Is DVC talking minimum stay?

This would affect quite a few DVC'ers who live close by and take overnight trips here and there. Like us. If this happened, we'd be likely to sell one contract for sure. For us, it would defeat the purpose of why WE bought DVC.

Internet rumors...

A few days ago I posted on THIS board "what would you do if the snack credits were reduced to popcorn and cokes?" Now that is the ONLY place I have seen that was in my "what if" post. Over on the Dining Plan board at least a few posters were very worried because "snack credits were being reduced to popcorn and cokes" Hmm.......

Somehow I think this "rumor" has the same "reliable" source! :)

So you're the one causing all the trouble. :rotfl:

That would really, really bite. :headache:

We tend to go 5 to 7 nights, sometimes 8, but when DH and I go down by ourselves for things like F&W we go only for 3 nights.

It would be much cheaper to administer if they had minimum stays of 3 days or longer, esp if they required those to be specific days like to include a Fri or Sat night for a 3 days stay and 4 days otherwise. I doubt it would affect most people overall and I suspect the overall influence on the wait list would be positive and not negative as I'm sure some will post as a concern.
I don't often disagree with Dean, but I think you completely miss the boat here...

1) In terms of dollars, I think any "savings" would be minuscule.

2) In any case, Disney doesn't really care how much it costs to administer. We pay those costs. In fact, the more we pay to administer, the higher Disney's management fee

3) I think people who book longer trips think most people book longer trips, and vice versa. I doubt any of us have any actual data on the number of people booking short trips. But keep in mind that one of the great appeals of DVC is the ability to book short trips. I'd never buy a traditional timeshare, since I couldn't stay anyplace for a week. I bought into DVC because they allowed it. I

I don't often disagree with Dean, but I think you completely miss the boat here...

1) In terms of dollars, I think any "savings" would be minuscule.

2) In any case, Disney doesn't really care how much it costs to administer. We pay those costs. In fact, the more we pay to administer, the higher Disney's management fee

3) I think people who book longer trips think most people book longer trips, and vice versa. I doubt any of us have any actual data on the number of people booking short trips. But keep in mind that one of the great appeals of DVC is the ability to book short trips. I'd never buy a traditional timeshare, since I couldn't stay anyplace for a week. I bought into DVC because they allowed it. I
We certainly pay the costs but the potential savings is not miniscule but likely in the 10-15% range or higher for some of the possibilities though it would vary with specifics. And I think DVC does care. They're already some 30% higher on Maint fees than other similar systems they compete with directly like Marriott.

My point about most people not being affected overall is that few people actually intend to go for less than 3 days. Certainly there are exceptions but overall the percent of trips for less than 3 days would be very low. And if you have to book 3-4 days at a time, esp if it's specific days, the chances of what you actually want and need for the entire trip being there when you call is much higher. No more day by day calling, about 1/4 to 1/3 the personnel needed in MS or possibly even less depending on specifics. Possibly even less housekeeping and other resort staff needed as well but I'd agree that the changes would be small on that front unless they went to a full 7 day requirement which they could theoretically do but it would require the members to vote to do so.

Certainly there are exceptions but overall the percent of trips for less than 3 days would be very low.
Personally, I don't see how you can have it both ways - significant cost savings and very low impact. But, hey, given a conflict between you and me on a timeshare issue, I'm thinking you're probably right.

Personally, I don't see how you can have it both ways - significant cost savings and very low impact. But, hey, given a conflict between you and me on a timeshare issue, I'm thinking you're probably right.
That's exactly what I feel is possible. I think the main problem would actually be in the mind of members who would see it as a loss of flexibility and I think it would be more emotional than a loss of substance for a dramatic majority of the people. It would affect somewhat how the wait list works but overall I think for the better. Still, as I noted initially, I don't see DVC making the change if they haven't thus far.

Rather than requiring a minimum stay I think it would make sense to have a reduction in the point requirement for longer stays. There are housekeeping and admin costs to every turnover on a unit. I would think a 5 day and a 2 day stay would have double the cost or one 7 day stay for these items. We are paying these costs in our annual fees. Housekeeping and admin appear to make up about a third of the total annual budget. Why not reflect the cost impact in the point requirement.

Many on this board handle the higher weekend rates by moving to a lower cost property for the weekend. Why not encourage longer, less costly stays?

Rather than requiring a minimum stay I think it would make sense to have a reduction in the point requirement for longer stays. There are housekeeping and admin costs to every turnover on a unit. I would think a 5 day and a 2 day stay would have double the cost or one 7 day stay for these items. We are paying these costs in our annual fees. Housekeeping and admin appear to make up about a third of the total annual budget. Why not reflect the cost impact in the point requirement.

Many on this board handle the higher weekend rates by moving to a lower cost property for the weekend. Why not encourage longer, less costly stays?
I don't think that's workable under the system as set up. Overall the only way to lower weekends is to raise weekdays, a full week would be the same. What could be done would be to give those that book a full week a head start. While I'm sure many would think the couldn't do that, I'm not so sure. I think they likely could though it might require a vote of the membership. Plus I suspect any outcry would be far greater than just instituting a minimum stay. In many ways DVC has made their bed and are stuck with the good and bad that falls out, as are the members.

Internet rumors...

A few days ago I posted on THIS board "what would you do if the snack credits were reduced to popcorn and cokes?" Now that is the ONLY place I have seen that was in my "what if" post. Over on the Dining Plan board at least a few posters were very worried because "snack credits were being reduced to popcorn and cokes"

I know what you mean about "what if" posts being blown out of proportion. On another thread, maybe even on the restaurants board, there were a few DVC members complaining about the new DDP rules for 2008 and recommending all DVC members to complain long and loud about it. I simply mentioned that if DVC members scream too much about it they could decide that the "perk" isn't work the aggrivation and take it away from us.

The VERY NEXT POST read, "Is that true, DVC members can't get the DDP anymore?" Uh...not what I said. Go back and read it again, hello!
:confused3

DVC's strength is in its flexibility...I see this as a highly unlikely change for them to make.

I hope this doesn't come about. The flexibilty we enjoy right now is what sold us on Disney. When we were in market to buy more time at a timeshare, we added onto to our DVC. The other TS's we considered did not have the flexibility that we felt we needed. Between DH, DS's and my schedules, we rarely get to have a vacation with 7 nights. (Maybe after I retire in a few years things will be different.:confused3 )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter