.

Plus as the PP points out, the size of the party makes a big difference. Many of those who say busy weeks are "doable" are doing it in much smaller groups. Just like it's easier to get FPs for smaller party sizes, it's easier to work your way though crowds and enjoy yourself in smaller groups.

Exactly. "Doable" is also subjective, one person's "doable" might be someone else's nightmare.

We visited during the week of President's Day a few years ago, which is a step below Spring Break crowds, but still very very busy, i.e. so crowded there were times you literally could not move. It was "doable", but I would not say that to someone looking for advice without qualifying that statement: it was just the two of us, we are experienced WDW visitors who have been going to WDW for years, we knew exactly what we were getting into, we had a good plan, we had park hoppers and were prepared to use them, and most importantly, it was just the two of us. If we had a bunch of kids or a large family with us, it would have been a far different experience.

First of all, I loved your video! Your kids are adorable and I noticed in another thread that you are expecting #11. Congratulations!

I go to WDW between Christmas and New Years and the crowds are much worse than Spring Break. It's too bad that you didn't find us earlier because I'm sure that someone would have warned you about the crowds. You are right ... they are crazy!

(1) The key for dealing with crowds at WDW is to get to the parks early. I don't mean to pick on you, but if you're arriving at the parks and they are already packed solid, you waited too long to get there. I understand that it's difficult to get 13 people going in the first place and getting going early is nearly impossible. That's one of the issues that folks in a big group face :(. But I have to tell you that the park is NOT crowded when the gates open. You can get more done in the first 2 hours than you can in the following 4 hours combined and if you don't arrive until 9-10 am you are already behind the 8-ball.

(2) If an attraction is down when you have a FP, you can come back at any time to ride it. I'm bummed that someone didn't tell you that.

(3) Rain happens. When it does, like you, the crowds go for a while and then go home because they are miserable. If you can keep dry-ish and soldier on you can have a park with fewer people in it.

(4) You figured out that returning late at night is better than mid-day. We usually go early, go home and rest and go back for dinner and fireworks/parades. Our FPs are for the late afternoon and evening.

(5) I don't blame you one bit for being depressed :(. $13K is a lot for any family.

What's that old saying about teach your kids to dance in the rain... I can't comment on the spring break park capacity issues. But, we have been there when it was extremely busy. On a couple of occasions we said ok we just can't handle mk and went off to another park. Spending money on park hoppers was the only way we could have done this.

We have also been there when it was rainy and I just let my kids have fun which meant not wearing the Mickey rain coat I had packed and getting wet and playing in puddles in Epcot. Thankfully, I had packed a change of clothes.

My point being it sounds like you were defeated from the get go. We have all been there. I cried to guest services for gods sake about my baby's first haircut last year when our magic band wouldn't work because our tickets weren't loaded. We took a step back ate lunch and said we were starting over right there in BoG. This could have easily set the tone for the rest of our trip if I would have let it.

I really think any situation can be faced and enjoyed with a good attitude. I'm sad that you did not get to enjoy your kids one and done Disney experience. I wish we could have given you some suggestions while you were there so you could have salvaged the situation rather than the comments you at getting now.

I'm really so sorry you had such a terrible time on your trip. Our 1st ever trip to DW was Spring Break 7 years ago, and we would NEVER do it again. Even though we had a blast, the crowds were insane! I discovered the Disboards after that trip, and have not seen anyone recommend going during SB. Now we go in October usually, but I realize not everyone has the ability to go during school. I hope you won't give up because of the one bad trip! Stay offsite next time and save a ton of money. Then if things aren't perfect, it's not so financially devastating. Even with the rental van costs, we had a huge condo with a kitchen, for much less than just the room alone would have been on-site. We were 5 mins from the park, and did not miss any of the Disney magic. Rainy days would really suck, I guess that's one of those things that can't be helped. We have had great weather in October so far (knock on wood). Rude people, yes we saw a lot of entitled jerks this last trip. But I see that everywhere- people need to get over themselves as they aren't the only people at the park. The lost phone is awful. My kids are adults and I still remind everyone to tuck their phones in their bags while on rides so that could have been prevented. I don't have faith that honest people will find anything I lose, so I really try to pay attention. No matter what, a bad trip to Disney is sad :( I really hope you will give it another try someday. :flower3:

OP,
I am so sorry that you had a very expensive and very terrible time. 13k is a lot to spend and not feel a quarter of satisfaction. We are a family of 9 and understand that it takes much coordination and being at a park while trying to keep up with a large party can be overwhelming and frustrating. I do sympathize. My younger kids and older ones are in charter schools so we have flexibility and can plan around the crowds,however you do have a right to vent and feel like 13k went down the drain. Yes, the air-condition going out in those GMC are notorious as we have had out 12 passenger one rebuilt twice. Hugs and I hope that you all can find your happy vacation place. Surprisingly we found cruising to be much easier with our large party. Food choices for various taste, entertainment for little and older kids, no driving for the hubs and no dishes for me.

As we normally stay off property because of the space and having a rental with a bonus room for those days when the weather doesn't cooperate. You are absolutely right we should not say well things could be worse. Everyone needs some compassion.

Last edited:
I'm so sad to think of those sweet faces having a terrible time. We went April 2-13. We were expecting level 5-7 crowds and got 8-10s. It was unpleasant. However, we had a wonderful time. I can totally understand your not wanting to return, but if you do, here are my suggestions, a lot if which pp's have covered...

Break up the family into smaller groups. Maybe some one year, the rest another. I know that would be not ideal, but it's so very hard to have large groups in heavy crowds. We live near Disneyland and go all the time, like hundreds of times, so we don't care what we get done. Going last week with 13 extended family members with kids and scooters was just too much in large crowds. I can't image if they were all my children I was trying to keep together. Like baby duckling frogger. You can do it, but not relaxing or fun.

As pp's have said, go early and late and take advantage of rain. We bought ponchos send ds6 was whining until I (mean mommy) forced him to sit on a bench as the electrical parade went by. It was one of his best moments of the trip since mk had cleared out and it was so empty near us, at least 5 parade members gave him high 5s. A great memory. The middlle of any day at Disney is not your friend... Hot and crowded. If you divided the kids into morning people and night owls for two separate trips, this would work very well or even thrill riders and not.

What dates were you there? Hopefully you'll start going through pics and it will make you feel better a little about the money

I'm sorry you had such a miserable time and hope there were a few good experiences from the trip if you look back on it that had a positive light! I know how hard it is to save up for a trip to make memories with your family (being a single parent raising 5 kids who are all grown now, it's tough to try to plan a vacation much less one as expensive as WDW without breaking the bank). In regards to your van's A/C breaking down, I def can empathize - our A/C went out 3 days into our cross country trip from Oregon to Florida back in 1994 traveling with our 5 kids and it was miserable. We made the best of it during the rest of the trip even tho it ended on a sad note (my husband passed away from a heart attack when we reached Florida. He was so excited to take this adventure across country esp with our kids making memories along the way - even with the van breaking down from same issue every 500 miles or so he never complained and neither did our kids. We always taught our kids to make lemonade out of lemons.) This didn't discourage us from wanting to go back to Florida to see WDW as we knew this experience was out of the norm.

Traveling with a big family can be difficult in the best of circumstances and we can't control the weather, the crowds or how other guests behave (or not behave), but I agree with what others are saying in that getting to the parks early, taking a midday break and returning in the evening is the best advice. I wish you had learned that before your trip as I believe it would have made your trip more enjoyable. You never mentioned the dates that you went (I think we're all curious). Hopefully you will consider going again in the future and have a better experience (like the times you traveled in the past).

Last edited:
We just returned from a trip to DL last Sunday. There was one evening (a Friday) that the CM's seemed to be taken by surprise by the crowds and it led to major issues. The fireworks were stopped mid-show due to high winds at higher elevations... and almost everyone decided to leave the park all at once. I was up on the train station platform and just sat there and watched the chaos unfold as the CM's scrambled to try to deal with the crushing crowds. They ended up closing all of the entrances to incoming guests in order to clear the crowds. One CM told us that he had never seen it like that, and he had worked on NYE! I am honestly surprised that I have never heard of serious injuries occurring due to the crowds in these parks. They simply cram too many people in. My dad loves DL but he was ready to leave after the first two days of our trip. He isn't in any hurry to go back either. I know this was DL and not WDW, but it seems to me that the company as a whole is not focused on ensuring quality experiences for their guests. If they were, they would close their parks long before the crowd levels got so ridiculous.

Oh, and we went to WDW during the week of Easter years ago and vowed to never make that mistake again!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your family's experience. :(

We just returned from a trip to DL last Sunday. There was one evening (a Friday) that the CM's seemed to be taken by surprise by the crowds and it led to major issues. The fireworks were stopped mid-show due to high winds at higher elevations... and almost everyone decided to leave the park all at once. I was up on the train station platform and just sat there and watched the chaos unfold as the CM's scrambled to try to deal with the crushing crowds. They ended up closing all of the entrances to incoming guests in order to clear the crowds. One CM told us that he had never seen it like that, and he had worked on NYE! I am honestly surprised that I have never heard of serious injuries occurring due to the crowds in these parks. They simply cram too many people in. My dad loves DL but he was ready to leave after the first two days of our trip. He isn't in any hurry to go back either. I know this was DL and not WDW, but it seems to me that the company as a whole is not focused on ensuring quality experiences for their guests. If they were, they would close their parks long before the crowd levels got so ridiculous.

Oh, and we went to WDW during the week of Easter years ago and vowed to never make that mistake again!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your family's experience. :(

Ooops...meant to post that DL has horrible crowd control. We had a bad experiencing in 2011 after World of Color when theymhad Grad Nite at DL and herded us like cows, with CMs yelling at us...eww. It was bad.

OP, I am so sorry about some of the things you encountered!

We were there over Easter as well, but had rented a villa through redweek at AKL Kidani. Thankfully we had done this, as our party of 3 became a party of 4 with my son coming home from college early due to depression. At least we had space for him.

I have been for spring break multiple times, and over Easter in the past as well. I have to say, this year took the cake. The only time I've seen crowds like this is over Christmas! I mean, the crowds were unusual this year! Add in the downpours for days and it was not the best trip. For us it wasn't the worst, as we had spent much less on our room than your did ($2000 for a week in a one bedroom 2 bathroom that sleeps 5 with full kitchen, and we ordered groceries from garden grocer so had tons of food in the room). I don't like to add in all the extras like tickets for the 2 that don't have AP's (DD and I do) so I like to think we didn't spend a ton.

Disney isn't cheap. I figure a week there at $1,000 per person is standard. No way around it that much, unless you get good deals off site (like I did 15 nights with me and the 2 kids once in Interval International Getaways for less than $1,000 total in 2 bedroom condos, $200 for rental car total, used Marriott points for our tickets, and cooked almost every meal in so that was the best fun and budget trip ever).

I've done large groups a couple of times at Disney. It is not as much fun. Some folks love it, not me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!