Is it just me or does The Four Seasons Oahu look ugly?

I agree. But it was a Marriott before and just turned into 4S. I thought the pool size and the lobby area is hard to work with....

I think the Ko Olina 4S suffers by comparison to the much more attractive Aulani next door. The 4S is just another white box.

Compared to Aulani...ugly. But they are catering to an older market who like that bland look.

Anxious to hear more about the Atlantis that is supposed to be built next door. Only been to the Atlantis once in the Bahamas, but had a great time!::yes::

Weird thread, but I'll play along. Ugly compared to what? Disney's over the top take on some mythical hawaiian resort? It's understated, and seems meant to reflect high end casual.

Weird thread, but I'll play along. Ugly compared to what? Disney's over the top take on some mythical hawaiian resort? It's understated, and seems meant to reflect high end casual.
Compared to other Four Seasons :-) I am weird #sorrynotsorry

can I put this here
he is not not a ta

Meh. They’re on the same piece of land with a Disney resort. They really aren’t going to try to go more upscale in that location I know Disney charges an arm and a leg for aulani, but it’s still just a Disney resort.

I think Aulani raised the bar on what a Hawaiian hotel could be.
You're joking, right? hahaha. There were plenty of gorgeous full service resorts on Oahu alone long before Aulani. And there are plenty more after. If anything, Aulani has sort of dragged down the values in Ko'olina which is what my friends who live out there believe. They think Aulani has brought the wrong class of people into their secluded haven.

You're joking, right? hahaha. There were plenty of gorgeous full service resorts on Oahu alone long before Aulani. And there are plenty more after. If anything, Aulani has sort of dragged down the values in Ko'olina which is what my friends who live out there believe. They think Aulani has brought the wrong class of people into their secluded haven.
I can see that in terms of family destination vs not so much family destination just not necessarily class system.

When we went to Oahu in Sep 2016 we did lunch at Aulani and a breakfast at Marriott. There was very very few kids at Marriott Beach Club and the vibe seemed to be much more of a place to relax and with other facts and vibes of Ko Olina Resort area itself seems to be less aimed at being that family destination. Aulani however brings that family to that area. Whether that is a bad thing or not I suppose is an individual opinion.

Genuinely curious in a local's perspective and absolutely not looking to be inflammatory or controversial. We've never been to Hawaii but will be spending 6 days at Aulani in April for our 25th wedding anniversary. What do your friends mean when they talk about the 'wrong class of people?' Are they concerned about tourists in general or more family-oriented travelers? Again, just genuinely curious and respectfully interested in how locals view Aulani and the clientele it attracts.

well for one, I am not a local, I live here. There's a difference. It's more ignorant tourists that people have a problem with, and often the people at aulani have this notion that the whole island is one big disney creation. I've mentioned before that I spend a lot of time at paradise cove, and that's because I know people who live over there. The behavior from the families at aulani towards the island, the wildlife, and the people who live here is a bit nuts. Just about every single time we've run into disrespectful tourists in that location, it's been aulani guests. I'm not saying that every aulani guest is a problem. I'm saying that the problem tourists mostly seem to come from there.

Last edited:
well for one, I am not a local, I live here. There's a difference. It's more tourists ignorant tourists that people have a problem with and often the people at aulani have this notion that the whole island is one big disney creation. I've mentioned before that I spend a lot of time at paradise cove, and that's because I know people who live over there. The behavior from the families at aulani towards the island, the wildlife, and the people who live here is a bit nuts Just about every single time we've run into disrespectful tourists in that location, it's been aulani guests. I'm not saying that every aulani guest is a problem. I'm saying that the problem tourists mostly seem to come from there.

It makes sense. When you create a fantasy version of Hawaii, it is understandable that some people think this fantasy extends into the real world, a.k.a. Hawaii. Someone here said the aina wouldn’t fit Disney standards.

And, in regards to the Four Seasons being ugly when compared to Aulani, there is a thin line between fantasy and tacky. Aulani definitely hovers around that line. I still like it in a way, but in the same way I can find a gaudy wedding gown to be pretty under certain circumstances and on the right bride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!