Is it a pain to stay on Disney property and get to convention center?

The traffic on I-4 can be slow to stop and go heavy in places. But still probably faster than the surface roads. I would guess 20-40 minutes, depending on where you are staying and the traffic. The convention center is pretty easy to get to off of 528.

Spend some time with google maps to get a sense of the traffic and the route.

So yes, a bit of a pain, but offset by being in the Disney bubble at the end of the day.

Will you have tickets or an AP to get some park time while you are there?

The traffic on I-4 can be slow to stop and go heavy in places. But still probably faster than the surface roads. I would guess 20-40 minutes, depending on where you are staying and the traffic. The convention center is pretty easy to get to off of 528.

Spend some time with google maps to get a sense of the traffic and the route.

So yes, a bit of a pain, but offset by being in the Disney bubble at the end of the day.

Will you have tickets or an AP to get some park time while you are there?
Yes we would be getting park time. 20 min would be ok but anything more may not be.

Thanks!

Check to see if the convention you are attending has free shuttles from official hotels. If so, stay at one or drive to a hotel that offers free parking and take the shuttle for a less stressful trip.

Traffic around the convention center can be awful during large conventions like the International Builders Show.

We checked out of the Embassy near the convention center after an event we were attending at the Hilton Orlando, and relocated to a condo near Disney. We drove from the convention area to the condo at Windsor Hills around 3:30pm on a weekday and it took us about 30 minutes. We were not in any bad traffic jams, but the roads were busy for sure.

Yes we would be getting park time. 20 min would be ok but anything more may not be.

If 20 minutes is your limit then definitely spend time with Google to watch and absorb the traffic patterns. Traffic around WDW has continued to grow with the expected seasonal and holiday variations. And, as bearzabout notes, traffic around the convention center can vary greatly depending on the scope of the convention. We have only gone there during one of the "smaller" activities. I recall slowing down on I-4 as we went through the WDW area on a Saturday.

Yes we would be getting park time.
Wonderful! Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

It's longer than you think. We had to do this last year for an event and it was further than we thought.

We rented a car just for the one day over uber/lyft because we thought we would have a bit of time to get some groceries and stock up on some items. It was such a hassle to get to the car care centre to pick up, it was crowded and then returning the car and waiting for an uber was endless and uber messed it up and triple charged us (got it straightened out). I would just taxi/lyft back and forth and skip the car if we had to do it again.

The convention is not until mid July 2019. I guess my best bet, is staying at the Hilton for 2 nights then moving elsewhere. Thanks for your help so far.

I work near the convention center. When I drive down to Disney to check in, it’s 4:00 in the afternoon, so early rush hour. I usually take I-Drive down to 536, which is the Epcot exit off of I-4. It usually takes me 20 to 30 minutes depending on how I hit the lights and which resort I am going to, but it’s not nearly as stressful and busy as I-4. It’s also a pretty straightforward drive. I wouldn’t say it’s faster or slower than the interstate, but compared to the start and stop that is often encountered on I-4, it’s a constant and steady drive, so it feels shorter even though it’s almost the same distance.

I wouldn’t want to do that commute every day as part of a vacation, but if your convention is only part of the days you are in town it would be worth it.

yes. It's a pain.

I mean it's doable and not that bad, but I personally wouldn't stay on Disney property if anyone in my family was going to a convention there. I like the hotels and condos etc. around SeaWorld that is a lot closer to that. We really like the SeaWorld park too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!