Is Cali Grill overrated?SideSA

Also, once I dined there and made the mistake of letting the waiter suggest a glass of wine for me. I'm a wine ignoramus and made the mistake of not asking the price - shame on me, and that was a $31 glass of wine.
and that server took advantage, that’s not right at all! This happened to me many years ago, not at CG but it only takes once!

We ate there last month and enjoyed it. We got the ADR that afternoon for about 9:15 that night. Arrived a little early and they seated us immediately, right when HEA was starting so it was noisy. So noisy that our server asked if we would just like drinks and wait to order until it was over and we were fine with that. Right after it was over the noise level really went up because everyone who had been out on the deck came in but it quieted down after about 5 min. Our food was good, our service excellent. It wasn't cheap but we have as much for just o.k. food and bad service so we were happy.. We would go again.

We just got back and ate there our first night. I haven’t been there since they changed the menu. I won’t go back unless they change the menu. I don’t eat red meat or pork no biggie, I ordered the chicken my meal was awful and so was the service. I loved that restaurant, the view, the service but no longer. No Thanks.

I’ve not been in a while but have always enjoyed it and am looking forward to dining there on the next trip. As others have said, it is decidedly not quiet. But I’ve always had great food and service. This video from the DIS dining show might give you a better sense of ambience.

Funny thing, restaurants that I really enjoyed for their cuisine and better ambiance, I find to be disappointing lately and California Grill happens to be one. We ate there a few months ago and my scallops were disappointing. I can certainly forgive one disappointing experience, having had so many good ones in the past. So, we were there this Friday night, I skipped the scallops and opted for the Black Grouper and it wasn't great, it was just OK but I don't go there for just OK. The next day we ate at one of my favorite lunch spots, the Hollywood Brown Derby, and again it was OK, not as good as before. I don't like the latest menu, they took away my favorite pork dish so I had the Black Grouper & Lobster Ciopino, well 1st, no broth/sauce, therefore it's not a ciopino, lobster small but sweet and tender, fish, salty. Sunday night, Jiko another favorite, gone is the wild boar appetizer, replaced by Berkshire pork tenderloin, same price, disappointing, the star, the African grits, $19 for grits. The elk, tender but needed salt in the worst way, the lamb same thing, needed salt and a bit of acid, I ended up squirting lemon onto the dish. Are the signatures going to hell and hand basket. Spend $$$ this weekend and I'm left disappointed in all 3.

This is terrible news. My favorite appetizer anywhere. For what it’s worth, had a similar experience last month at Brown Derby, was fine but not up to the usual standard.

If you’re looking for a quieter ambiance, we’ve had good luck making an ADR for right when they open ~5:00. It’s especially nice if you can catch the sunset during the meal, hit MK and/or the monorail resorts for a bit, then return for fireworks. We absolutely love CG, but it is undeniably loud at prime times. We even found we didn’t love brunch as much as very early or very late dinner simply because of the noise/chaos level.

Ask for Walter.

He's great (and smart he didn't add the automatic TIW tip because 'it's unprofessional to auto tip a guest" and wound up with a much larger tip! LOL! In other words he knew us and knew we appreciated his great service) )
Thanks for the suggestion. Do we request Walter during check-in at the restaurant or before that?

I’ve done a light dinner there (a cocktail and sushi), and it’s pretty expensive for what you get. That being said, when we booked, we did it already knowing that we were totally going for the ambience (I love MCM design) and the fireworks. We had a really nice time. Was it the best food I’ve had at Disney? No. But, I’m from the PNW, so in retrospect, it was probably silly to order sushi knowing that it was unlikely it would compare to what I could get for a similar price at home.

The entree menu beyond things like the sushi and flatbreads just didn’t appeal to me for what they were asking. It didn’t help that we had just come off a Disney Cruise and had eaten a full meal at Palo for less than what one entree cost.

What we’ve done in the past (and what we will probably do in the future from here on out), is go to the lounge for a cocktail, dessert, and coffee. We had a great experience the last time we did this. I still think about the s’mores Creme brûlée!

My wife and I ate there last night. We both thought the food was exceptional. I had the Crudo for an appetizer and filet for my main course. The mashed potatoes were by far the best I’ve ever had in my life. Mo, our server, was outstanding.

It is by far my favorite restaurant on property.

That Dis Video was great, thank you 2xcited2sleep!

And Walter was mentioned again!

Question; just checked and there are no HEA fireworks on our CG reservation evening. MK closes at 6 for the MNSSHP. Our ressie is for 7. Could we stay until 10 and be able to view the Halloween fireworks? I realize we’ll miss the projections, but are the fireworks themselves worthwhile? Does CG pipe in that music?

Appreciate all the thoughtful responses thus far!!!

That Dis Video was great, thank you 2xcited2sleep!

And Walter was mentioned again!

Question; just checked and there are no HEA fireworks on our CG reservation evening. MK closes at 6 for the MNSSHP. Our ressie is for 7. Could we stay until 10 and be able to view the Halloween fireworks? I realize we’ll miss the projections, but are the fireworks themselves worthwhile? Does CG pipe in that music?

Appreciate all the thoughtful responses thus far!!!

Hallowishes are my favorite fireworks! Definitely worth seeing and this is a great way to do it if not attending a party. I’m not sure you’ll be able to stretch your meal three hours to 10 but you could head out to the observation deck or even go explore the resort and present your receipt at the podium to go back up and directly out to the deck when time for fireworks. I believe they do pipe in that music as well but am not positive. Have fun!

Putting aside the view, is the ambiance quiet and refined and the food fabulous? After reading the reviews, I find CG either described as amazing on all points or a setting like a school cafeteria with food that was meh. This would be for an evening meal @ 7:10.

Interested in your take!
I think CG is one of the most overrated restaurants on property once you take the view out of the picture. It is very noisy and not some place to go if you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner. We were there for a 7:30 dinner and I felt like I was yelling to just talk to people at our own table. The food is good but not great. I think you can get better sushi at the Kona Island. I don't agree that the ambiance is refined. There is suppose to a "dress code" as it is a signature restaurant but they seem slack on that.

I love the title of the thread....."Is the Cali Grill Overrated?"..........in one word...........YES!!!!!!

If you want to see the fireworks from the balcony, I would go to the lounge for pre-dinner drinks, save your receipt, eat a more romantic and better presented food at another restaurant, and show your receipt and go back up to watch the fireworks. As long as the receipt is dated that day, you are good to go.

We found it highly overrated - Oct 2017. The food was just OK; average at best and definitely not signature quality. The noise level of the restaurant reminds me of a kid-friendly restaurant close to our home - Very Loud.

Last edited:
We have had dinner there on two separate occasions, and we absolutely loved both of our experiences. It is not a quiet restaurant, but the ambience is still great. Our food was delicious, and we loved that it was a non-rushed meal where we could take our time and enjoy it. We did bring our kids who were 13 and 8 at the time, and they enjoyed it as well. We are already planning on going again on our next trip.

My DW and I had a great experience at California Grille the one time we have been. The vegetarian dish they prepared for my DW was inccredible, and my food was fresh and well plated. Our server was very patient with us, and didn't come by too much or too little.

We def

Does anyone know if they let you share an entrée. DH and I both would love the Cowboy Rib Eye but it is huge. We usually share a Rib eye this size at home. I don't want to be tacky but I hate wasting food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!