Is anyone else not impressed with Hamilton? UPDATE

I love musicals but Hamilton didn't grab me. Maybe being Australian, I can't relate? Anyway, I gave up within the first 10 minutes and doubt I'll return to finish it.

We did sit down as a family and jump into it. Made it about 30 minutes then my 6 yo lost interest.
My six-year-old fell asleep during a live performance of Phantom in New York. I'm not sure how great of a measuring stick a six-year-old is.

My six-year-old fell asleep during a live performance of Phantom in New York. I'm not sure how great of a measuring stick a six-year-old is.
Wasn't really using the 6 yo as a yardstick, the fact was NONE of us went back and watched it. Actually, not true, I did end up watching the rest of it. Worth watching, not worth the hype. As I said in my OP, in person, night out, get dressed up, I could see how that would be better.

I also could not get into it, I like musicals but not when the whole thing is one long song. Watch "1776" great musical that came out in the 60s or 70s written by a Columbia grad who double majored in music and history.

I also could not get into it, I like musicals but not when the whole thing is one long song. Watch "1776" great musical that came out in the 60s or 70s written by a Columbia grad who double majored in music and history.

I watched it again last night, for probably the 10th time. I tend to just put it on when I'm bored and can't find anything else on tv.

I really enjoyed “1776” and tried to get into Hamilton, and can’t.

I haven't cared much for Hamilton in the sense that it is just a little historically inaccurate. The music is catchy but nothing mind-blowing and the whole thing strikes me as mediocre. Now if you bought D+ for musicals, then I would point you in the direction of the Broadway recording of Newsies. The cast for that is incredibly talented and the recording is a solid one. Just an opinion but I thought I'd bring that up.

UPDATE - My daughter bought a subscription to Disney+ as a Christmas gift for the family. We started watching Hamilton and all I can say is that my opinion has not changed. I decided I should give it a shot (see what I did there? :) ) but none of us could make it past the first few numbers. I actually thought the recorded pieces available on Spotify sounded better than the live numbers. That almost never happens for me because I usually prefer listening to something that is recorded live as opposed to a studio recording. Alas, Hamilton is just not for me.

I am a huge musical theatre lover, but I have to admit I was not blown away by it. Technically speaking, the Disney film is amazing. From the setup of the shots to the crispness of the 4K presentation to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, this was about as good of a film of stage show as you can get.

But I think maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Or perhaps the hype surrounding it was just too much. Perhaps I'd feel different if I had seen it on stage first.

It's no Les Miz!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter