Inexpensive Diet?

Rayyan

Earning My Ears
Is there such a thing? I would like to prepare meals that the whole family can eat, but I find that on most diets, you have to eat several meals a day, which consist of very expensive foods (especially low-carb diets). It is hard enough to buy that kind of expensive food for just one person, but if you have to buy for the family, it is harder. And I don't want to cook one thing for me, and something else for them. Also, I don't want to sit there eating steaks, while they sit there watching me, and wanting some, too. I would like for us all to eat healthy.

A healthy diet is for everyone. With low carb you do not have to eat steak. That's only what die-hard keto eaters do. Lean meats, like boneless chicken, don't have to be expensive. Same for eggs and white fish.

You do yourself, and your family, a favour by learning to read labels, to avoid added sugars. Learn portion control. 4-5 fruit & veg a day. Go for whole grains instead of refined.
Go for fresh instead of processed foods. Stick to the size of your hand to determine portions for carbs.
That's something you can benefit from your entire life, and something valuable to teach your children. Then it's not a diet, but a lifestyle.

Get away from fad diets or ones that make you avoid entire food groups.

Some inexpensive foods that are HEALTHY and filling are:

Oatmeal (plain)
Peanut butter
Whole wheat breads and pastas
Greek yogurt (buy the big plain tubs and add fruit or a bit of fruit preserves or honey)
Rice, especially brown rice
Fresh fruits and veggies
Bulk meats like chicken breast, pork tenderloin, or grass fed ground beef (Costco for these)
Potatoes/Sweet potatoes (when you roast them they are very healthy)
Beans (you can do a LOT with beans and chickpeas)
Eggs
Milk

This gets hard if you have picky eaters, but I'm currently trying to watch my diet and lose some weight and I've done well with the above foods. The most important thing (which will also save you money) is to avoid highly processed and packaged foods as well as "convenience foods." In addition, cut WAY back on added sugars.

The key to any diet is reducing your caloric intake. You should choose foods that are filling, but lower in calories.

Lots of ways to up proteins and keep junk and prices down, I'm back in the saddle for tightly controlling this again.

You can reduce the actual meats and up protein with eggs: hard boiled plain in salad, egg salad, in a skillet in broth in fried rice, as a sandwich, in a quiche or frittata with ricotta and cheese & thrown in any number of veggies. Frittata and quiche will be made on a Friday & sit in the fridge all weekend and people will take bits here and there instead of junk. My son works out and I always keep a bowl of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge when he is around, he'll gobble 3 at a time & I'll have one instead of junk.

It is definitely possible to eat healthy and balanced 30 min meals on a budget. Here are some tips that may help:
  1. Plan your meals and snacks in advance to avoid impulse buys and food waste.
  2. Shop for seasonal and locally sourced produce, which is often less expensive and more nutritious than out-of-season or imported options.
  3. Buy staple items like grains, beans, and frozen vegetables in bulk to save money in the long run.
  4. Incorporate plant-based proteins like lentils, chickpeas, and tofu into your meals instead of always relying on expensive animal protein sources like steak.
  5. Avoid processed and packaged foods, which are often more expensive than whole foods and can be less nutritious.
  6. Look for sales and coupons, and compare prices at different stores to find the best deals.
It's also worth noting that a healthy diet doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow a specific diet plan. You can make simple changes to your family's meals, such as increasing the number of fruits and vegetables and reducing the number of processed foods and added sugars.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter