I'm so confused about giong to MK by bus or car. We have mobility issues.

Bete

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at POP this time. All, I remember about MK is the monorail system to get you there. Do the Disney buses get you to the park without going on the monorail? Those with mobility issues, do you have an elevator or something to get to the the monorail landing? Are there ramps? I really don't remember; please help.

:Pinkbounc

Bete said:
We will be staying at POP this time.
Hi, Bete. You'll love PoP Century and all of the balconies. Make sure that you note on your reservation, or call them to amend, any special needs that you will have like bathroom.

Bete said:
All, I remember about MK is the monorail system to get you there.

The monorail system system, or ferry boat is the place that you go to if you are driving and parking at MK. You can take the ferry boat directly to MK is easier to me. But everyone likes to ride the monorail when at WDW. The ramp is sort of steep. One monorail goes from the TTC to MK, and the second monorail makes stops additionally to the CR, Poly, and GF.

Bete said:
Do the Disney buses get you to the park without going on the monorail?

This is your best solution. The WDW bus system takes you directly from your PoP Century Resort to the Magic Kingdom park. As you exit the bus, you will see the MK park entranc straight ahead on your right. And you will also pass the ferryboat exit. Opposite from you, you will see the MK monorail exit.[/QUOTE]

Bete said:
Those with mobility issues, do you have an elevator or something to get to the the monorail landing?

I know that there are ramps at the Epcot monorail. It is located on the far right side as you face the Epcot monorail. For the life of me I can't remember if there are elevators at the TTC or MK monorail stations. There are elevators inside the CR, Poly, and GF resort monorail stops.

Bete said:
Are there ramps?

At the monorail TTC and MK stations? Yes. For me, very long ramps, but doable. I have never tried a scooter on these monorail ramps.

You should visit the monorail at least once on your vacation. If you are walking, ask the WDW Castmember if you and your party could ride in the front with the driver of the monorail. You will enjoy this.

Also if on the monorail, visit the other GF, Poly, and CR resorts to look at their beautiful lobbies or to explore.

Did you know that MK, GR, and Poly all have a boat launch that you can use to travel. It is a great lake ride. There is also a MK, WL, and WCG boat launch to enjoy. You don't have to get off. You can just make complete trip.

Talking about boat launches. There is a wonderful boat launch that travels back and forth from MGM, Swan/Dolphin, Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Epcot's International Gateway. And make sure that you go to the back or the boat launch and sit outside. And at night, the Boardwalk is a wonderful place to people watch, and enjoy the Boardwalk and lake.

I would use the WDW bus system for all of your transportation. Almost all or the buses go from a resort to a park, and visa versa in case you want to go from resort to resort. If you do this just ask a bus driver the best way to go.

If you were taking the bus system to go from PoP Century to AKL to visit or eat at Bomas, then take a bust that is close to your resort and close to the resort that you are going too. For instance, I would go from Pop, to AK park, to AKL. Or if I wanted to go to the Boardwalk or just ride the boat launch, I would take the bus from the Pop to MGM, take a boat launch to Boardwalk.

The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that after one hour of park closings, the buses stop running at the park. If you were at Boardwalk late at night, you may have to take another bus to Downtown Disney and then back to your resort. Actually, most people tell you to do this all of the time, but I find that sometimes this takes longer than doing what I said above.

Ask for a WDW transportation map at checkin to see how close or far away everything is. Also ask for a Downtown Disney map, and a Boardwalk Area map, in addition to the regular four park guide maps.

Have a wonderful time.

Sincerely, Ray

RaySharpton said:
I know that there are ramps at the Epcot monorail. It is located on the far right side as you face the Epcot monorail. For the life of me I can't remember if there are elevators at the TTC or MK monorail stations. There are elevators inside the CR, Poly, and GF resort monorail stops.

There is an elevator at the Epcot monorail station. We were renting a wheelchair inside Epcot and about killed DS getting from the monorail to the wheelchair rental location. When we went to guest services to ask for ideas for next time, they told us there was an elevator, available to handicapped guests only, so it is kind of hidden.

LisaB

LisaBi said:
There is an elevator at the Epcot monorail station. We were renting a wheelchair inside Epcot and about killed DS getting from the monorail to the wheelchair rental location. When we went to guest services to ask for ideas for next time, they told us there was an elevator, available to handicapped guests only, so it is kind of hidden.

LisaB
The elevator is quite hidden and the last time we used it, a CM actually had to open it with a key for you.

There is no elevator at MK or the TTC.

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this forum, there is information about WDW transportation with wheelchairs or ecvs.

The boats that go to/from Epcot and the Epcot resorts are wheelchair accessible.
The smaller boats that go between the MK resort and MK are not accessible. The large boats that go between the MK resorts and MK are sometimes not wheelchair accessible because of the water level. There will be signs posted if they are not accessible.

As was already posted, it's much easier to travel to the MK by WDW bus than driving because the bus drops you off right at the park turnstiles, while if you drive, you will have to ride either the boat or monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter