Is it appropriate to take a baby to one of the resort lounges?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
There are a few evenings on our upcoming trip when we thought it might be fun to stop in for a drink and an appetizer or something at one of the resort lounges. We will have our 20 month old with us, though, and I wasn't sure if it would be inappropriate or not. I mean, I know he is technically allowed in there, but would you take your baby? The ones we were thinking about visiting were Victoria Falls, Terriroty Lounge, Bellvue Room, and Mizners. We aren't thinking of lingering for hours or anything, just having a quick drink and a bite to eat. We would, of course, leave if he were loud or causing any sort of disturbance. So, what do you think? Should we just skip it? Or would we be ok to take him with us? Please don't flame me or anything. I just honestly don't have a lot of "lounge" experience. :p Obviously, we would never take him to Pleasure Island or any place like that, but we have visited some of the resort lounges and the atmosphere is much different.

No flames here and hopefully there will be none. ;)

We have seen plenty of kids in the resort lounges, including our own. ;) My kids had a great time "drinking around the monorail" with a group of Disers and their kids last year and again this past summer with us and Grandma, LOL!

Bob, the entertainer in the POR lounge gets kids involved in his act.

On our last visit to Mizners Lounge we brought in the white chocolate Cinderellas Slippers and Dog Bones(we checked that it was ok first). Even with our kids, the staff was very accomodating and friendly.

I think as long as the kids arent bothering anyone, no one cares. Most people are there to enjoy themselves and dont care whats going on around them. At least thats how I feel.

Id go for it!

i'm not a big lounge person but i dont 'think from what i have seen the lounges are like normal bars but more kid friendly, course that might depend on the time of night and how happy your little one is at the time . because they are not really kid venues, some adults who might understand a crying baby at say ohana's might not be so understanding at a more adult place.personally since i doubt you will be ordering him his own martini:-)))i think a baby is less obstrusive than an older child who might be running around ( just trying to think how adult only people would view things since i have seen posts from people complaining kids are everywhere at wdw and the biggest complaints seem to be them crying or running around and things like that)

Thanks. I was just trying to get a feel for how others might view this. We have taken our little guy to lots of restaurants - Artist Point, Jiko, etc - and he has done really well. He has a very happy, patient personality and never minds at all being in his stroller or highchair. That said, we would be out of there in a heartbeat if he were fussy, crying, or being loud and disruptive in any way. I apreciate the feedback.

I've seen a number of children the age of your little one at WDW lounges. Often families will stop in at a lounge as they await dinner.
The Territory Lounge especially, as Whispering canyon is nearby.

It sounds like your little one is very well behaved so that shouldn't be a problem! WDW is def a kid-friendly place. I would however watch what time you're there. Seeing a child in a bar/lounge past 8 or 9pm or so would make me skeptical of the parents. If you're there around dinner time, I think it is understandable. Last year DH and I saw a couple with their kids (a son about 5, and an infant(!!!)) at Pleasure Island around midnight!! Both parents had drinks in hand, and kept shaking the son to make sure he stayed awake. I couldn't believe it! DH had to hold me back . . .

p.s. great pic you have in your profile!!! :)

Actually, it will probably be around 8pm or 9pm, since it would most likely be after we get back from the parks. We plan to have an early dinner, do a little more park fun, and then head back to the resorts for a quick drink and a snack before bed. I don't think it will be any problem for our little one, though, as he is quite the night owl. He's never, ever in bed by 9pm at home. 10pm is the earliest he ever goes down, and he has absolutey no problem with staying up till 11pm or so. Of course, he likes to sleep late, which is fine with me! Now, as I said earlier, there is no way I would take him to Pleasure Island - no matter what time it was. However, it doesn't sound like it will be any problem for him to sit with us while we have some nachos and margaritas. Thanks again!

Gem,

I remembered your little one was a premature infant like ours and a big concern we always had was smoking around him. I really know nothing about the lounges at WDW so this might not even be an issue but at most lounges it is. Just something to consider.

BTW, your little one looks wonderful!!!!
My 1lb 10ozer just turned 12 and is 5"4 and over a 100 lbs!!!!

Jordans' mom

Oh. I didn't even think about that. No, we definately wouldn't want to take him anywhere people were smoking. I didn't think that smoking was allowed in the lounges, though. Is it??

I believe there is no smoking in the lounges mentioned. Ive never really noticed any and I know when we were with smokers in the resort lounges, they left to go outside to smoke, so my guess is its not allowed. :D

We are WL Lounge Lizards;) and it's a pretty rowdy place-there's a big screen tv and always some kids in there.....also the Lounge at the Poly had tables spread out away from the main bar area....AKL was a little tight squeeze-might skip that one.

Have fun!:D

One of my fondest family memories is when we took our two 15 & 7 at the time to the karoke lounge in the Swan. At 9:00 it turned from sushi to karoke. The kids got sodas and sat down front with some other kids. We sat right behind them at a little table. My son got up and sang "Love Shack" and some nice girls who were on a convention/workshop thing accompanied him. It was FUN. I think DW is oh so much different than your usual lounge scene. Now, I agree with you about P.I. because it is a local hot spot, not just vacationers. Have a great time!

I think as long as you leave if he gets rowdy, you will be fine. I wish more parents would do that!!! Isn't all of WDW world non-smoking except for the designated smoking areas?

Originally posted by GEM
Actually, it will probably be around 8pm or 9pm, since it would most likely be after we get back from the parks. We plan to have an early dinner, do a little more park fun, and then head back to the resorts for a quick drink and a snack before bed. I don't think it will be any problem for our little one, though, as he is quite the night owl. He's never, ever in bed by 9pm at home. 10pm is the earliest he ever goes down, and he has absolutey no problem with staying up till 11pm or so. Of course, he likes to sleep late, which is fine with me! Now, as I said earlier, there is no way I would take him to Pleasure Island - no matter what time it was. However, it doesn't sound like it will be any problem for him to sit with us while we have some nachos and margaritas. Thanks again!

This sounds just like my DD! She is now 4 1/2 and has probably never gone to bed before 10pm! I say... take your kid and enjoy it! DD has always loved being out with us and has learned not only how she should behave in public, but also she gets to see how people misbehave! At 20 mos, you child isn't old enough to get that, but if he is well behaved and you like having him with you, you should definitely do it! Ignore anybody who doesn't agree!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter