Imagineer

lifesgr8

Mouseketeer
Is there a certain college that Disney does more hiring from than another? For someone eventually wanting to become an imagineer?

Is there a certain college that Disney does more hiring from than another? For someone eventually wanting to become an imagineer?

First off, Disney Imagineering has many facets. Obviously there is the ride design, but WDI encompasses so much more. What exactly within WDI do you want to do?

A generic answer would be a state school with a Bachelors of Science either in engineering, architecture, building construction, or graphic design. A Masters Degree would also be beneficial. Do a College Program after your sophomore year, find an internship at en engineering firm after your junior year. And after your senior year, apply for a WDI Professional Internship.

As far as locating individual schools, you may want to look in either California or Florida. Only a personal opinion based on general proximity. Also, a simple google search can show you what universities Disney may have special relationships with.

She wants to be a mechanical engineer. She spent a week at an engineering camp & quite liked electrical engineering. She also thought a minor in interior design. But engineering is her focus. I've done some googling & so far I'm seeing a lot of talk about ucla having special relationships with wdi. She is for sure going to do the Disney college program.

Additionally, every year disney runs a program in which they hold a competition of groups of 2-4 who want to become imagineers. The teams have to be from the same university and the competition is quite stiff, however, all members of the winning team get internships. So if your daughter can find some like minded disnerds, she might be in business.

Hi! I'm currently studying to become an Imagineer :) I have quite a few friends who are Imagineers and they let me come over to the HQ and advised me on what to do and what route to take. All I can really say is that it truly depends on which field she's interested in as there are over 150 jobs with Imagineering. I'm interested in creating the rides by making concept art so I'm studying at an art school right now in CA that the Imagineers pull from (and told me to go to). Theres also an internship that you can apply for during your junior year. I would strongly recommend it.

I wish your daughter the best of luck! :hug:

EDIT: Forgot to mention a couple things-the CP will most likely not benefit her with trying to get this career but its fun and a great experience anyway if she wishes to do so. Also, like eadavis said above, she's definitely going to want to look at schools in Florida or California.

I know a little bit about this so I'll pitch in.

Engineering PI's are very hard to get & are typically given to students who have graduated their Bachelors the previous semester or Grad students. They come from all across the country but because of recruitings high familiarity with local programs you may find a decent amount of PI's are graduates from Florida or California schools. Doesn't mean you have to be.

Above someone mentioned above doing a CP after her Sophomore year. I can't advise to do that. As an engineering student your daughter will be lucky to graduate in 4 years, the average engineering student does 8 semesters in total, some accomplish with summer classes for 2 years. Working for WDW/DL is a great opportunity and I'm not knocking the CP at all but as an engineering student who has to be the best of the best at that taking 6 months off to do the CP isn't feasible.

There's a great chance even after graduating that your daughter won't get a PI at Disney in Engineering. Don't be distraught, just remind her to go out and work somewhere else in her field and then reapply to work for the company. If Disney is her end game it doesn't have to be the entire road there.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am a current BS Industrial Engineering student at USF with a friends at many engineering schools and a few at WDW. Would be happy to answer any questions your daughter or you have about engineering programs.

I can't really speak about disney but I agree with alot that it said above. Engineering is a hard major and the CP won't give her much experience in the major (that I know of) and she'll really fall behind her class. Now if she is ok taking 5 or 6 years by all means go ahead and do the CP. Just know that you'll be coming back to a different class than you left.

I'm a mechanical engineer and been out of school for alittle bit now working in industry. I did a co-op program that offered 4 semesters of work experience and loved it. It was the industry related work experience that really helped in school and getting a job afterwards. However it took 5 years to graduate going full time including summer and winter breaks to complete the program.

Also I would recommend to start in electrical over mechanical. Electrical is a harder( or more specific major than mechanical) it will be easy to switch your lower level classes from electrical to mechanical than vice versa. Also, she should just be prepared to be tough. Both fields are still a very male dominated area. I don't really want to say it but I still get flack from certain groups because I'm young and a female (even had it from a professor at school). If she's strong and stands her ground she'll be fine.

If Disney really is her end game than she just needs to work hard. Get the best grades she can and show her passion in interviews for internships after she graduates. From experience with myself and other friends passion goes a long way to seperate you from a crowd.

I'm an ME and DH is and EE. If I had it to do over again, I'd be an EE. If your daughter has any interest in EE, encourage that!

About the CP...I agree with the other posters. You can't do that as an engineering student.

Not sure about becoming an Imagineer...we live in FL and DH has tossed the idea around. The biggest issue for us is that our kids are in elementary school...we like our county schools and would prefer not to put them in school in Orlando. DH has friends who work for Disney Engineering...it sounds fun, but not sure how the pay compares to a "regular" engineering job. I would guess that Disney wants experienced engineers, but I could be wrong...maybe they take some right out of school. Like anything else, networking is probably key to getting a position there I'd guess.

Additionally, every year disney runs a program in which they hold a competition of groups of 2-4 who want to become imagineers. The teams have to be from the same university and the competition is quite stiff, however, all members of the winning team get internships. So if your daughter can find some like minded disnerds, she might be in business.
That sounds super interesting! I'm currently a college student hoping to be an Imagineer. Could you give a bit more information on this contest? If I can find someone at my school to compete with I would love to try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter